• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Florida gun law leads to first seizure: Army veteran's AR-15

Reptile

NES Member
Florida deputies confiscated an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle from an Army veteran on Thursday, and the seizure was the first of its kind under the state’s new gun control law enacted following the Parkland school shooting.

Jerron Smith, 31, of Deerfield Beach, is the first person to be arrested for running afoul of the new law since it went on the books March 9, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office said Monday.

A spokeswoman for the office said a SWAT team went to Smith’s home Thursday and seized the AR-15 when he refused to surrender it voluntarily. The officers also seized a .22 caliber rifle he owned, hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a bump stock and numerous other weapon-related items.

“They just raided his house, found all his weapons, or whatever, (and) they just took it,” Smith’s neighbor Lorenzo Brown told WPLG-TV.

Brown said Smith was an Army veteran who was proud of his gun collection.

New Florida gun law leads to first seizure: Army veteran's AR-15
---------
Read on: he deserved it!

I'm not sure there are too many place you would avoid having them take your sh#t if you did this....
This seems to be kind of an important piece.

"Broward deputies sought the order in Smith’s case after he was arrested March 29 on an attempted murder charge for allegedly firing six shots into the back of a car being driving by his best friend, Jackon Lavon, 34."

Prior to the new ERPO law, people being tried for murder were not relieved of their firearms? The "innocent until proven guilty" in me likes this.

Prior to the new ERPO law, people being tried for murder were not relieved of their firearms? The "innocent until proven guilty" in me likes this.

agreed. And typically legal gun owners tend not to shoot up their best friend's car in attempt to murder them over a cell phone. But here we are.

According to fed law at least if you are under indictment for a felony, you're a prohibited person and not supposed to have guns. Now how some state enforces this or not, is a whole other ballgame. Or in practical terms I should say "attempts to enforce" as if even with a full blown confiscation scheme, someone can't have a gun tucked somewhere else where the police can't legally search for it, etc.... even the idea of a 209A confiscation is laughable.

Most of it is a moot point anyways because if you're going on trial for some heinously bad thing usually you don't even get the option of bail, etc.

-Mike

"Smith had become angry after demanding Lavon return his cellphone and shot at him with a Glock semiautomatic pistol, the complaint said."

Yeah, kinda puts a different spin on the story.

The kind of friends that borrow each other’s phones. I can only imagine

According to fed law at least if you are under indictment for a felony, you're a prohibited person and not supposed to have guns. Now how some state enforces this or not, is a whole other ballgame. Or in practical terms I should say "attempts to enforce" as if even with a full blown confiscation scheme, someone can't have a gun tucked somewhere else where the police can't legally search for it, etc.... even the idea of a 209A confiscation is laughable.

Most of it is a moot point anyways because if you're going on trial for some heinously bad thing usually you don't even get the option of bail, etc.

-Mike
So, Fox News article makes it sound like the new gun lawrs is what brought this guy in. He was arrested twice prior on aggravated assault and now a count of attempted murder.

Safe to say that they didn't need some stupid ass EPRO law to confiscate this guys gun.

It doesn't help us when someone makes it sound like this guy was the victim of some unconstitutional gun grab.
"See , those NRA nuts want people charged with attempted murder to keep their guns."
This isn't one we want to hang our hats on.

It doesn't help us when someone makes it sound like this guy was the victim of some unconstitutional gun grab.
"See , those NRA nuts want people charged with attempted murder to keep their guns."
This isn't one we want to hang our hats on.

The thing to keep repeating is that this guy was a criminal anyway and that new laws did NOTHING to stop him from committing crimes, NOTHING to allow the COPS from taking his firearms, and NOTHING to help the COPS arrest this guy despite all of the headlines.

The result would have been EXACTLY the same had camera-Hogg's new lawrs have never been passed!!

Last edited:
a SWAT team went to Smith’s home Thursday and seized the AR-15 when he refused to surrender it voluntarily.

Good to know. When asked to surrender it voluntarily, politely say "Yes, I'll bring it right down" then move to Georgia...

Clickbait. Missing the rest of the headline "...from Army vet charged with attempted murder."

His neighbor sucks:
“They just raided his house, found all his weapons, or whatever, (and) they just took it,” Smith’s neighbor Lorenzo Brown told WPLG-TV.

Brown said Smith was an Army veteran who was proud of his gun collection.

“He spent a lot of money for his weaponry,” he said. “It’s crazy. You just got to live around here to know what’s going on.”

His gun collection turns out to be two firearms that were taken from him.

Do the cops really need to seize the non firearm items as well? The stuff anyone can own? The flashlight? The magpul foregrop? An optic? The sling clip?

Does he get that back or does one cop get to keep some cool accessories?

Do the cops really need to seize the non firearm items as well? The stuff anyone can own? The flashlight? The magpul foregrop? An optic? The sling clip?

Does he get that back or does one cop get to keep some cool accessories?

If my kids go into a restaurant with a candy bowl, they're gonna grab themselves some candy.

So, Fox News article makes it sound like the new gun lawrs is what brought this guy in. He was arrested twice prior on aggravated assault and now a count of attempted murder.

Safe to say that they didn't need some stupid ass EPRO law to confiscate this guys gun.

Maybe, maybe not... not sure what the process is like in FL. Lots of states have gun laws that don't necessarily mirror the stupidity in federal law, and some have things that are worse than federal law. Many have stuff that doesn't mirror
feds at all. (like for example, up until this latest shit in VT, VT had hardly any gun laws, including a state iteration of prohibited person, blah blah blah, etc. )

You would think that someone who is actually under indictment for a violent felony, though, that LE could easily justify such a seizure somehow.

Then again, this begs the question... if the guy is actually dangerous, then what in the actual f*** are they doing offering bail?

Smith had become angry after demanding Lavon return his cellphone and shot at him with a Glock semiautomatic pistol, the complaint said.

After his arrest, Smith was released on a $3,000 bond. Deputies also took the Glock and vouchered it as evidence.

So let me get this straight, this guy FIRED A GUN at someone, and they let him out on 3K bond?

Sounds kinda like MA. Although here they'd let them go on personal recog.... [rofl]

-Mike

By most reasonable definitions, this guy is an Extreme Risk. However, the problem is when the low probability that the average gun-owning Citizen goes Postal is perceived as an Extreme Risk.

Don't know why they need ERPO for this. Just make surrendering his weapons a condition of his bail. He was arrested for attempted murder involving a firearm and on bond. Either he surrenders as part of his bail agreement, or he's in lockup until the trial. No need for ERPO.

No, the courts would have issued an order removing his ability to possess arms, and did in this case too I am sure. The ERPO in this case is 100% redundant.

Back
Top Bottom