• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New EOTech 512 on USC

The Goose

NES Member
After shooting BillO's FN FS200 with the EOTech at the pumpkin shoot I just had to get one. This is the 512 model which takes AA batteries , but is not night vision compatible. It was like an additional $100 or more for a feature I will likely never need. Easy to mount on the rail, now I just need to sight it in., In the meantime it is just way cool to look through.

PumpkinShoot06034.jpg

PumpkinShoot06033.jpg

Now THAT is a thing of beauty...

I've been thinking about a Mech-Tech Carbine conversion for my AutoOrdnance AO1911. That just puts it to shame, though...

Awesome! I've got the same Eotech on my AR and love it ... Very cool optics. And, I'm with you on the NVG compatible, considering I'm not likely to be spending thousands on Night Visin gear anytime soon, I saw no point in spending the extra $100 for that feature ... I took that money and bought a LaRue quick disconnect riser for it instead, gives me a little more height and puts the irons in the lower 1/3 (rather than dead center which I find distracting).

Nice set up! Sorry my ignorance but if you use this on an AR15 (Bushamster) what do you use for back up iron sights? (BUIS??) Sorry for the hijack.

I went with the 511, and almost immediately wished I had the 512. That looks great mounted.

How comfortable is buttstock on that rifle?

Nice set up! Sorry my ignorance but if you use this on an AR15 (Bushamster) what do you use for back up iron sights? (BUIS??) Sorry for the hijack.
Personally I purchased a flip up rear sight along with my EOTech. Then I mounted the new rear flip up and EOTech. I sighted in the iron first, locked that out of the way and dialed in the EOTech. Then you can you use either or both in a co witness configuration.

I went with the 511, and almost immediately wished I had the 512. That looks great mounted.

How comfortable is buttstock on that rifle?

Personally I purchased a flip up rear sight along with my EOTech. Then I mounted the new rear flip up and EOTech. I sighted in the iron first, locked that out of the way and dialed in the EOTech. Then you can you use either or both in a co witness configuration.

So I am interested in the flip up rear sight, but I notice most of them have no elevation adjustment. Does that mean you can only adjust the front sight for elevation? I guess if you're using the EOTech then you maybe don't expect the iron sights to be as precisely adjusted?

So I am interested in the flip up rear sight, but I notice most of them have no elevation adjustment.
You are right in saying most, but not all. I went with one that is not adjustable but I did look at ones that are.
I guess if you're using the EOTech then you maybe don't expect the iron sights to be as precisely adjusted?
This is it for me, I was looking for something that works great at 50 yards and good at 100 yards. I find that my setup does just that. All depends on what you are looking to get out of it I guess.

So I am interested in the flip up rear sight, but I notice most of them have no elevation adjustment. Does that mean you can only adjust the front sight for elevation? I guess if you're using the EOTech then you maybe don't expect the iron sights to be as precisely adjusted?
My AR carbine has a flip up rear sight, awaiting some sort of optic as its main sight. In the mean time, I leave the rear sight up and use it.

It has windage adjustment but no elevation adjustment. The lack of elevation adjustment is not that much of a problem in what is essentially a 300 meter weapon. I have mine zeroed at 50 yards, which gives POI = POA at 200 yards again, and in between those two points the bullet is never more than 1.5 inches above the line of sight. In other words, I put the top of the front sigtht on whatever I want to hit and pull the trigger. The result will be a center of mass hit on a human-sized target every time. Even beyond 250 yards, the holdover is not that much (5 - 6 inches up at 300 IIRC). In that case, holding on top of a silhouette's shoulders will drill the chest nicely.

In any case, electro-optical sights made for combat such as the Aimpoint and EOTech do not have elevation adjustments that can be used as a bullet drop compensator. You pick a distance to zero, use the windage and elevation adjustments to zero there, and forget about them. Just like the irons.

Back
Top Bottom