• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'New' frangible ammos with new materials

Titan

Banned
I happened to catch an episode of 'Modern Marvels' the other day on bullets.

One of the topics covered was new frangible ammo that LE was said to be moving to which includes bullets formed from powdered metal and binders (Nylon in some cases).

Obviously the intent is to move away from lead ammo. The claim was that it can pierce body armor (car doors, etc.) on one side, but not come out the back (overpenetrate). They alleged that the stopping power was equal to or superior to tradional jacketed lead ammo.

These aren't Glazer bullets, but seem similar (turn to fragments/dust on impact).

Do any of you currently in law enforcement (or other fields) have experience with this new ammo in a real world scenario?

Is it realistic to believe that this type of ammo will supplant jacketed lead ammo any time soon?

I've been loading SinterFire bullets, but I can't say that I've gathered data on car doors or human targets. They break up on steel plates and don't flashback from 12 inches with a 45 ACP in my pistol. Same with SKS at three foot. The 308 Win splashed back with debris that was on the plate from four feet; nothing from the frangible bullet, however.
The few 125g rounds that a friend fired out of a .308 AR type shot where the 168g BTHP were shooting.
Casual observation seemed to show more movement of the swinging steel plate with the 108g & 125g .38 SinterFire than the standard 158g lead bullet, but that may just have been shot placement. Perhaps more of the bullets energy was expended on impact, but I can't prove this scientifically or otherwise.
http://sinterfire.com/
I believe CA restricts lead in hunting ammo, so brass solids and other non-lead bullets are required. This doesn't make lead-free frangibles the only option, of course, but I'd expect some newer data could be forth coming as hunters may use these type of projectiles..

Last edited:
Any 'unintended consequences' as far as the guns go?

For example, is there any difference in barrel wear? cleaning issues? etc.

this is from the sinterfire site

- Increased Velocity at reduced pressure
- Reduced Bore Fouling
- Increased Barrel Life
- Easy Bore Clean Up

Thanks. I saw that. I was interested more in experience vs. marketing claims.

The marketing claims are accurate. A few years ago there was a match at S&W that used allk International frang clean fire ammo. It was supplied as part of the match fee. Gun cleaned up real nice after, ammo was accurate, and clean.

There are a lot of test videos on You Tube.
\
Edit to add: The barrel wear part? The bullets are made from Sintered copper. Much softer than the barrel so I doubt there would be a problem.. If you would like to try some from a 357SIG some time, let me know. I have a bunch of factory clean fire ammo that uses Sinterfire type bullets

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom