New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

What's up guys, my name's Jon live up on the NH border mass side :(. Been shooting for about 3 years now. My first firearm was a vp9. Just built an Ar15 have a 22 and a Sig 229 and glock 19, with many more to come. Been on the site for a bit, just got my green thingy. Don't know what else to say, looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Welcome man and good choice of guns. Bookmark the "new posts" button at the top to get the latest posts and get involved in the community quickly. What got you into guns?

Thanks dude! I've always liked guns since I was a kid shooting my pellet gun and all that jazz. I like shooting it's a form of Zen for me lots of focus and using the firearm as it was a part of me, but my aim still stinks.

Howdy all! My names Pat, finally able to post and look at the pics you all put up (thanks webmaster derek!!!) Im a Northeast MA resident. Ive been lurking since I applied for my permit in MA back in July. Bought my first 2 firearms since then, first a S & W MP 15-22 (MA Compliant), then a week later my pistol came in, a LE VP9 in FDE. Welder and Industrial Gas by trade. Now im just looking for gun clubs haha.

Welcome to NES Pat!

What's up guys, my name's Jon live up on the NH border mass side :(. Been shooting for about 3 years now. My first firearm was a vp9. Just built an Ar15 have a 22 and a Sig 229 and glock 19, with many more to come. Been on the site for a bit, just got my green thingy. Don't know what else to say, looking forward to chatting with you guys.

Welcome aboard!

elcome!
W

Hi all. Complete newbie to the forum and to the world of firearms. I was researching the application process in MA and kept on finding links back to this form from Google searches. People seem very insightful here on the process, so thought I should join up.

Took a hands-on safety course at a certified instructor in Everett. Just submitted my Class A LTC application to Cambridge this week. Heard this is a tough town to get a Class A, but doesn't hurt to try. My motivation is one part SHTF prep, one part needing a new hobby, and one part having a respectful fascination with firearms. Hoping to get that license and buy an EDC gun like a P938 (picking up the lingo, as you can see).

Welcome ReluctantDecoy! [wave]
I found this site 9 years ago the same way you did, except I was moving to MA and needed to figure out the batshit crazy laws.
Good job going for the LTC-A. No reason not to even if all you want is .22 rifles. The cost and process is the same for all the levels of licenses(but you probably already know that[wink]).
Sorry you're in Cambridge. If you haven't seen the Guide to gun rights in your MA town thread, brows it. The few mentions of Cambridge are pretty old, but I doubt much has changed. But be optimistic. Some state laws have changed supposedly making it harder for a town Chief to deny LTC-As for no legally defined reason. If the new law ever really gets respected I think there's a few court cases these Chiefs will need to lose first.

The P938 is a helluva sexy piece of machinery. Before you buy, consider going to a place like Manchester Firing Line that rents guns in their range and try a few. I really wanted a P938, but for some odd reason I shot much better with an LC9s. It felt better in my big hand too. I didn't expect that, but when I drove back into MA an LC9s is what I bought.

Last edited:
Thanks Bigpick & Cockpitbob. I was originally going to try for a Class B or FID, but after reading up on the topic, realized that many people were saying to shoot for the stars because the worst that can happen (aside from flat out denial) is you get a lesser license.

As far as the P938. Read that 9mm might be a good entry caliber in that is isn't too crazy on the recoil, but it is something that will be long term viable even after getting more experience shooting. Then again, I've only shot 22's and 1 shotgun slug, so I don't really know. I am pretty short and skinny, so I need a smaller framed gun. Was eyeballing Glock 43, but I heard those are no longer available new these days. Just want something to build confidence and learn with.

Thanks Bigpick & Cockpitbob. I was originally going to try for a Class B or FID, but after reading up on the topic, realized that many people were saying to shoot for the stars because the worst that can happen (aside from flat out denial) is you get a lesser license.

As far as the P938. Read that 9mm might be a good entry caliber in that is isn't too crazy on the recoil, but it is something that will be long term viable even after getting more experience shooting. Then again, I've only shot 22's and 1 shotgun slug, so I don't really know. I am pretty short and skinny, so I need a smaller framed gun. Was eyeballing Glock 43, but I heard those are no longer available new these days. Just want something to build confidence and learn with.
Class B is non-existent now in MA. Hell, MA is so effed up they can't even just call it an LTC, it's still called a class A LTC....
http://goal.org/masslawpages/classaandbdifference.html
9 is fine for carry gun. Bigger than a mouse gun (.380) and some claim it can take down a bear [rofl]
Don't be discouraged when shooting the 938 if it ain't a 25yd x ring gun. It ain't meant for that. Short barrel = short sighting radius = less accurate over distance. It;s a defense gun, close up work.
Get something longer if you want to target shoot, but never DON'T practice with your carry piece.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Class B is non-existent now in MA. Hell, MA is so effed up they can't even just call it an LTC, it's still called a class A LTC....
http://goal.org/masslawpages/classaandbdifference.html
9 is fine for carry gun. Bigger than a mouse gun (.380) and some claim it can take down a bear [rofl]
Don't be discouraged when shooting the 938 if it ain't a 25yd x ring gun. It ain't meant for that. Short barrel = short sighting radius = less accurate over distance. It;s a defense gun, close up work.
Get something longer if you want to target shoot, but never DON'T practice with your carry piece.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

lol. Goes to show you how outdated Cambridge is. They still show "Class B LTC" as an option on their application between "Class A LTC" and "FID". I wasn't exactly thrilled with the Cambridge application process. The app that you download from Cambridge Police's website references "question 10", but doesn't actually have any numbered questions. I had to find a full Comm of MA application to figure out what that even meant. I get there with my completed application and detailed answers and letter for reason for the firearm, and the woman asks me each question while typing it into a computer. Why did I bring a paper copy? Then when it came time for the "why do you want this" question, she said my letter was too long. She said that she would just type "for all lawful purposes". That's BS from what I've read, so I insisted she at least reference the letter and that I world with cash often (true).

How about that 2nd Amendment? Any motivation for that?? [laugh]

Welcome and glad there's more Boston area people here. [cheers]

Ha! I think that goes as well as saying "to reinact the mirror scene from Taxi Driver" these days. Joking aside, I was kind of pissed that Cambridge was trying to make me put down "for all lawful purposes". While that's the generic answer, I actually have more direct and meaningful reasons that they didn't feel like typing into the computer. I hope that doesn't put my app in jeopardy.

Hi all! My (real) name is Bill and I'm from western Mass. I've had people suggest joining this forum over the years but for some reason or another never got around to it. Then, last night while at a public hearing concerning a local gun range a guy mentioned NES in conversation concerning activism and the law; so here I am! Figured I can't preach the importance of sticking together, helping each other, and staying informed, and overlook such a prominent organization as NES. While a life-long firearm enthusiast I'm a bit of a new comer to ownership, etc. Have to admit the culmination of the last eight years prompted me to be involved and now that I don't have any car projects firearms are a bit more affordable to me. Pardon me while I learn my way around.

Hi all! My (real) name is Bill and I'm from western Mass. I've had people suggest joining this forum over the years but for some reason or another never got around to it. Then, last night while at a public hearing concerning a local gun range a guy mentioned NES in conversation concerning activism and the law; so here I am! Figured I can't preach the importance of sticking together, helping each other, and staying informed, and overlook such a prominent organization as NES. While a life-long firearm enthusiast I'm a bit of a new comer to ownership, etc. Have to admit the culmination of the last eight years prompted me to be involved and now that I don't have any car projects firearms are a bit more affordable to me. Pardon me while I learn my way around.

Hi Bill. Welcome to NES. Glad to have you here in the community. A lot of us have been recommended to NES, as you have, as being a place to go to for knowledge and comradery. Looking forward to you participating in the forum.

Consider becoming a green member at some point. You'll be able to participate in giveaways, group buys, meet ups, and shoots, as well as member only discussion threads.

Cheers! [mg]

-Cindy

Hi Everyone! I was searching for some information online and found this forum. I've been handling firearms since I was in Boy Scouts and I'll be 40 this weekend, but I'm always looking to learn more. I was in the Navy for 12 years and now work in MA and live in NH. I love to hunt with my 2 girls when I can drag them out. Looking forward to learning what I can from you guys.

wait...how'd you get to have two girls if you were in the Navy?

...that was a gay joke.

welcome aboard shipmate! or should we call you seaman? i'm the forums resident part-time Marine POG :D

semper sometimes, rah?

- - - Updated - - -

what kinda guns do you like?

oh me? i like them all. older and shittier the better though.

Hi Everyone! I was searching for some information online and found this forum. I've been handling firearms since I was in Boy Scouts and I'll be 40 this weekend, but I'm always looking to learn more. I was in the Navy for 12 years and now work in MA and live in NH. I love to hunt with my 2 girls when I can drag them out. Looking forward to learning what I can from you guys.

Welcome! Thank you for your service. I'll assume you live in southern NH since you travel to MA for work? If so, consider joining up as a green (paid) member, you'll be close enough to join us at the shoots up at Monadnock R&G Club in Peterborough, NH. There are also some meet ups in north shore, MA. I'm sure there are some in southern NH along the border as well. If face to face ain't your thing (and it's not for many members hahaha), there are still giveaways where you can win guns, ammo, shirts, holsters, and all kinds of other things, also group buys where you get discounts, as well as member only threads.

See ya around the forum [mg]

-Cindy

...that was a gay joke.

welcome aboard shipmate! or should we call you seaman? i'm the forums resident part-time Marine POG :D

Way to show him the sense of friendship here on NES [laugh]

...that was a gay joke.

semper sometimes, rah?

- - - Updated - - -

what kinda guns do you like?

oh me? i like them all. older and shittier the better though.

You sound just like the Marines that I work with... except you can spell. [grin] I like all kinds of guns, but I own a .22 bolt action, a .22 AR, a 9mm XDM, a .50 cal muzzleloader, Kimber .308 bolt action, and a 12 gauge. I would kind of like to get a 30-30 or a 30-06 for hunting. My .308 is a little heavy.

Welcome! Thank you for your service. I'll assume you live in southern NH since you travel to MA for work? If so, consider joining up as a green (paid) member, you'll be close enough to join us at the shoots up at Monadnock R&G Club in Peterborough, NH. There are also some meet ups in north shore, MA. I'm sure there are some in southern NH along the border as well. If face to face ain't your thing (and it's not for many members hahaha), there are still giveaways where you can win guns, ammo, shirts, holsters, and all kinds of other things, also group buys where you get discounts, as well as member only threads.

See ya around the forum [mg]

-Cindy

Way to show him the sense of friendship here on NES [laugh]

Thanks. I do live in Southern NH, in Londonderry. We used to go 4 wheeling out in the Monadnock area and we have some good friends that live in Rindge. I'll definitely look into the membership.

Back
Top Bottom