New Firearms Acquisitions July 2021

Very nice! Y’all need to get out to some USPSA matches with those nice rigs!

I have been interested in trying USPSA or some type of competitive shooting for a long time, but don't know how to get started. I don't know anybody who competes.

What 'type' of match is right to get started with?

This probably deserves it's own thread; I know I would have appreciated finding a 'how to get started in competitive shooting' sticky (and as I type that, I am really hoping it doesn't already exist. That might be embarrassing).

I have been interested in trying USPSA or some type of competitive shooting for a long time, but don't know how to get started. I don't know anybody who competes.

This probably deserves it's own thread; I know I would have appreciated finding a 'how to get started in competitive shooting' sticky (and as I type that, I am really hoping it doesn't already exist. That might be embarrassing).
I'm here with you on this PEW as well.

All you need is this:

Home | PractiScore

USPSA is pretty popular in Mass, RI, and southern NH. Find a club local to you and look for matches they host. Then sign up and show up. You'll need a holster and mag holders.

Worcester prc is having a pin shoot Sunday the 25th. Those are fun.

Steel Challenge matches are one way to start in my opinion. Great way to work on holster draw and target transitions. It is time based. Minimal thinking. (Great for me) one stage has some movement.
All matches are a great way to link up and chat with other shooters who do shoot uspsa. You will see the same people after a while. Everyone I have ever met is more than willing to coach or give advice if I ask. Most of the time at matches is spent socializing!
Also, you're never really "ready" for your first match. Find a match of any kind and go for it.
Apply firearm safety rules, listen to your RO and take your time.

Steel Challenge matches are one way to start in my opinion. Great way to work on holster draw and target transitions. It is time based. Minimal thinking. (Great for me) one stage has some movement.
All matches are a great way to link up and chat with other shooters who do shoot uspsa. You will see the same people after a while. Everyone I have ever met is more than willing to coach or give advice if I ask. Most of the time at matches is spent socializing!
Also, you're never really "ready" for your first match. Find a match of any kind and go for it.
Apply firearm safety rules, listen to your RO and take your time.
Another good recommendation. SC is definitely a good way to get your feet wet.

Worcester prc is having a pin shoot Sunday the 25th. Those are fun.

As a NH guy with no FID/LTC and a whole lot of post ban regular capacity mags, I am very hesitant to look at events in MA. I believe there are some competition exemptions but I don't know the topic well enough. Thanks for the lead though!

Last edited:
No, practically speaking the competition exemptions don't exist.

That said, there's plenty of people that flout the law.
This. Many believe there is a competition exemption but I sure as hell would not hang my hat on that if you were to be stopped and searched/questioned by a cop/state trooper in MA. It's been beaten to death here on NES if you do a search.

Of course if cops/troopers are searching your car for guns you've royally f***ed up. I would say 99% of the people who live out of state and shoot matches in MA, do not have a nonresident license. They just make sure everything is in the trunk and out of sight.

This. Many believe there is a competition exemption but I sure as hell would not hang my hat on that if you were to be stopped and searched/questioned by a cop/state trooper in MA. It's been beaten to death here on NES if you do a search.

Of course if cops/troopers are searching your car for guns you've royally f***ed up. I would say 99% of the people who live out of state and shoot matches in MA, do not have a nonresident license. They just make sure everything is in the trunk and out of sight.
Even though I have a MA non-res I sort of figured if I competed again in MA I'd try the single stack division, or stick with production assuming it's still a 10-round limit (been a while since I read up on the latest USPSA stuff). When I did Steel Challenge in MA I just brought 10 rounders.

As a NH guy with no FID/LTC and a whole lot of post ban regular capacity mags, I am very hesitant to look at events in MA. I believe there are some competition exemptions but I don't know the topic well enough. Thanks for the lead though!

Hope to see you at Pioneer Sportmans Club sometime then! Or Chester Rod and Gun. 👍

Picked up this CZ 455 Varmint with beautiful wood off a member here, and made an impulse purchase while doing the transfer, being the wrangler

Attachments

• F4AB2CCB-02C0-4102-A6A0-3F92A55BAC3A.jpeg
    F4AB2CCB-02C0-4102-A6A0-3F92A55BAC3A.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 29
  • B09F347D-A8E4-484A-9CC0-31C259CA12F6.jpeg
    B09F347D-A8E4-484A-9CC0-31C259CA12F6.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 29
  • A21B3E74-3257-40BB-8166-3D2FCAA00D78.jpeg
    A21B3E74-3257-40BB-8166-3D2FCAA00D78.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 29
Purchased Delta Point Pro ins 3 and 6 moa. Also purchased a Primary Machine CZ Shadow 2 Harbinger V2 Drop in slide.

Attachments

• 8FDF5176-3D13-4F8B-8EDA-3B9E942E3E6F.jpeg
    8FDF5176-3D13-4F8B-8EDA-3B9E942E3E6F.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Picked up this CZ 455 Varmint with beautiful wood off a member here, and made an impulse purchase while doing the transfer, being the wrangler
If you find the trigger too stiff or the loading gate too stiff, here's a couple of relatively simple ways to tweak the springs in the Wrangler

Moved to Central NH 🐍 and celebrated by purchasing a Ruger 556 MPR. For optics I tried Vortex this time around with their StrikeEagle 1-8 LVPO and 6 MOA red dot on a 45° mount for closer engagement.

Will be building a few gong stands to place throughout the 5 acre woods with appropriate sand filled tire backstops this year.

Attachments

• 20210728_195011-01.jpeg
    20210728_195011-01.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210728_195218-01.jpeg
    20210728_195218-01.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom