• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New FLIR rifle scope- Thermosight R-series

I linked to this in another thread but figured I would put it here for others to see in case they were interested.

FLIR just announced a new rifle-mounted scope called the Thermosight R-Series:

http://www.flir.com/thermoSightR-Series/index_fullscreen.html

From the site: "The FLIR ThermoSight® R-Series is the world’s first line of commercial thermal night vision rifle scopes starting at under $3,500. Compact and easy-to-use, the ThermoSight® R-Series delivers rock-solid thermal imaging for hunting predators and varmints in zero light."

mtxgfa.jpg

So... How do you sight in when it is total darkness? What do you use for a practice target?

How many Bigfoot hunters have pre-orders in?

How soon before a State Trooper with one of these is arrested for shooing someone while 'hunting'?

What does muzzle flash look like in that?

Will it co-witness?

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

The nice thing about FLIR going more mainstream is that it's bound to drop quickly in price. I want one, but I'll wait til I can get one in 1080p for $99.99.

Three years ago Flir started having their machining and brazing done at smaller non certified shops to save money. Quality quickly started going down hill. Hopefully this is not the case here.

Stocking dealer?

Why are thermal scopes so expensive? Is it an IP thing or a materials/manufacturing thing?
Both. Nearly all the high quality thermal imager cores (e.g. Tau-2 as used in most scopes) are made by FLIR, so all their competitors buy the core module from FLIR and build their own optics and displays around it. With the export laws limiting the sale of most thermal imagers to foreign buyers, I am surprised China hasn't made much inroad into this market.

ARMS base. Lost interest right there...
Interesting, but not something I would purchase sight unseen.

Does anybody know of a stocking dealer in the area who actually has a Thermosight in their inventory? Or for that matter, a store that stocks ATN's Thor 320?

The nice thing about FLIR going more mainstream is that it's bound to drop quickly in price. I want one, but I'll wait til I can get one in 1080p for $99.99.

So with ya on that, in a fue years and with compitition increasing, more production and cheeper production, like the night vision scopes now around $500 gen1+

i can see it going the same for thermo, especially if a new better competitors with possibly cheeper tec comes out soon, or a hole new better system out dates this gen of thermoscopes

Back
Top Bottom