New folks check in and say HI #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Central MA

Hi all!

I'm in Central MA, like hiking/camping/fishing/hunting/target shooting. Small bores are a favorite. Handguns/shotgun/rifle, you name it for over 25 years now.

Into outdoor survival skills like flint knapping, shelter building and friction firestarting.

Howdy all,

I found this site today after making a day trip up to the traderpsot up in Kittery, ME today and hearing a snip-it of the MA laws from one of the counter guys. The recent story of the family in CT really brought my inner fears to life, and have decided to buy another handgun after being without one for the last seven years or so. (I did the rookie decision of selling both of my handguns when I had my first child) I returned home and began researching the laws as best as possible for a guy who's stationed here, but who's home of record is from KS. Seems like polar opposites here in MA vs KS!

Anywho, I'm in the Air Force, and have been stationed here for three years. I have several rifles/shotguns stored at my parents house in KS, and PCS'd here from Guam (my last duty station).

My current plans are to apply for a LTC and hope that my local town likes my reasons/the military. I also need to find some local gun stores to gain a better idea of what type of handgun I'm looking for....

Welcome, Blue'87GT, and thanks for your service. I hope that you've taken the opportunity, since you're new here in MA, to visit Lexington Common and the North Bridge in Concord. Another excellent place to visit close by is the National Heritage Museum in Lexington.

Please don't judge MA by the current idiots infesting Beacon Hill. Once upon a time we played a great part in the founding of this country.

Welcome to the new folks. Hope you like it here. Blue, thank you for your service.

Blue, better check very carefully with your PD before applying . . . many PDs won't issue LTC/FID to Servicemen/women whose home of record is anything but MA. It is totally discretionary on there part, so if they won't do it, don't waste the $100 (it's an application fee and none-refundable).

If you are forced to get a NR LTC from CHSB, you'll pay $100 for 2 years (vs. 6 years), but will NOT legally be able to buy any ammo or guns in MA at all, but you'll be able to legally possess/carry them in MA!

Lots of info on the process in the Gun Laws forum, just check the Stickies.

Blue, better check very carefully with your PD before applying . . . many PDs won't issue LTC/FID to Servicemen/women whose home of record is anything but MA. It is totally discretionary on there part, so if they won't do it, don't waste the $100 (it's an application fee and none-refundable).
Len, I'm shocked at you... you know better than that!

If you are forced to get a NR LTC from CHSB, you'll pay $100 for 2 years (vs. 6 years), but will NOT legally be able to buy any ammo or guns in MA at all
Of course, you can buy ammo over the line in either NH or RI, so that's kind of moot.

Ross, I was bleary eyed from a long day (and allergies) when I typed that. Mea culpa!

Also, many are shocked that their NR LTC doesn't allow them to buy ammo in this insane state. I just wanted to prepare him if that is the case.

Jim Conway and I have a friend based at Hanscom. Jim knows better what town the Colonel lives in and whether he and his Wife (Jim trained her for her MA LTC) were able to get Resident LTCs or not. Last I heard, the Colonel was over in the Sandbox, so I don't have a reliable way to contact him directly for info.

Finally - LTC!!

Hello all,

Want to say hi to all, now that I have the LTC (no restrictions) in hand (wallet). It took 12 weeks (Tewksbury), but from what I have read on this site, that is not too bad. I am a total neophyte to the world of gun ownership and shooting, and look forward to learning a great deal more. I have joined the NRA and GOAL and will be a member of the Andover Sportsmen's Club in September.

Now, the fun!! (And, confusion.) Which semi-auto pistol do I pick for now? I am looking at 9MM, including the Sig 226, Sig 229, Sig 239, Walther P99, and the S&W M&P. I also will look at compact versions of these guns for easier carry. I probably will shop at Four Seasons (Woburn) and look forward to how they will feel in my hand. WOW! Feels like Christmas!

Looking forward to be more active in this forum.

[party]

Welcome, congrats on the LTC.

Go to the upcoming shoot, bring plenty of 9mm ammo and try out many folks guns to see what you like!

Thanks, All!

Pleased to be a member[grin]. Where and when is the next upcoming shoot? As of now, I do not have a pistol, but soon to be looking to buy.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

Just got my Class A in Westminster. Took 4 weeks, can't complain.

I currently have an old Marlin tube-fed .22 semi rifle and an old service issue S&W .38 special revolver. Looking at 9mm's also and pretty much decided on a Sig P226. I do my business with Match Shot Firearms in Gardner and love how a quick stop ends up being 45 minutes thanks to Lloyd and his ability to dialog endlessly with useful info that I wanna hear.

Probably going to be joining a local club but am moving to Royalston at the end of the month, so I may just end up shooting on my property instead. We'll see!

Welcome aboard The Iglu.

A few of us shoot at the Winchendon Rod & Gun club. It is on River Street right on the Royalston-Winchendon line. It's got a 100yd range with covered stations, small pond and bar. You can shoot at 200yds but it runs over top the 100yd stations. It's not much, but the price is right, $25 for individuals, $40 for family.

Some folks shoot at Woodsmans in Athol, but I don't have details for them. Check with MrTwiggs for details.

Welcome aboard The Iglu.

A few of us shoot at the Winchendon Rod & Gun club. It is on River Street right on the Royalston-Winchendon line. It's got a 100yd range with covered stations, small pond and bar. You can shoot at 200yds but it runs over top the 100yd stations. It's not much, but the price is right, $25 for individuals, $40 for family.

Some folks shoot at Woodsmans in Athol, but I don't have details for them. Check with MrTwiggs for details.

I rode by that place the other night, it's near the dump, isn't it?

Can't beat that deal!

Heading up to the Fitchburg Sportsman's Club later on this afternoon with my father and grandfather. They are both members there.

Does Winchendon rod and gun ever do any competitive shoots?

I rode by that place the other night, it's near the dump, isn't it?

Can't beat that deal!

Heading up to the Fitchburg Sportsman's Club later on this afternoon with my father and grandfather. They are both members there.

Does Winchendon rod and gun ever do any competitive shoots?
Yep, it's on the same road as the transfer station. I'm told they do pin shoots once a month, but I've never been to one.

Hello all,

Want to say hi to all, now that I have the LTC (no restrictions) in hand (wallet). It took 12 weeks (Tewksbury), but from what I have read on this site, that is not too bad. I am a total neophyte to the world of gun ownership and shooting, and look forward to learning a great deal more. I have joined the NRA and GOAL and will be a member of the Andover Sportsmen's Club in September.

Now, the fun!! (And, confusion.) Which semi-auto pistol do I pick for now? I am looking at 9MM, including the Sig 226, Sig 229, Sig 239, Walther P99, and the S&W M&P. I also will look at compact versions of these guns for easier carry. I probably will shop at Four Seasons (Woburn) and look forward to how they will feel in my hand. WOW! Feels like Christmas!

Looking forward to be more active in this forum.

[party]

Hi,

I'm a fairly new "LTC-A'er" myself and picked up a M&P 9mm compact at FS a few weeks ago (just in time to get the 2 free mag deal!). My first handgun and I like it very much.

Welcome.

-slim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom