• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Congradulations! Getting an LTC in Boston scores you extra points. Any gun shops in Boston?
Got my LTC un-restricted in Boston in the mail this week. Bought a Sig Sauer P239. So psyched to head to a range/club tomorrow. This forum is great, and a bit overwhelming. So much to learn. Very happy to be here. I'm 35 and finally exercising my right. Cheers!

Just found this forum after my denial. I am not happy. They tried to say I was lying when I didn't mention a ticket I got 22 years ago. And that's after I explained why I didn't, because I didn't know that ticket (from another state, dismissed) was considered criminal. Perhaps everyone should be advised to have a background check done professionally instead of relying on memory to answer their questions.

I bet if you ask most folks (not engineers) to solve for x using the quadratic formula 20+ years after high school, 75+% couldn't. And I bet the same holds true for distinctions of civil vs criminal traffic offenses in some other states.

Hello NES! I have enjoyed this forum for some time now and finally went green about a week ago. I am relatively new to firearms, I have been shooting for a few years on and off. I really caught the shooting bug about a year ago or so. (im pretty sure NES had something to do with that) Started the year off good. Applied for an LTC-A and got it, went to Four Seasons got an M&P 40c that shoots low left. Just kidding the M&P shoots good, me on the other hand....ahh workin on it. :) Looking forward to the Green Shoots, making plans to go to the Spring Trigger Breakout in NH. Im still working out the the details (last sentence is code for im married) Hope to see you guys there...and girls

Last edited:
This is outrageous. The Chief knows that a dismissed traffic violation is not a reason to deny a LTC. I would try to get a meeting with him and I wish you the best. I hate to see you go through the appeal piece and have to find a lawyer. If you know a state rep., try to get them to intervene. Good luck.
Just found this forum after my denial. I am not happy. They tried to say I was lying when I didn't mention a ticket I got 22 years ago. And that's after I explained why I didn't, because I didn't know that ticket (from another state, dismissed) was considered criminal. Perhaps everyone should be advised to have a background check done professionally instead of relying on memory to answer their questions.

I bet if you ask most folks (not engineers) to solve for x using the quadratic formula 20+ years after high school, 75+% couldn't. And I bet the same holds true for distinctions of civil vs criminal traffic offenses in some other states.

Hello and welcome Flytrap and Patriot0717

Sorry to hear of the denial Flytrap - I wish you the best in trying to resolve that...

Thanks for the support of the forum Patriot - glad to have you on board here.

what's up guys. been lurking for a few weeks and figured i'd intro...i am currently awaiting my appointment for my LTC application in Methuen, MA and plan on applying for membership in the Pelham Fish & Game Club as it's right around the corner from my house. interested in target/rec shooting mainly but do plan on CCW if i get the unrestricted license. i'm also interested in IDPA but need to look more into it. my 1st firearm will be an M&P 9 (already on layaway) but plan on picking up Remington 870, and prolly a Ruger 10/22 or other comparable .22.

What people need to realize is that this is a "trick question" on the LTC app!!

MANY folks are issued "criminal citations" and are clueless that this counts and should be reported. LEOs have an option to make an arrest OR to issue a criminal citation and send the person on their way. The criminal citation means that they must show up in court or otherwise deal with it, but on a background check it WILL SHOW UP!

The above is not a MA (or "other state") thing, but exists probably in every state.

You should NEVER fill out legal forms w/o all the info being thought thru thoroughly and verified as TRUE! That's why I advise people to fill in the paper LTC app and not just show up to answer questions at the PD. Easy to forget something and once you sign it, you HAVE PERJURED YOURSELF, even if not intentionally.

Good luck. I hope you persevere and win, but it will be expensive and painful to do so.

what's up guys. been lurking for a few weeks and figured i'd intro...i am currently awaiting my appointment for my LTC application in Methuen, MA and plan on applying for membership in the Pelham Fish & Game Club as it's right around the corner from my house. interested in target/rec shooting mainly but do plan on CCW if i get the unrestricted license. i'm also interested in IDPA but need to look more into it. my 1st firearm will be an M&P 9 (already on layaway) but plan on picking up Remington 870, and prolly a Ruger 10/22 or other comparable .22.

Welcome Blix666,

Sounds like your on the right track with your list of acquisitions :)
I shoot over at HHRG in Haverhill myself, not exactly neighbors but close enough.
Hope you enjoy the forum and best of luck on the ltc processs.

Is this just regarding a speeding ticket?! I guess I'll introduce myself as I ask. I am new to shooting but have gone to the range a few times and I'm completely addicted now. I put all my paperwork in this past Friday and had to wait until May 2nd to do the shooting test (I'm a Boston resident, applied for class A but will probably get restriction). I was pulled over for speeding in Nh a month or so ago. I've appealed it and have a court date set. Will this really potentially deny me? I could have sworn I read that the background check didn't include traffic violations (unless an arrest was made). Any advice would be helpful, I'd be furious if I got denied because of this.

See my previous post, sorry new to this.

QUOTE=LenS;1834245]What people need to realize is that this is a "trick question" on the LTC app!!

MANY folks are issued "criminal citations" and are clueless that this counts and should be reported. LEOs have an option to make an arrest OR to issue a criminal citation and send the person on their way. The criminal citation means that they must show up in court or otherwise deal with it, but on a background check it WILL SHOW UP!

The above is not a MA (or "other state") thing, but exists probably in every state.

You should NEVER fill out legal forms w/o all the info being thought thru thoroughly and verified as TRUE! That's why I advise people to fill in the paper LTC app and not just show up to answer questions at the PD. Easy to forget something and once you sign it, you HAVE PERJURED YOURSELF, even if not intentionally.

Good luck. I hope you persevere and win, but it will be expensive and painful to do so.[/QUOTE]

This shouldn't disqualify you. The problem with Massachusetts law is that the Chief of Police in each community is identified as the "issuing autority." They have the power. Some communites the Chief's are professionals, in others, complete bastards. I don't beleive the Chief of Police in Boston is one of these B Chiefs, it is just Boston does have additional training requirements as other communites, at the expense of the LTC applicant. I would try not to worry, and just see what happens on May 2. Best of luck.
Is this just regarding a speeding ticket?! I guess I'll introduce myself as I ask. I am new to shooting but have gone to the range a few times and I'm completely addicted now. I put all my paperwork in this past Friday and had to wait until May 2nd to do the shooting test (I'm a Boston resident, applied for class A but will probably get restriction). I was pulled over for speeding in Nh a month or so ago. I've appealed it and have a court date set. Will this really potentially deny me? I could have sworn I read that the background check didn't include traffic violations (unless an arrest was made). Any advice would be helpful, I'd be furious if I got denied because of this.

Guess it's time for an introduction. I'm 45, have 3 kids and live just north of Worcester. As far back as I can remember I've shot and owned firearms.
Had a long recess from shooting since all the BS in '98 went down and getting the required permits was a pain. That and that's when we started a family and just did not have the time. Just recently applied for my Class A. Cheif had no problem , now I'll see what the State Police come back with in 3 weeks (according to the officer). Love all types of firearms, from 22LR to large bore black powder. Plan on getting back into reloading, luckily I saved all the equipment. Now that it looks like I'll be able to shot handguns I'm starting to research them. Very fond of revolvers but a pistol is not out of the question. Also would like recomendations to local shooting ranges.

Was the denial from the local Cheif of Police or did this come from the State Police? I'm still trying to figure out who decise on what class of permit.

Was the denial from the local Chief of Police or did this come from the State Police? I'm still trying to figure out who decise on what class of permit.

Not the place for this question . . . but . . .

When the PD puts your info in MIRCS, they check off the Class of permit and MIRCS assigns a LTC # ending in "A" or "B" (the letter indicates the class of license). Restrictions (if any) are also inputted to MIRCS at that time . . . so for all those that are scared to call, worried that they will get bumped down/restricted because they ask about the permit they have been waiting xx weeks for, it's all paranoia. Even if you are denied outright, that LTC # is still assigned to that person with a tag of "denied" attached to it.

Welcome to NES!

Hey Everyone,

New guy here from Fitchburg. The want for a gun for protection/ fun target shooting just got to me last week and found your forum randomly and just went to town reading and researching from laws to the diff and best hangun for a beginner on here. I have shot .22 rifle waay back in camp when in 3rd-4th grade to a few times shooting glocks, AR, and a few other auto pistols in manchester recently. So I am still a new person getting into this whole different, interesting, and fun 'country' given right.

I want to get the application process started soon, after thinking I would def be able to get a LTC-A unrestricted to thinking I would not be able to have a firearm at all ever from one past OUI ~9 years ago that got thrown out (not convicted) per CWOF. I know this may keep me from LTC-A unrestricted since I could not be a "suitable" person, but talking with a best friend that is a cop in NH, he said I should have no problem with 1 of these on record, which I am hoping, but wont get hopes up. Stupid dumb mistake at 19, 28 now, and newly married and will have some kids running around soon enough i hope! Reading about the laws and everyones responses helped me out a ton in this area, so thanks to those people. I know Fitchburg can be a tough place to get a LTC-A unrestricted now, and there is a long wait. I'll be hoping for the best. I guess my first step is a safety course, so if someone could help me out with that. I work in Woburn, so these 2 areas where I could take some courses or what not would help a ton.

As for a first handgun. I know revolver is the best choice for a new guy, but I have shot a few auto's and never had any problems with those. I first started off thinking getting a glock, since shot great with those in 9mm. But I have looked a bunch from Walther, S&W, Sig, Taurus, Ruger and a few others for a solid 9mm. I will have to try a few out, and I may have some help and options in NH. I won't go alll out for my first one, but to get my first and then move on from there, I can tell this will be an addicting hobby!

OH, this going green, you can send check/ MO somewhere correct? Cuz that would be something I would be interested in doing.

Thanks!

Look at all the new names;

Welcome to Dontmiss, Brunub, WBspectrum, and Sweed

Glad to have you all here. Plenty of information to be had so make sure to try the search first.
Enjoy the site and best of luck to each of you on the LTC process.

I just went green this week and my name is Bill. I am on the south shore and heard about NES at the Braintree Gun Club. Startred shooting when I was kid but got away from it. Got back into it a couple of years ago and having a great time

Hi Everyone, I'm Shaun. I just recently joined the forum and right away saw the value in going green. I've got a very small collection but I plan on growing it as I gain experience. I shoot at Guan Ho Ha in Scotia, NY and just into target shooting right now.

Welcome to our newest Joeendris, blmn57, and smemp

Glad you all found this forum. And thank you to each one of you for becoming green members and helping support the site.
Get into the discussions and have some fun, great group of people here so enjoy :)

Hows it going? Im John, found this website in Feb after I applied for my LTC. I live in Braintree and just picked up my LTC A Unrestricted yesterday. Been shooting off since i was a kid and finally figured it was time to get my gun license. Been browsing this great forum trying to find answers to questions I have and so far its been awesome. looking forward to meeting some cool people. thanks

Hows it going? Im John, found this website in Feb after I applied for my LTC. I live in Braintree and just picked up my LTC A Unrestricted yesterday. Been shooting off since i was a kid and finally figured it was time to get my gun license. Been browsing this great forum trying to find answers to questions I have and so far its been awesome. looking forward to meeting some cool people. thanks

John, welcome to NES. We have a great crew here. Enjoy yourself. There are many very knowledgeable folks here.

I just wanted to drop in, say hi and thank everyone who makes this site what it is. I just registered a few weeks ago and found the information here too helpful to not go green. After procrastinating for the better part of a decade I am finally going in to apply for my LTC tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting out to some events this summer and meeting some of you.

Good Afternoon Everybody,

Found the site as I was browsing the wonderful process of applying for my LTC in Mass. I'm an active duty Sgt in the Marines and I'm a NH resident, but I'm stationed in MA and live in the Peoples Republic of Cambridge (yes I know). I'll be going to apply in the coming weeks as I'm going to wait for my CCW from NH.

Hello Lucky13 and AfghanIraqVet,

Glad to have you both here and enjoying the forum.

Lucky13 thanks for going green and supporting the site - You will enjoy the benefits of a paid membership.

AfghanIraqVet - thanks for your service. We are proud to have you here also. Hope you can enjoy and look forward to seeing you in the discussions. BTW good luck on the LTC process

Regestered to NES yesterday. Got the call to pick up my LTC-A non restricted today. Coincidence maybe maybe not but if the forum keeps bringing me such luck I'll be going green real quick. 29 days Ipswich mass.

Back
Top Bottom