• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hey Everyone, newish member here, but first time poster with some questions. I used to live in VT and though I didn’t own a firearm, I had many friends that did and became familiar with the safe and fun use of firearms for shooting sports. When I moved down to MA, I eventually applied for and received an LTC, back around 2015. Unfortunately, when I attempted to purchase a Remington 870 at Dicks (in NH) I was denied by the NCIS system. After much digging and delay, I was able to figure out that the denial was the result of an individual with a similar identity being declared mentally incompetent in Colorado in 2013 (a year I spent in MA, so impossible for it to have been me). I let some time pass and figured I’d try again in March. Dicks wouldn’t even run my check due to the previous denial blocking me in their system. I went to Kittery, picked out a Mossberg 500, and then was denied again.

With my first LTC renewal coming in (back in June), I figured it was time to take care of the issue, and after a lot of research, submitted a motion to a Colorado county court, which was granted by the judge. The judge said the record would be removed from the NCIS system. Shortly thereafter I submitted my renewal application along with the court’s decision and it was granted. I then got my appeal granted by FBI/NCIS.

Unfortunately, it was very frustrating to find out that all of the “entry level” type shotguns were sold out by then, including the Mossy 500 and it seems they all still are.
So long story short, after 5+ years, still looking to make that first purchase! Any advice on where to look for something like and 870/500? Just looking for a general purpose shotgun, ideally something that I can get a few barrels for as I want something that’s good for defending my home/family, as well as occasional clay shooting and possibly hunting. Thanks!

Hey Everyone, newish member here, but first time poster with some questions. I used to live in VT and though I didn’t own a firearm, I had many friends that did and became familiar with the safe and fun use of firearms for shooting sports. When I moved down to MA, I eventually applied for and received an LTC, back around 2015. Unfortunately, when I attempted to purchase a Remington 870 at Dicks (in NH) I was denied by the NCIS system. After much digging and delay, I was able to figure out that the denial was the result of an individual with a similar identity being declared mentally incompetent in Colorado in 2013 (a year I spent in MA, so impossible for it to have been me). I let some time pass and figured I’d try again in March. Dicks wouldn’t even run my check due to the previous denial blocking me in their system. I went to Kittery, picked out a Mossberg 500, and then was denied again.

With my first LTC renewal coming in (back in June), I figured it was time to take care of the issue, and after a lot of research, submitted a motion to a Colorado county court, which was granted by the judge. The judge said the record would be removed from the NCIS system. Shortly thereafter I submitted my renewal application along with the court’s decision and it was granted. I then got my appeal granted by FBI/NCIS.

Unfortunately, it was very frustrating to find out that all of the “entry level” type shotguns were sold out by then, including the Mossy 500 and it seems they all still are.
So long story short, after 5+ years, still looking to make that first purchase! Any advice on where to look for something like and 870/500? Just looking for a general purpose shotgun, ideally something that I can get a few barrels for as I want something that’s good for defending my home/family, as well as occasional clay shooting and possibly hunting. Thanks!
Which your location now. Also the classifieds are a good place to start

North Shore, MA. Seems like what I’m interested is moving very quickly in WTS but I will definitely keep checking!
Collectors in stoneham is a good place to start they have a lot of guns. But there's still a little weird about the covid thing. You have to call and make an appointment.

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the Berkshires and awaiting my LTC any day now. I've been into firearms for years, and have gone to the range quite a bit. Looking forward to improving my skills and knowledge on this forum. I've read a lot on here before joining. I have gotten some great information from here, especially while applying for my LTC.
Nice! Someone else from The 'Shire. Which range do you frequent?

Late Splash, Over.

Just moved back to New England in August and joined the site. Originally from eastern Mass, but left in the early 90s. Currently renting in the northern Lakes Region of NH with the intent to buy house+land enough for a small range nearby. Also slowly trying to clear out a garage+ full of acquired clutter that I don't use anymore.

Welcome! Lots of good folks here. Enjoy!@
Thank you!
Nice! Someone else from The 'Shire. Which range do you frequent?
That's awesome! Haven't seen too many people from The 'Shire on here. I recently moved back here. Use to go to a private range, which is no longer running due to noise complaints. Looking to get into a range in South County atm. Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!

That's awesome! Haven't seen too many people from The 'Shire on here. I recently moved back here. Use to go to a private range, which is no longer running due to noise complaints. Looking to get into a range in South County atm. Do you have any recommendations?
Stockbridge, Lee or Sheffield. They all have nice skeet ranges. I will likely take up skeet again this spring at Sheffield.
Sheffield and Lee have 200 yard rifle rages. Stockbridge has indoor archery.
They are all nice clubs and great people there. I'm a member at Great Barrington Fish and Game. Not much for amenities but they have 100 yard rifle and it's very close to my house so I often swing in on my way home and plink off a box of. 22. Most of my serious shooting is at a private range.

Thank you!

If you happen to find yourself in GB and want to grab an overpriced gourmet coffee, we could meet up at Fuel and talk guns.

Stockbridge, Lee or Sheffield. They all have nice skeet ranges. I will likely take up skeet again this spring at Sheffield.
Sheffield and Lee have 200 yard rifle rages. Stockbridge has indoor archery.
They are all nice clubs and great people there. I'm a member at Great Barrington Fish and Game. Not much for amenities but they have 100 yard rifle and it's very close to my house so I often swing in on my way home and plink off a box of. 22. Most of my serious shooting is at a private range.
Wow that's some great information! Much appreciated! Thank you! Sounds like some solid options. I've been to GB a long time ago. I'm hoping to get a membership in Lee.
If you happen to find yourself in GB and want to grab an overpriced gourmet coffee, we could meet up at Fuel and talk guns.

I will definitely keep that in mind! I'll have to let you know once my schedule is cleared up.

Hey All,
North shore (ish) I've lived in MA for 15 years and I'm still not sure where the lines are drawn lol. I grew up shooting with family members, and have been interested ever since. I just received my first LTC renewal, actually found this site from the officer that gave me said renewal. Looking forward to learning a thing or two from you all.

Hey All,
North shore (ish) I've lived in MA for 15 years and I'm still not sure where the lines are drawn lol. I grew up shooting with family members, and have been interested ever since. I just received my first LTC renewal, actually found this site from the officer that gave me said renewal. Looking forward to learning a thing or two from you all.
Welcome aboard, I don't know much. But I wouldn't have 75% of my firearms knowledge without NES. There is a lot of knowledgeable guys here. From Law to reloding and everything in between.

Hello I'm from Barnstable hoping to receive my LTC any day now I was told it has been activated at FRB on the 22 of September its been a long 63 day and still counting wait I'm looking forward to join my local gun range I do have the M&P shield M 2.0 9mm waiting for me at the shop aslo will be going green here soon as well

Good morning all. Finally got around to making an account here... have a number of friends who frequent NES. Strange times we find ourselves in...

I am based in central MA (one of the sleepy cow towns), hiding from the idiocy of Beacon Hill and DC as much as possible. I've perused the forums off and on for years, figured it was about time to sign up.

My hobby is refurbishing and reselling military diesel generators... something I think could be of benefit to folks here. Happy to hang around and talk about those evil blued weapons (and the somehow less dangerous wooden stock equivalents!).

new here! Nurse by training, live in Dighton. Found the forum scouring the web for local reliable source of info, and turned green almost instantly. Just purchased my first firearm, Sig P365. Considering joining the Taunton club. Huge thanks to the wealth of knowledge available here.

Hi everyone! I registered a couple months back, but just now got around to posting as I just got my license. I live up on Cape Ann, and I just recently purchased my first firearm, a Ruger 10/22 made in 1972! My big interest in firearms is for the historical and mechanical aspect of their development. I love finding out which designs influenced which, and in particular I am interested in military firearms from WW1 to the Cold War period. I love me some battle rifles! Also, if anyone needs info on Kalashnikovs, I have a wealth of reference manuals on them, and am happy to strike up a conversation about anything Kalash. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy in these crazy times!
-Alex

So many new members in the community, I can't keep up with welcoming everyone! [cheers] so here's another general "welcome": Welcome to all y'all. Please enjoy your stay. Good luck to everyone who is waiting on their LTC; I hope you receive it sooner rather than later. In the mean time, please join in on the various threads on the forum. Looking forward to seeing you guys around.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Southern NH checking in. Been checking the place out before I joined. Now spending a little more time getting the feel.
Mostly building AR platform rifles but someday hope (faint as it is) to get rid of most and get some nice traditional steel and wood rifles.

So many new members in the community, I can't keep up with welcoming everyone! [cheers] so here's another general "welcome": Welcome to all y'all. Please enjoy your stay. Good luck to everyone who is waiting on their LTC; I hope you receive it sooner rather than later. In the mean time, please join in on the various threads on the forum. Looking forward to seeing you guys around.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]
Thats what she said

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]
referring to your signatures, lov em. Erik Here. I was born'n raised in MA. Lived all over and in MA for the last 12 years. Moving to NH soon. Luv'n this site!

Hey everyone, after a very long licensing process to get my LTC in Wilmington, MA, I'm finally in! Went by a the Gun Parlor in Worcester and didn't see anything I really felt like I needed, they had a Sig 226 DAK, but I didn't like the DAO, I was thinking about leaving when they said "one sec, lemme check something", This beauty was just being received, so I'm now the proud owner of a P226 mk25! I love it so much!!! Now to find those ever elusive MA compliant pre ban hi capacity mags!

Attachments

• 122499465_1239494119745680_4781123853872100875_n.jpg
    122499465_1239494119745680_4781123853872100875_n.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 21
Hey everyone, after a very long licensing process to get my LTC in Wilmington, MA, I'm finally in! Went by a the Gun Parlor in Worcester and didn't see anything I really felt like I needed, they had a Sig 226 DAK, but I didn't like the DAO, I was thinking about leaving when they said "one sec, lemme check something", This beauty was just being received, so I'm now the proud owner of a P226 mk25! I love it so much!!! Now to find those ever elusive MA compliant pre ban hi capacity mags!

Hi Shevchenko, welcome to NES! Thanks for the intro post. We all love reading these, well, at least I do :) Congrats on finally getting that LTC! Get the P226 to a range yet? Can't go wrong with a Sig as your first beauty. Mine was a P238. Look forward to seeing your posts around the forum.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Are you going to get the triji nightsights for it, or bolt on a red dot?

Hi Shevchenko, welcome to NES! Thanks for the intro post. We all love reading these, well, at least I do :) Congrats on finally getting that LTC! Get the P226 to a range yet? Can't go wrong with a Sig as your first beauty. Mine was a P238. Look forward to seeing your posts around the forum.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hello Cindy!
thanks! and range day tomorrow!

-Nick

That's crazy, a few days ago I was out at The Gun Parlor in Worcestor and a guy there was explaining a similar story, he was there almost 2 hours before being told his check came back as "Delayed" so he couldn't buy that day.

Back
Top Bottom