• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New England, prepare for rolling blackouts this winter...

What’s with this fossil fuel dick-sucking by so called conservatives? I agree that the green-fetishizing of some is laughable, but ultimately being non-fossil fuel reliant is good for us from a national security standpoint. This is a prime example of that.
And it should be driven by the free market not by a corrupt government with an agenda. And what the F does it have to do with national security? Want security? Keep our fossil fuel in this country, screw Europe and everyone else. Don't give away our technology, bring back steel production, secure our borders and build back our military. That is national security. Guess I'm one of those dick sucking conservatives.

It is worse than that. 99% of all those installs the homeowners are only putting a solar field on there roof that is owned by others and put into the grid. They get a discount on there electric bill but if the grid goes down they get no electricity from there roof.
They have no battery storage and no way to directly use the panels on the roof.
Yup, trying to talk a friend out of a $70,000 roof solar panel install so they can be net neutral on their electric bill. [banghead]

$70K? How on Earth are they justifying that?
I'm asking him the same thing. Even at $500 a month in electric bills it's a 10 year spot just to BREAK EVEN... Not to mention most of these companies cannot guarantee what they are installing will make you net neutral. Pure scammers

I'm asking him the same thing. Even at $500 a month in electric bills it's a 10 year spot just to BREAK EVEN... Not to mention most of these companies cannot guarantee what they are installing will make you net neutral. Pure scammers
So my 150ish/mo is 25 years. 😂

I’d be 86 years young. Ya. No.

And it should be driven by the free market not by a corrupt government with an agenda. And what the F does it have to do with national security? Want security? Keep our fossil fuel in this country, screw Europe and everyone else. Don't give away our technology, bring back steel production, secure our borders and build back our military. That is national security. Guess I'm one of those dick sucking conservatives.

I get what your saying and I'm of the same mind, especially with boarder security, bring production back to the US and our military. Though in regards to fossil fuel all were doing is kicking the can down the road for our kids or their kids to have to deal with. Fossil fuel is not indefinite and at some point were going to have to deal with it and yes it's going to suck. Whether we like it or not EV or something similar is the future. Solar, hydroelectric and nuclear though need to take a huge step forward before we can try to get net neutral. Also, the technology for EV is not there yet either. When you can plug your EV at an electric station, get a full charge and be on your way in a few minutes then we'll have made the change viable. A lot more tech needs to be developed, but overall we'll need to get there sooner or later.

I get what your saying and I'm of the same mind, especially with boarder security, bring production back to the US and our military. Though in regards to fossil fuel all were doing is kicking the can down the road for our kids or their kids to have to deal with. Fossil fuel is not indefinite and at some point were going to have to deal with it and yes it's going to suck. Whether we like it or not EV or something similar is the future. Solar, hydroelectric and nuclear though need to take a huge step forward before we can try to get net neutral. Also, the technology for EV is not there yet either. When you can plug your EV at an electric station, get a full charge and be on your way in a few minutes then we'll have made the change viable. A lot more tech needs to be developed, but overall we'll need to get there sooner or later.
Agreed. But government needs to stay out. You and I both know that individuals and large companies alike (including the big bad fossil fuel guys) are working on alternatives. Not for the good of the world, but because it could be worth trillions. Free market may have its flaws, but it works. This country proved it; something just went sideways that past thirty or forty years though. Oh right, government :)

I'm not sure that was ever true. SLAs from 15 years ago were good for 7-10 years depending on system design (designing the system to normally draw down to no lower than 50%), and NiFe batteries have been around since Edison, lasting 30 years with good maintenance. Yes, if you used common marine batteries, and drew them down to nearly 0 regularly, you could kill them in 2 years, but that's why there are things like "deep cycle" batteries and (again) designing systems to not draw them all the way down.

The real question is the life of these new lithium systems - we have decent data but won't know for sure for another bunch of years. They are expensive - at a level that should require they go 10-20 years even when abused. We'll see.

These were hard-core Y2K type guys that would use plain marine batteries. Remember that the tech for solar in general was pretty weak pre-Obama years. Including batteries. There wasn't many reasonably-priced options (not that 11K is a reasonable price - LOL) to run a battery backup system.

What is that - a 50-panel system or the like, all with independent inverters, including all labor and wiring? That's about the only way I get up to that price. Even then, it seems excessive (price-wise, as well as on several other fronts).

Not that I wouldn't envy it, but it sounds like a guy who wants to get a Porsche Cayenne for hauling feed bags.

[rofl] the only one giving poor arguments is you.

You did say EV will give power back to the grid and that is how the grid will improve.

I am not making this up, I am just repeating what you have posted.

But I am glad you see that it is a really bad argument. Making progress, that is good.
The truth is that with the new standards for EVs having bidirectional power control, they can and will be able to stabilize the grid while power stations ramp up and down.

Not a reason to mandate them but its entirely true

The #1 issue for hybrids and BEV is that they don’t make economic sense. I can still operate my ICE for less money than the equivalent premium one pays for a hybrid or BEV. I believe that widespread adoption will not take place until it makes economic sense.

If the gas price spikes to $5-$7 and stays there, then BEV’s and hybrids will see much wider adoption because they make more economic sense.

I am not making any judgement on any of the other features. Economics is my main driver (no pun intended).
For skinflint econoboxes this is true.
Hybrids aren't stripped down so if you compare cars with like features the hybrids will usually pay for themselves in fuel savings in 50k miles. Add in reduced maintenance and it's faster than that.
Most people don't keep a car long enough to hit break even on an electric unless they get free charging.

My issue with solar is that whatever its producing during the day goes down to zero at night. So when its dark and cold in winter, and we havent added additional other energy in the form of
anything like nat gas, oil, coal, or whatever, that will produce energy at night.....what happens?

Yup.....you sit in the dark and cold until the sun comes up again......and hope it doesn't snow.

f***ing retards......putting good tax money into something that produces only 8-10 hours a day, and only on sunny days which are like 55% in the Northeast. Good luck. We are fxcked.

We shouldn't get away from controllable sources of power but solar isn't exactly useless since the majority of demand is during the day.

Yup, trying to talk a friend out of a $70,000 roof solar panel install so they can be net neutral on their electric bill. [banghead]
Is their monthly bill over $300 on average? then it will only take them the entire lifetime of the array to get to zero.
That's past insane unless the guy runs a grow operation with 1k/month bills

The truth is that with the new standards for EVs having bidirectional power control, they can and will be able to stabilize the grid while power stations ramp up and down.

Not a reason to mandate them but its entirely true
Then lets just mandate everyone buy battery packs and install them in their garage.

If stabilizing the grid depends on people buying EV and plugging them to give power back to the company, while the EV also put more strain on the grid, it is a very shitty plan.

Last edited:
Then lets just mandate everyone buy battery packs and install them I tbheir garage.

If stabilizing the grid depends on people buying EV and plugging them to give power back to the company, while the EV also put more strain on the grid, it is a very shitty plan.
My garage is already full thank you.

Then lets just mandate everyone buy battery packs and install them in their garage.

That's what the virtual power plants (VPP) are. I think we all agree mandates are bad.

In areas where solar is popular, any energy captured (it's not really generation) and not used, is wasted. Putting such excess in batteries for later is an appropriate path for that energy.

Smarter would be to heavily emphasize capture and generation as close to consumption as possible. If every home had solar (or a cogeneration linked to their HVAC) and a battery bank on the wall in their home mechanical room, then the grid would be a backup for domestic users, with its main purpose to support industry - smelting plants can't run on solar.

For skinflint econoboxes this is true.
Hybrids aren't stripped down so if you compare cars with like features the hybrids will usually pay for themselves in fuel savings in 50k miles. Add in reduced maintenance and it's faster than that.
Most people don't keep a car long enough to hit break even on an electric unless they get free charging.

And that's the crying shame. I'm depressed because my 2017 Ridgeline is just the wrong wrong truck. It was a first-model-year vehicle and teh transmission is STILL giving me issues at 100K miles. 5 years. If I don't drive a vehicle for 8 years, it's a shock.

Is their monthly bill over $300 on average? then it will only take them the entire lifetime of the array to get to zero.
That's past insane unless the guy runs a grow operation with 1k/month bills
LOL.

A new client of mine was talking solar. He's in construction. He said something about $50,000 for a system. "WHAT?" "Well, if you want a good one to supply enough power and last 15-20 years, that's what it costs versus using those national companies that do everything on the cheap." "So if you have municipal electric, you'll never switch, will you?" He had to think about that for a minute. My elec bill probably averages 180/mo only b/c my bedroom has a heat pump instead of gas. (Too far to run gas and such. It's over the garage so running the HVAC that far is just too far as well.). It would be $120/mo year-round without it.

And that's the crying shame. I'm depressed because my 2017 Ridgeline is just the wrong wrong truck. It was a first-model-year vehicle and teh transmission is STILL giving me issues at 100K miles. 5 years. If I don't drive a vehicle for 8 years, it's a shock.
10-13 years is my norm to keep a new vehicle - bought by 2004 Ram in '07 got rid of it in '19 because the frame rotted out and gas was killing me on a 72 daily commute.

LOL.

A new client of mine was talking solar. He's in construction. He said something about $50,000 for a system. "WHAT?" "Well, if you want a good one to supply enough power and last 15-20 years, that's what it costs versus using those national companies that do everything on the cheap." "So if you have municipal electric, you'll never switch, will you?" He had to think about that for a minute. My elec bill probably averages 180/mo only b/c my bedroom has a heat pump instead of gas. (Too far to run gas and such. It's over the garage so running the HVAC that far is just too far as well.). It would be $120/mo year-round without it.

He's right about the nationals - they install the cheapest shit they can and usually use subs at lowest bid to install.
If you are in construction, you should be able to install yourself for about $2.50-3.00/watt (plus batteries if you go with storage). After federal rebates it should pay for itself in 7-10 years.
If your electric is averages less than $200/month over a year, solar isn't going to save enough to make it worth it even if it does pay for itself.

My previous truck was a 2006 Tundra. I got it in 07. In 18 I gave it to my son-in-law. He drove it until last year when he traded it in on a sweet deal on a used Tacoma.

Western World’s Energy Folly in a New York Nutshell​

Why should Europe have all the fun? The Empire State tries to sabotage its grid with renewables.​

Holman W. Jenkins, Jr. hedcutBy Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.

From Saturday's WSL.

Oops, the truth and the facts hurt.

"The latest report from New York state’s grid operator is a master class in everything wrong with the Western world’s approach to climate change.

That is: everything wrong with an approach that consists of throwing money at green business interests in defiance of any practical consideration. If you think something else is going on, such as abating climate change, think again.

To meet a legislated goal of emissions-free electricity by 2040, New York will need up to 45 gigawatts of what it delicately calls DEFRs, or dispatchable emissions-free resources. Not only is that more than the state’s total current generating capacity of 37 gigawatts, these DEFRs, which are carbon-free like wind and solar yet not interruptible like wind and solar, don’t exist and have no prospect of existing in the next decade. Starting very much sooner than 2040, New York’s real choice will be Third World electricity reliability vs. paying fossil-fuel operators large fees to keep their plants up and running in a highly inefficient part-time fashion.
Many involved in the state’s energy “transition” might question whether purging the last 10% or 5% of fossil fuels from the system is worth the exorbitant cost. Don’t expect anyone to admit the bigger problem: The transition won’t likely do much to reduce global emissions.

This is the great unmentionable. When New Yorkers use less coal, oil or gasoline because of environmental mandates, the market price transmits the benefit to other global users, who then use more. Even more unspeakable is the corollary: Emission-spewing activities simply relocate from one part of the world to another. China’s emissions growth, from half the U.S.’s to almost 300% of the U.S.’s in 30 years, is partly the product of a transplant of emissions from the U.S. and Europe.

If pressed, Biden officials will privately revert to gobbledygook about carbon taxes that appear immaculately without anyone having to advocate them. The media fill the gap with wishful thinking and Soviet econometrics, confusing inputs with outputs. Yes, world-wide investment in renewables in the past two years has exceeded investment in fossil fuels. Supposedly this proves fossil fuels are on their way out. No, it proves fossil fuels are a better deal, consuming less investment to meet their share of the world’s growing power needs.

Again, the Biden administration quietly acknowledges the truth. Its own studies show that solar delivers 25% of its rated output in electricity, wind 35%, and natural gas 57%. As recently as 2010, coal delivered 67% but has fallen precipitously to 40%. Why? According to the National Energy Technology Laboratory, America’s coal plants increasingly are operated in inefficient, stop-start fashion to support wind and solar, magnifying the national risk of breakdowns and blackouts, which are also highlighted in the New York state report.

New England may well experience blackouts this winter. For the Europeans, of course, everything is worse, having pretended that generous wind and solar handouts made them green while relying on cheap Russian gas to slow the transfer of heavy industry to China. Kaboom.

The ironies are not small. Profit-oriented energy providers already have an incentive to incorporate low-cost solar and wind in ways that meet customer demand for cheap, reliable energy. It’s the pie-in-the-sky mandates concocted by legislators that drive utilities to adopt renewables in senseless ways unless the goal is to make every homeowner buy a carbon-spewing emergency generator.

For another day is the role of the Obama administration’s calculations about the political salability of green subsidies vs. carbon taxes; how climate change became a politics of personal transformation and utopianism; the high priestess Greta.

With its latest “assessment report,” the U.N. climate panel actually lowers its estimated odds of worst-case warming; it sees emissions flattening sooner than previously thought. By multiple models, the costs will be unwelcome but manageable. This good news goes unreported but reaches New York Times readers indirectly, as when podcaster Ezra Klein gently scolds his yuppie listeners that climate change isn’t an argument to forgo procreation. “No mainstream climate models suggest a return to a world as bad as the one we had in 1950, to say nothing of 1150. . . . Nothing in our near future looks so horrible that it turns reproduction into an immoral act.”

The track of future emissions and related costs might be further reduced with well-designed carbon taxes if doing so fitted with today’s dishonest, showy green politics, which it doesn’t."

Why should Europe have all the fun? The Empire State tries to sabotage its grid with renewables.​

From Saturday's WSL.

"The latest report from New York state’s grid operator is a master class in everything wrong with the Western world’s approach to climate change.

That is: everything wrong with an approach that consists of throwing money at green business interests in defiance of any practical consideration. If you think something else is going on, such as abating climate change, think again.

To meet a legislated goal of emissions-free electricity by 2040, New York will need up to 45 gigawatts of what it delicately calls DEFRs, or dispatchable emissions-free resources. Not only is that more than the state’s total current generating capacity of 37 gigawatts, these DEFRs, which are carbon-free like wind and solar yet not interruptible like wind and solar, don’t exist and have no prospect of existing in the next decade. Starting very much sooner than 2040, New York’s real choice will be Third World electricity reliability vs. paying fossil-fuel operators large fees to keep their plants up and running in a highly inefficient part-time fashion.
Many involved in the state’s energy “transition” might question whether purging the last 10% or 5% of fossil fuels from the system is worth the exorbitant cost. Don’t expect anyone to admit the bigger problem: The transition won’t likely do much to reduce global emissions.

This is the great unmentionable. When New Yorkers use less coal, oil or gasoline because of environmental mandates, the market price transmits the benefit to other global users, who then use more. Even more unspeakable is the corollary: Emission-spewing activities simply relocate from one part of the world to another. China’s emissions growth, from half the U.S.’s to almost 300% of the U.S.’s in 30 years, is partly the product of a transplant of emissions from the U.S. and Europe.

If pressed, Biden officials will privately revert to gobbledygook about carbon taxes that appear immaculately without anyone having to advocate them. The media fill the gap with wishful thinking and Soviet econometrics, confusing inputs with outputs. Yes, world-wide investment in renewables in the past two years has exceeded investment in fossil fuels. Supposedly this proves fossil fuels are on their way out. No, it proves fossil fuels are a better deal, consuming less investment to meet their share of the world’s growing power needs.

Again, the Biden administration quietly acknowledges the truth. Its own studies show that solar delivers 25% of its rated output in electricity, wind 35%, and natural gas 57%. As recently as 2010, coal delivered 67% but has fallen precipitously to 40%. Why? According to the National Energy Technology Laboratory, America’s coal plants increasingly are operated in inefficient, stop-start fashion to support wind and solar, magnifying the national risk of breakdowns and blackouts, which are also highlighted in the New York state report.

New England may well experience blackouts this winter. For the Europeans, of course, everything is worse, having pretended that generous wind and solar handouts made them green while relying on cheap Russian gas to slow the transfer of heavy industry to China. Kaboom.

The ironies are not small. Profit-oriented energy providers already have an incentive to incorporate low-cost solar and wind in ways that meet customer demand for cheap, reliable energy. It’s the pie-in-the-sky mandates concocted by legislators that drive utilities to adopt renewables in senseless ways unless the goal is to make every homeowner buy a carbon-spewing emergency generator.

For another day is the role of the Obama administration’s calculations about the political salability of green subsidies vs. carbon taxes; how climate change became a politics of personal transformation and utopianism; the high priestess Greta.

With its latest “assessment report,” the U.N. climate panel actually lowers its estimated odds of worst-case warming; it sees emissions flattening sooner than previously thought. By multiple models, the costs will be unwelcome but manageable. This good news goes unreported but reaches New York Times readers indirectly, as when podcaster Ezra Klein gently scolds his yuppie listeners that climate change isn’t an argument to forgo procreation. “No mainstream climate models suggest a return to a world as bad as the one we had in 1950, to say nothing of 1150. . . . Nothing in our near future looks so horrible that it turns reproduction into an immoral act.”

The track of future emissions and related costs might be further reduced with well-designed carbon taxes if doing so fitted with today’s dishonest, showy green politics, which it doesn’t."
Morons. And we are bigger morons for voting for them. We will get all the stupidity we deserve.

Morons. And we are bigger morons for voting for them. We will get all the stupidity we deserve.
They are brainwashed Leftists who don't study history and don't have a clue what they're talking about. Fossil fuels were the greatest discovery in the modern world which lifted more human beings out of poverty and allowed the Modern World to thrive and produce heat, fuel, crops/food, transportation, etc. These climate freaks have no idea what the world was like before fossil fuels, Ma. has 5x more trees now than it did 200 yrs ago, why's that Greenies?

From Saturday's WSL.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. With a name like Holman Jenkins, you should be a distinguished black man in a tweed suit. Leroy's gentrified uncle.

That said, these sort of "goals" are Uncle Rico. "Whaddaya bet I could throw this football over that mountain over there?" It's never going to happen. But they're gonna talk like it is right up until the point where someone else (because they'll be retired) has to fix it.

Further aside - this is why term limits suck. Imagine if everyone was kicked out of Congress after 6 or 10 or 12 years. They have no long-term downside. They'll ALL just kick the can down the road. The best you could hope for is a complete lack of progress (or regress) as you could never build enough of a consensus.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. With a name like Holman Jenkins, you should be a distinguished black man in a tweed suit. Leroy's gentrified uncle.

That said, these sort of "goals" are Uncle Rico. "Whaddaya bet I could throw this football over that mountain over there?" It's never going to happen. But they're gonna talk like it is right up until the point where someone else (because they'll be retired) has to fix it.

Further aside - this is why term limits suck. Imagine if everyone was kicked out of Congress after 6 or 10 or 12 years. They have no long-term downside. They'll ALL just kick the can down the road. The best you could hope for is a complete lack of progress (or regress) as you could never build enough of a consensus.
Let’s try term limits anyway. What we have is no longer working.

And they haven't kicked the can down the road the last 20+ years on pretty much everything???

This goes both ways, becuase they also don't have long term downside for the lifers.

Their only worries would be making their future employer happy.

In the end, there isn't a clear solution, no temr limits s*cks and term limits s*cks.

Back
Top Bottom