New floor install necessitates moving a gunsafe.

This cute lille guy has chewed the upstairs carpets and now I have to repace the flooring, granted it is 27 years old and time to replace. I will need to move a 400ish lb empty safe from one side of the room to the other while they install the flooring and then back again. I will be doing this alone. I was thinking of something like this. Not sure how well this will work on the carpet but the new flooring will be pergo. Any suggestions?

Amazon product ASIN B0B2K56BJDView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2K56BJD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3OH5SJVYZQ6TT&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    884.1 KB · Views: 14
U-Haul Appliance dolly has a 700 pound capacity, and is pretty easy to move with the dolly strapped to the safe. If the safe is a wide one, it might be a little tricky with one person, but if taken slow shouldn't be a problem.

Getting even 400 lbs up on a furniture dolly may be difficult alone. I have had safes delivered or moved 4 times ranging in size from 400 to 1100 lbs. On a level surface, the favorite "tool" seems to be thin "skids" that are only about 3/4" to 1" high and 3 or4' long. One or two guys tip the safe, move the skids under the safe then tip the safe up onto the skids and simply push the safe along using multiple skids leapfroggiing along until safe is close to where it is going, push It off the skids and just push into its final location. The Pros make it look easy!

U-Haul Appliance dolly has a 700 pound capacity, and is pretty easy to move with the dolly strapped to the safe. If the safe is a wide one, it might be a little tricky with one person, but if taken slow shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that. I only have to move it 6' or so.

Everyone should have one of these. I wouldn't try to take it up a flight of stairs,but to move it 6' across a room, I would have no problem.
I bet I use mine 5 or 6 times a year. Pneumatic tires are a must. Easily ride over a door threshhold or up wooden stairs.

58291_W3.jpg

I will need to move a 400ish lb empty safe from one side of the room to the other while they install the flooring and then back again
easy. the good and proven solution is a pixie dust. tap her at her ass and it flies!

1672111476397.png

I moved a 780lb safe from my garage to my basement by myself last month.

I cheated for the elevation move and used my Kubota tractor to get it in the cellar hole, but I’m once it was in there, I used two of the 1500lb furniture dollys from harbor freight to move it 50’ across the concrete floor to its final resting place.

Don't move it.

Bar up, install a few 4×4 parallel with the flooring.
When they hit the 4x4 bar it and slide the 4x4 far enough over for them to add the next piece of floor. Once the piece of floor is installed bar the safe on one side and move the 4x4 back ( 4x4 on top of new flooring) and continue flooring. Repeat when you get to the next 4x4.
Once they finish let the safe back down.

Steel pipe would also work if the safe is flat on the bottom. You will want to use a couple pieces of left over flooring to protect your new floor. Sacrificial flooring, rollers, safe. If your safe is not flat on the bottom 4x4s again under it to give a rolling surface. Black iron pipe or steel in 1" dia work perfectly

Seriously, they will probably move the safe to install the floor. At least the guy that did my floors said they would appreciate it if I moved what I could, but not to worry about it.
I tell everybody they definitely have to move all the small stuff out. Get out as much of the large stuff that you can. Anything really big and heavy that can't be moved out of the room; be here to help me move it back and forth. If you're 99 years old, you better call a moving company.

Everyone should have one of these. I wouldn't try to take it up a flight of stairs,but to move it 6' across a room, I would have no problem.
I bet I use mine 5 or 6 times a year. Pneumatic tires are a must. Easily ride over a door threshhold or up wooden stairs.

58291_W3.jpg

I prefer the ones with straps on them. https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-58292.html

58292_W3.jpg

I tell everybody they definitely have to move all the small stuff out. Get out as much of the large stuff that you can. Anything really big and heavy that can't be moved out of the room; be here to help me move it back and forth. If you're 99 years old, you better call a moving company.
It’s not a contractors job to move your shit. You hired out to install a floor. Get your own belongings out of his/her way.

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that. I only have to move it 6' or so.

For 6 trump you could put down some cardboard then dog walk it 6ft. 400 is a fair amount to lift but it’s not very heavy to dog walk or move on a dolly or pipes under it.

This cute lille guy has chewed the upstairs carpets and now I have to repace the flooring, granted it is 27 years old and time to replace. I will need to move a 400ish lb empty safe from one side of the room to the other while they install the flooring and then back again. I will be doing this alone. I was thinking of something like this. Not sure how well this will work on the carpet but the new flooring will be pergo. Any suggestions?

Amazon product ASIN B0B2K56BJDView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2K56BJD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3OH5SJVYZQ6TT&psc=1

Innocent, maybe a raccoon got in or something.

I used one inch diameter by 3' wooden dowels. Tilt safe back and as you roll it, keep moving the dowels in position. I did it all by myself and my safe weighs a bit more than yours.

Two of you or three, plus beer and pizza afterwards, should be able to move it with something like this. No sense spending extra money for a one time thing.
Reminds me... many years ago I had a cheap ass professor ask a couple of us students to move a piano for him. He said "I'll buy beer and pizza"! I said " I'll buy my own beer and pizza and watch you try to move it".

There are some amazing safe moving dollies out there these days. Just don't make the mistake that I did many years ago and buy an antique one that weighs more than the safe. :oops:

Tilt it and put about 3 dowels under it and roll it a little at a time and move the dowel when it comes out to the other side. Thats how I moved a very heavy wood stove by myself, only all I had was window weights, and they worked great
I'd suggest black pipe (gas pipe), though wood dowels would probably work for a 400lb save. I had no trouble moving a 1400+ lb safe when I redid the floor in the gun room at my last house.

I would volunteer but my back and shoulder along with knees say otherwise.

I seem to remember seeing your avatar somewhere. Lol

My current safe weighs about 400 lbs. I used a 600lb. capacity hand truck with straps to move the safe. Just myself and 1 other guy. We moved the safe out of a truck bed using some 2x12 home made ramps and into the house. We moved it down the hallway and into a room. No problems at all. Just take it slow. Once my wife got home she didn't like the placement of the safe and I ended up moving across the room to the other side. I moved it by myself with the hand truck taking my time.

Back
Top Bottom