New England Steyr Dealers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Looking to handle and preferably shoot an AUG A3 M1 + L9 A2 MF.

I've handled an AUG before, right around the time Steyr first started up production in Alabama, but I can't remember my impressions of it. What held me back from buying one then was the fact that, at the time, you were paying $1600 for a gun with a 7lbs trigger. There are now AUG trigger upgrades available. With the L9, I haven't seen one in the wild before and I basically want to know "does this offer any objective benefit over a Glock?" The L9 A2 MF just came out in June.

Steyr has a function on their website where you input your location and they link you with dealers, but I'm not trying to show up to say Addieville Farm as they attempt to sell me a Merkel. Buying an AUG + L9 would be a $3k shopping trip and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

I have an AUG and its a lot of fun to shoot, I installed a Rat Worx trigger pack and it vastly improved the trigger.

The two guys on this forum that know about the AUG and New England would be @Steyr_AUG and @Kevin_NH. I don't know if they are still active but they know the AUG.

EDIT: This is an old AUG thread, its gone dead but there may be good info for you. If nothing else there is a sweet shot of my AUG as the last post.

Steyr AUG, lots of new and great things coming out! (and a few things for the MSAR)

Even with a modded trigger pack, there's no getting around the inherent design limitations of the AUG trigger & transfer bar.

You might call MFLR and see if they have an AUG A3/M1 in the rental inventory?

Even with a modded trigger pack, there's no getting around the inherent design limitations of the AUG trigger & transfer bar.

You might call MFLR and see if they have an AUG A3/M1 in the rental inventory?

Doubt it, I've never seen one there. Even when Jim ran it, it was not a rental, to the best of my knowledge.

-Mike

As I understand it, Steyr has a VIP program where you contact them and they will send a gun(s) to your FFL free of charge for you to check out.

If you’re interested in getting your hands on a Steyr Arms product, but are finding it difficult to locate the firearm(s) you’re interested in, simply contact us and we’ll schedule a VIP appointment with your preferred dealer. There’s no obligation, and it costs your dealer nothing.

Homepage - Steyr Difference

I do have a steyr pistol M357 A1, and it's a great shooting and very ergonomic gun, but I couldn't comment on the new MF as nobody really has one.

Though I have every model of AUG... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice AUGs are. They're clean running guns, very ergonomic, have superb engineering, are adaptable to many different variations, and are a smooth shooting pleasure to fire. The current M1 is a great gun.

As to the AUG trigger feel, there are options for improvement. The most bang for your buck is going to be the 2020 TSM; it's a sear that substantially transforms the hammerpack characteristics of the trigger feel. I have 5 of them and the oldest unit I got the week it came out in 2013. No issue with any of them. It makes the great gun a better gun.

Looking to handle and preferably shoot an AUG A3 M1 + L9 A2 MF.

I've handled an AUG before, right around the time Steyr first started up production in Alabama, but I can't remember my impressions of it. What held me back from buying one then was the fact that, at the time, you were paying $1600 for a gun with a 7lbs trigger. There are now AUG trigger upgrades available. With the L9, I haven't seen one in the wild before and I basically want to know "does this offer any objective benefit over a Glock?" The L9 A2 MF just came out in June.

Steyr has a function on their website where you input your location and they link you with dealers, but I'm not trying to show up to say Addieville Farm as they attempt to sell me a Merkel. Buying an AUG + L9 would be a $3k shopping trip and I'm not quite ready for that yet.

As I understand it, Steyr has a VIP program where you contact them and they will send a gun(s) to your FFL free of charge for you to check out.

If you’re interested in getting your hands on a Steyr Arms product, but are finding it difficult to locate the firearm(s) you’re interested in, simply contact us and we’ll schedule a VIP appointment with your preferred dealer. There’s no obligation, and it costs your dealer nothing.

Homepage - Steyr Difference

I do have a steyr pistol M357 A1, and it's a great shooting and very ergonomic gun, but I couldn't comment on the new MF as nobody really has one.

Though I have every model of AUG... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice AUGs are. They're clean running guns, very ergonomic, have superb engineering, are adaptable to many different variations, and are a smooth shooting pleasure to fire. The current M1 is a great gun.

As to the AUG trigger feel, there are options for improvement. The most bang for your buck is going to be the 2020 TSM; it's a sear that substantially transforms the hammerpack characteristics of the trigger feel. I have 5 of them and the oldest unit I got the week it came out in 2013. No issue with any of them. It makes the great gun a better gun.

Ok that's very good to know, thanks! That also resolves one of the conundrums I had about the AUG - which length of pic rail would be necessary for mounting a 1-6.

I'll keep you all posted.

Question for the AUG owners:

AUG 42-round mags or NATO? Do the NATO AUGs work well with larger-than-30-round AR mags, like say 60-round mags?

I have an AUG A3 with NATO stock in .223. Put a Neu-trigger in to smooth out the trigger pull.
It has been a great rifle.

Malodave

AUG 42-round mags or NATO? Do the NATO AUGs work well with larger-than-30-round AR mags, like say 60-round mags?

If you are going to buy an AUG get the version with proprietary Steyr mags. AUG mags preserve the classic look of the rifle. I see the draw to running STANAG mags, you probably have 100 and that drum mag too, don’t be tempted. If you want you can always buy the STANAG stock later.

AUG 42-round mags or NATO?
If you are going to buy an AUG get the version with proprietary Steyr mags. AUG mags preserve the classic look of the rifle.
I agree, if you're going for the classic AUG look, gotta have the original waffle mags.

The 42 round magazines sell for a premium (just a few bucks more on post-ban, significant on pre-ban) and are long enough to be awkward, so stock up on 30s.

I love this setup. This is my LGS, she tacks on 5% for internet orders for some reason. $2,400 with a sweet optics setup.

King Shooters Supply | Steyr Arms AUG, A3 M1, Semi-automatic, 223 Rem, 556NATO, 16" Barrel, Mud Color Synthetic Stock, QD Front Sling Swivel, 30Rd, 3X Optic AUGM1MUDS

I like the green rifles and I also need a variable optic, like a 1-6 or ideally a 1-9. There are days when I'm shooting at distances of 10 yards at paper and then at 200 yard gongs. A fixed 1.5 or 3 won't cut it.

Nice looking gun though.

I plan on going to a dealer I know has a L9-A9 MF on Sunday and I'll talk to my LGS about getting a demo AUG A3 M1 tomorrow.

There's a nice integrated optic mount for the M1 made by Manticore Arms. I'm happy with mine. Right now it has a Kdot but I'm trying to sell the optic for a 1-6x instead.

u33d0N7.jpg

@C. Stockwell what came of the demo gun?

Unfortunately nothing. I followed up with the FFL I asked to get the demo gun and they never got back to me. So I bought a FAL upper instead (I am already a FAL owner, this is FAL No. 2).

However, I did buy a L9-A2 MF. I bought that from C.O.P.S. Gun Shop in Oklahoma City for $600 and had it shipped to a FFL in Pawtucket. The FFL in Pawtucket had been wanting to see a L9-A2 MF since it came out and really liked it. I pointed out to him that there aren't any Steyr dealers in RI. So I might try to get a demo AUG through him as he has a strong interest in Steyr.

I'm probably going to do a full review thread of the L9-A2 MF once I take it to the range and do some comparisons to, say, a G19 and use it at a match. Whenever I mention it, people usually say "I'm interested in that gun but I can't find one." My initial impressions overall are very positive. Good 5lbs two stage trigger pull - bit of slack followed by a crisp, clean break. The trapezoidal sights are intriguing. I'm going to try them out at first and then put a Trijicon SRO on the pistol. Hopefully I can keep the sights on the gun. Disassembly is a cross between a Glock and a Beretta 92 - squeeze trigger to decock, push in the disassembly button, twist the takedown lever. The fit and finish is nice in comparison to the Glock I used to own. Comes standard with a flared mag well and a grip with a texture similar to skateboard tape. I haven't swapped out the adjustable grips yet but I'll probably do that this weekend.

I think I'll ask the FFL I worked with to transfer the L9-A2 MF to see if they can get a demo AUG. Also, InRange just mud tested a AUG A3 M1 and it got four or five shots off post-mud:

Back
Top Bottom