New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hi All,

New forum member here. I’ve known about this site for a while thanks to google-searches about the sad state of our 2A rights in MA (Central Ma, checking in). My interest increased over the past month now that our rights have been even more thoroughly trampled by the Gov and AG.

Thanks to all of you folks for creating a great resource and what appears to be a great community for shooters, 2A advocates. I’m learning a ton from you already.

Hi All,

New forum member here. I’ve known about this site for a while thanks to google-searches about the sad state of our 2A rights in MA (Central Ma, checking in). My interest increased over the past month now that our rights have been even more thoroughly trampled by the Gov and AG.

Thanks to all of you folks for creating a great resource and what appears to be a great community for shooters, 2A advocates. I’m learning a ton from you already.

Hi, csobrien. How's it going? Welcome to the forum, glad to see you here. We appreciate your intro post. Glad to hear you're finding the forum useful. You don't need to be an "expert" to participate [smile] so hope to see you in the forums some more.

Cheers [mg]
Cindy

Hello everyone,
Joined a few days ago (actually a day or so after I turned 18) I got my FID around 16 so since then I've been waiting to turn 18 to go get my first gun. Unfortunately baker who clearly gives zero shits about our 2a rights closed the gun stores due to the "pandemic" so I've been unable to acquire my first gun. Actually was directed to NES buy a fellow at gun parlor who I ran into while seeing if they may be open during all this bs, only to find out every gun shop was closed. It just baffles me to see the state where the American revolution started to now be so anti gun, and to think that at one point in Massachusetts you would actually be fined as a 15yr old for coming into town without a firearm and ammunition. Anyways got my eyes peeled for an sks that isn't too far out of my price range as that's as good a SHTF riffle I'll be able to get till I can get an LTC A in a few years.

Hello everyone,
Joined a few days ago (actually a day or so after I turned 18) I got my FID around 16 so since then I've been waiting to turn 18 to go get my first gun. Unfortunately baker who clearly gives zero shits about our 2a rights closed the gun stores due to the "pandemic" so I've been unable to acquire my first gun. Actually was directed to NES buy a fellow at gun parlor who I ran into while seeing if they may be open during all this bs, only to find out every gun shop was closed. It just baffles me to see the state where the American revolution started to now be so anti gun, and to think that at one point in Massachusetts you would actually be fined as a 15yr old for coming into town without a firearm and ammunition. Anyways got my eyes peeled for an sks that isn't too far out of my price range as that's as good a SHTF riffle I'll be able to get till I can get an LTC A in a few years.
Go green, then check the ads. An SKS should be an easy find.

Been here about a year but here's my first post! *Anyone in MA, what's a reasonable amount of land you would need to safely/legally create a decent short range in your yard, maybe 50-100 yds range? I live in a densely populated area but going to be searching in the next couple years for a new place to move. Any insight is appreciated.

500feet from your neighbor with a good back stop

Welcome to NES! New folks should check in here and say HI!

Tell us about yourself...Where you live, your firearms experience, and how you found Northeastshooters! Thanks!
Hi, I'm a former Marine currently living and working in Western MA. Found myself checking in on this site multiple times for info on how to maneuver through this state's gun laws and I've always been able to get guidance. Looking forward to being apart of this community!

Hi, I'm a former Marine currently living and working in Western MA. Found myself checking in on this site multiple times for info on how to maneuver through this state's gun laws and I've always been able to get guidance. Looking forward to being apart of this community!

Hi, welcome! Thanks for your service. Glad you've found valuable information here. Looking forward to seeing you around more in the various threads.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Welcome!
Be sure to check in here:
Service List

Hi All, I've been lurking here for a few months now and figured it's about time I say hello. I've been shooting at On-Target in Dracut for the past several months, but I'm looking for a club. Country Pond Fish and Game Club looks good and is fairly close to where I live. Hoping to make an introduction there once all this crap blows over and things open up again. Anyway, I want to thank all that contribute their knowledge to this site. It's been a great resource and I appreciate it.

Y-D, welcome and +1 for being green with your first post! What little I know about Country Pond is all positive. When one of my boys and I were taking archery classes at Big Al's, the bi-monthly matches were done at CPF&G. Seemed like a nice facility with good people.

Hi All, I've been lurking here for a few months now and figured it's about time I say hello. I've been shooting at On-Target in Dracut for the past several months, but I'm looking for a club. Country Pond Fish and Game Club looks good and is fairly close to where I live. Hoping to make an introduction there once all this crap blows over and things open up again. Anyway, I want to thank all that contribute their knowledge to this site. It's been a great resource and I appreciate it.
Close to home is always a plus. My club is 5 minutes away so I can swing in after work and let off some steam by beating up the swinging plates.

I'm Dan Mangan, a born-and-bred certified Ma**h*** originally from Lowell.

Been shooting since 1964 when I inherited a Winchester '06 (with silencer!), a Lefever Nitro Special and a Winchester Model 55 takedown in .30 WCF.

I've been lurking upon NES for years, but after learning so much I felt guilty about not joining. Went green a couple months ago and have met some really great people here.

In 1983 I escaped from Massachusetts with my wife and little boy to bucolic, free-state NH. While I missed patronizing Tag's gun shop in North Chelmsford , it turned out to be the best move we ever made. And it really worked out after Tag's co-owner Bob Parlangeli (along with Ralph Demicco) bought Riley's a little later on. Spent beaucoup dollars at Riley's over the years there and was most disheartened to see it end the way it did. I was very sad to hear of Bob's passing in January.

As for my gun interests, I joke that I never met a gun I didn't like. But after owning dozens of firearms over the years, -- I'm almost 66 -- and enduring a lot of trends, I currently go with what I know works best for me. Thus, my EDC is a Bulgarian Makarov. My preferred home defense weapon is a Winchester model 1897. When it comes to battle rifles, I like the Garand. As for the AR platform variants -- (I served in the U.S Army on active duty from December 1973 to December 1976) -- I've owned several and can either take them or leave them. Would actually prefer an AK or SKS. For historical fun, I love shooting the Carcano. (I was nine when JFK was assassinated. and remember it well.) For pure shits and grins, I enjoy plinking offhand at 100 yards with cheap POS handguns. Don't laugh, their accuracy can be most surprising! I'm also partial to 1960s and 1970s S&W revolvers, of which I own several.

I've had an LTC since 1975, which was the outcome of a publicized Massachusetts court battle with my local chief of police. (That's right, kids. Some things never change.)

Today, I'm a semi-retired polygraph examiner. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the polygraph process!

My club, Pinnacle Mountain Fish & Game in Lyndeborough NH -- to which I have belonged for well over 20 years -- is a great no-frills resource. Highly recommended.

My non-shooting hobbies include motorcycles, sports cars, and hiking the trails with my dog.

Last edited:
Hello everyone from the greater Boston area. Moved here around a year ago from Oregon, still waiting for the local PD to open up so I can get my LTC. I'm looking to get into the local shooting competitions if there are any in this state. Thanks for having me, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hello everyone from the greater Boston area. Moved here around a year ago from Oregon, still waiting for the local PD to open up so I can get my LTC. I'm looking to get into the local shooting competitions if there are any in this state. Thanks for having me, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

What sort of competitions? One of the pros of having litanies of gun clubs in New England is that there's a generally healthy competitive shooting community.

I would say precision rifle/longer range shooting, but I don't know how realistic that is here in the northeast. Otherwise speed steel/3 gun could be fun

I would say precision rifle/longer range shooting, but I don't know how realistic that is here in the northeast. Otherwise speed steel/3 gun could be fun

You're in luck. PRS precision rifle leagues are just starting off here in New England. There's also a vibrant multigun community in RI and NH, with about three or four clubs in Mass that have multigun matches.

https://minutemanprl.org/

PRS calendar

RI Multigun 2020

The best tool you can have to find matches in your area is Practiscore. Practiscore is a match registration website. Most clubs require registration, but not payment, in advance on Practiscore.

Matches Search | PractiScore

You're in luck. PRS precision rifle leagues are just starting off here in New England. There's also a vibrant multigun community in RI and NH, with about three or four clubs in Mass that have multigun matches.

https://minutemanprl.org/

PRS calendar

RI Multigun 2020

The best tool you can have to find matches in your area is Practiscore. Practiscore is a match registration website. Most clubs require registration, but not payment, in advance on Practiscore.

Matches Search | PractiScore

Awesome! Thank you for all this info. I'm not familiar with the laws for traveling out of state with your firearm, can I still participate in events out of Mass?

Awesome! Thank you for all this info. I'm not familiar with the laws for traveling out of state with your firearm, can I still participate in events out of Mass?

Yes, in RI, NH, ME, and VT. RI has a specific statutory exemption, RIGL 11-47-10, which allows people to travel to ranges without a carry permit:

11-47-10

NH, VT, and ME are constitutional carry states. I'm not familiar with CT laws to say, so you would want to Google that if you want to compete in CT.

Edit: note that you wouldn't be able to carry into RI. You would have to put the guns in a case, unloaded, and preferably locked. The other three states usually require unloaded long guns inside vehicles. You could carry a handgun into them, however.

Welcome to NES! New folks should check in here and say HI!

Tell us about yourself...Where you live, your firearms experience, and how you found Northeastshooters! Thanks!
Hi Everyone,IMG_1579.jpgIMG_1580.jpgIMG_1582.jpg
I am a recent first -time gun owner. I got my LTC this March, after moving to Kingston, MA. I have long wanted to partake in my 2nd Amendment Rights, and I'm glad to be here! I bought what some may say a crazy choice for my first gun, a Ruger GP100 .357 Mag. Since the ranges have been closed, I have only been able to shoot a little on my own property. I think I can handle it pretty well, but I'd like to get to a range where I'm not worried about the noise and neighbors.
I also acquired a Boston Police marked S&W Model 10-5 snubbie, which was born the same year as me (1966)! I bought some .38 Spcl standard pressure rounds for it. I'm a bit concerned about using +P through it.
Thanks!
Add: I also have sent a letter request to S&W in order to get some provenance on the 10-5.

Last edited:
Hello from northern VT. I'm Erik. Been shooting since 2008 when I bought my first rifle, a 1938 Mosin Nagant. I collect WWII surplus plus some Cold War stuff. Notable firearms in my collection include an Aussie L1A1 SLR, Hi Power Mk2, Aussie No1 Enfield, a last ditch Type 99 and my 1943 Springfield M1. I also dabble in ARs, SIG and HK pistols. These days most of my shooting revolves around staying proficient with my AR and pistol. I'd like to get into 2 gun but there doesn't appear to be any matches in my area.

Back
Top Bottom