• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Firearms License Application

"If they do not include it on the application it will get filled in when I process the application. The application is not public record therefore the risk is minimal."

Oh well as long as the risk is minimal I guess it's okay.[hmmm]

They are right on both counts.

They will fill it in, when they run you thru LEAPS it comes up with your driving history.

The risk is minimal to the PD as if their system gets hacked (or the state system) they will incur no liability, you'll never be told where it happened and no penalties will accrue to them.

What could possibly go wrong here?? [pot]

I'm a hardliner on the misuse of the SSN (NOT necessary for a BG check, I confirmed this with a chief and also a LO), but it is less effective than pissing in the wind I'm afraid.

Was this lost/stolen firearm shit there on the old forms? I thought there was some crap about this that got stripped out during the great "compromise" sessions where we only lost a little bit of our "cake"?

Was this lost/stolen firearm shit there on the old forms? I thought there was some crap about this that got stripped out during the great "compromise" sessions where we only lost a little bit of our "cake"?

No you have it reversed. It was never part of the old forms. It became part of the new form with the new law passed in August 2014.

Have you ever held a firearms license in any other state, territory or jurisdiction?  YES  NOIf "YES", when, where, and license number?

Fo NON-RES license do you have to answer yes?

Mine expires in December so I'll be renewing for the first time in the next couple months. I assume the answer is YES if I have non-res licenses in ME and NH?

Did the old application ask for you employer name and contact info?? I can't remember.

Last edited:
Mine expires in December so I'll be renewing for the first time in the next couple months. I assume the answer is YES if I have non-res licenses in ME and NH?

Did the old application ask for you employer name and contact info?? I can't remember.

Yes, it means answer YES and enter the info if you EVER had any gun license in ANY state/jurisdiction, whether resident or NR.

Yes, they have always asked where you worked and your occupation (that goes on LTC). Back in the 1970s you actually had to get your manager's signature on the application form . . . that was fun . . . NOT!!

Thanks.

Does anybody know what this affidavit looks like?

It looks like Page 4 of the new application. I suggest DL it from the FRB website and you'll have all the info you need.

Are you looking at a different PDF than I am? The one linked to in the OP is the same one on the FRB website, and there is no page 4.

Ya I was just going to ask the same thing myself. Well according to SeanT in post #25, sounds like it's something the licensing officer supplies at the station?

They are right on both counts.

They will fill it in, when they run you thru LEAPS it comes up with your driving history.

The risk is minimal to the PD as if their system gets hacked (or the state system) they will incur no liability, you'll never be told where it happened and no penalties will accrue to them.

What could possibly go wrong here?? [pot]

I'm a hardliner on the misuse of the SSN (NOT necessary for a BG check, I confirmed this with a chief and also a LO), but it is less effective than pissing in the wind I'm afraid.

Isn't there some way through an LE system they could find your SSN anyways? So "not supplying it" probably doesn't amount to anything other than tinfoiler arm flapping?

-Mike

Are you looking at a different PDF than I am? The one linked to in the OP is the same one on the FRB website, and there is no page 4.

Yes, apparently I am! I DL'd it on 5/20 and it was a 4-page document.

I just went back to the FRB website and now it is a 3-page document and the affidavit is missing!! I just tried to call both Michaela and her Counsel and both are out of the office until Wednesday (probably some training going on from FRB), so I don't have an answer why the difference.

At any rate, DL the latest form and fill it out, turn it in at the PD. Ignore any app forms on your own PD's website, they are likely badly out of date.

Isn't there some way through an LE system they could find your SSN anyways? So "not supplying it" probably doesn't amount to anything other than tinfoiler arm flapping?

-Mike

LEAPS is the RMV database and any query there or via CJISWeb will show your SSN and a ton of other stuff. Yes they can get it, however the more places you put it on paper or let them enter in a computer system, the more opportunities for that info to fall into the wrong hands . . . most PD computers are anything but secure (same for the state and feds as well), not everyone who works for a PD (or any gov't agency) is honest and won't misuse info they have access to.

So yes, it is tinfoiler arm flapping, but with a purpose . . . to minimize the number of my exposure points.

LEAPS is the RMV database and any query there or via CJISWeb will show your SSN and a ton of other stuff. Yes they can get it, however the more places you put it on paper or let them enter in a computer system, the more opportunities for that info to fall into the wrong hands . . . most PD computers are anything but secure (same for the state and feds as well), not everyone who works for a PD (or any gov't agency) is honest and won't misuse info they have access to.

So yes, it is tinfoiler arm flapping, but with a purpose . . . to minimize the number of my exposure points.

True but if you leave it off the form, and "insistent LEO guy" just looks it up and puts it on the form, then what difference does it make? [laugh] Like once you submit the thing you have no control over what they do, and they hold all the cards. I leave my SSN off lots of things but when it comes to the police or whatever, I just think trying to leave it off an LTC app is pointlessly redundant. It feels good but amounts to nothing, unless the LO says to me "you don't have to put your social on there, we don't need that" I have no assurance that he's not going to just look it up anyways and stick it on the form.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

more accurately, expect to get a restricted license.....

Depends on the town, and whether or not the LO is a douche. Some of them might not even read that box. Some refuse to restrict out of principle, so unless you write something heinous in that box, you're going to get "Rest: none". It would be kinda funny if an LO with a sense of humor gave someone an LTC that said Restrictions: Zombies

-Mike

True but if you leave it off the form, and "insistent LEO guy" just looks it up and puts it on the form, then what difference does it make? [laugh] Like once you submit the thing you have no control over what they do, and they hold all the cards. I leave my SSN off lots of things but when it comes to the police or whatever, I just think trying to leave it off an LTC app is pointlessly redundant. It feels good but amounts to nothing, unless the LO says to me "you don't have to put your social on there, we don't need that" I have no assurance that he's not going to just look it up anyways and stick it on the form.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the town, and whether or not the LO is a douche. Some of them might not even read that box. Some refuse to restrict out of principle, so unless you write something heinous in that box, you're going to get "Rest: none". It would be kinda funny if an LO with a sense of humor gave someone an LTC that said Restrictions: Zombies

-Mike

If I am still in this town when my next renewal comes up, and the same person is doing licensing, I will ask when I go in to submit everything if I can get something humorous.

On my first LTC application (1977) I just put for the protection of life. Isn't that the only reason we carry guns ? My point is this, nothing else we say on this new application really matters, so why say anything else ???

Back
Top Bottom