• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New England, prepare for rolling blackouts this winter...

My issue with solar is that whatever its producing during the day goes down to zero at night. So when its dark and cold in winter, and we havent added additional other energy in the form of
anything like nat gas, oil, coal, or whatever, that will produce energy at night.....what happens?

Yup.....you sit in the dark and cold until the sun comes up again......and hope it doesn't snow.

f***ing retards......putting good tax money into something that produces only 8-10 hours a day, and only on sunny days which are like 55% in the Northeast. Good luck. We are fxcked.
An honest solar install company looked at my location in Southern NH and laughed, then declined to quote.
New England is not exactly Sun City and there is no way to replace the current generating capacity with solar here. Period.

My issue with solar is that whatever its producing during the day goes down to zero at night. So when its dark and cold in winter, and we havent added additional other energy in the form of
anything like nat gas, oil, coal, or whatever, that will produce energy at night.....what happens?

Yup.....you sit in the dark and cold until the sun comes up again......and hope it doesn't snow.

f***ing retards......putting good tax money into something that produces only 8-10 hours a day, and only on sunny days which are like 55% in the Northeast. Good luck. We are fxcked.

Part of a solar system is the battery bank which stores energy generated by the system during the day for use at night. And modern photovoltaic cells are sensitive enough to generate energy even on cloudy or snowy days. Rain actually helps clean the panels, improving their efficiency.

It makes no sense to be against solar completely. It's an easy source of auxiliary power, but it has to be backed up by peak power generating systems like nuclear, oil or gas.

Recall that we were able to progress as an industrial society from plentiful energy. All the items you love right now wouldn't be possible without plentiful energy. Take the plentiful away, and regression is the progression.
Maybe now that Europe will get it's fuel from China (who bought from Russia hahaha) maybe this whole thing won't come to pass.

Lamp oil
Inverters
Generator/gas
Wood
Done

Aren't the Beacon Hill Braindead also trying to mandate heat pumps in all new residential construction? NYC banned gas and oil furnaces for all new commercial construction.
Heat pumps don't do well below 30 degrees. At least half of winter in the northeast is below 30.
You are correct, I believe England tried this and it was a boondoggle.

I think you're correctly arguing against the gov subsidized grid feedback systems that most people get conned into buying, but solar doesn't need to be grid tied and shouldn't be.

Even in New England you can capture and store in your house power to run your whole house for multiple days with <50 panels. The issue is government colluding with power suppliers to grid tie.

I have 110kW of batteries in my basement right now and it only takes up 20sqft of floor space and 60 cubic feet of total volume with very generous airflow.

Biden gets shit on for tapping into reserves to lower prices at the pump. Biden gets shit on for NOT tapping into reserves to prepare New England for rolling blackouts. Biden gets shit on his Depends. Biden can't win.

Get Ready for the Big Chill​

The price of heating fuel will soar this winter, thanks to climate policies.​

From Today's WSJ.

"Winter is coming, and Americans may get a cold shock when they get their heating bills, according to a report released last week by the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) that deserves more attention. Bundle up and set your thermostat at 68 degrees, or prepare to pay a bundle.

Average U.S. household spending will increase for all heating fuels this winter (October through March), including natural gas (28%), heating oil (27%), electricity (10%) and propane (5%), the EIA forecasts. Blame higher oil and natural gas prices from demand outstripping supply. Coal plant shutdowns in particular have increased demand for natural gas to generate power.

Households with gas-powered furnaces will still spend about 31% less than those with electric furnaces or heat pumps. Democrats want all Americans to switch to heat pumps, but heating with electricity costs more than gas. Heat pumps are also less efficient in colder climes. That’s one reason four million households in the Northeast still rely on oil to heat their homes.

Another problem is New York’s blockade on pipelines transporting natural gas from Appalachia. Northeasterners who use oil for heating will spend on average $2,354 this winter, up from $1,212 two years ago. Folks with gas furnaces will spend only about $1,094. Democrats in Albany who are blocking the gas pipelines aren’t content with raising energy costs in their own state. They want people in neighboring states to shiver too.

New York’s pipeline obstruction is forcing New England to import more liquefied natural gas (LNG) from overseas, which costs multiples more than domestic gas. The Jones Act, which says that only American-built, -flagged and -crewed ships can transport cargo between U.S. ports, limits LNG from the U.S. Gulf Coast. Six Governors of New England states in July asked Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm to consider suspending the Jones Act to alleviate their energy costs this winter. But that would offend the AFL-CIO.

Instead, the Administration is threatening to restrict U.S. refined fuel exports. This would increase global fuel prices and result in higher heating costs in New England, which relies on oil imports. One bad protectionist policy may thus produce another. All of which means that Americans will pay again for the Democratic Party’s war on fossil fuels. U.S. gasoline prices have been rising again after OPEC’s production cuts, and swelling heating bills will compound the pain.

Could this affect the elections? The New York race for Governor is getting tighter. And a recent poll shows that even the races for the Senate and statehouse in Connecticut have tightened. Perhaps the cost of Democratic energy and climate policies, among other failures, are finally hitting home even in the progressive heartland."

Well he's guilty for the entire situation. He didn't need to tap SPR. All he had to do was not f***ing canceling/blocking energy projects from the moment he entered office. He created the entire problem.

The oil he's releasing will only nudge the price a couple cents and then it will rebound pretty quickly to the higher price. The oil he's releasing is a drop in the bucket. It's a feel good measure to say he's doing something. In actuality he's not doing anything.

260ah 3.2V Lifepo4 cells from BYD part number FADM07315. The cells I got are 269ah to 281ah actual and had test data on each. I paid $11,500 shipped for 128 cells. I've been posting occasional updates on my setup in the Prep of the Day thread.

Purchased through Alibaba from KeHeng New Energy. 60 days from payment to arrival at my door.

20221016_191606.jpg

20220923_102414.jpg

20220923_103119.jpg

Biden gets shit on for tapping into reserves to lower prices at the pump. Biden gets shit on for NOT tapping into reserves to prepare New England for rolling blackouts. Biden gets shit on his Depends. Biden can't win.
He can’t win because he’s a f***ing idiot. He deserves to get shit on every single day.

I think you're correctly arguing against the gov subsidized grid feedback systems that most people get conned into buying, but solar doesn't need to be grid tied and shouldn't be.

Even in New England you can capture and store in your house power to run your whole house for multiple days with <50 panels. The issue is government colluding with power suppliers to grid tie.

I have 110kW of batteries in my basement right now and it only takes up 20sqft of floor space and 60 cubic feet of total volume with very generous airflow.

How often are you replacing those batteries? I know about 15-20 years ago, that was the biggest issue - the batteries were usually marine batteries and would need replacement every 2 years.

Well he's guilty for the entire situation. He didn't need to tap SPR. All he had to do was not f***ing canceling/blocking energy projects from the moment he entered office. He created the entire problem.
That was the plan. One must realize that the DNC and ruling democrats and RINO's viewed The Hunger Games as a guide to utopia. They want the masses barely subsisting, riding gov't controlled transportation and leaving the roads to them. The want the masses to have nothing left for niceties, like vacations. They don't want to see the help unless they are bringing them a martini.

How often are you replacing those batteries? I know about 15-20 years ago, that was the biggest issue - the batteries were usually marine batteries and would need replacement every 2 years.

They are minimum 10 years to only 20% degradation. 15-20 if your solar and storage are sized to better avoid the extremes. LiFePo4 batteries are light years ahead of old lead acids or other lithium types. They can be discharged to extremely low voltages before permanent physical effects. A 3.2V cell can be run from 2.4V to 3.7V with no chemical degradation. Permanent damage thresholds are commonly less then 2.0V or higher than 4.0V.

I'm using a conservative setup 48V system. So my personalized range is 2.5V x 16 = 40.0V low to 3.65 x 16 = 58.4V.

At this setting I can expect to fully cycle the bank 0 to 100% over 5,000 times before I hit 80%. And keep in mind hitting 80% my storage will still hold roughly 88kW.

ETA - For my house worst case is summer use with house AC full blast and I use 50kWh per day. I essentially have 2 summer days of power on hand. Assume I got no sun every other day so I fully charge and discharge the bank every other day. 5,000cycles x 2days per cycle = 10,000 days = 27.4 years

I don't expect them to last that long. I'm sure in less than 20 years we will have newer battery tech based on either diamonds or plastics, both of which have functional prototypes existing today. The radioactive diamonds seem the most promising to me.

Last edited:
LOL. There was a guy on GT eons ago that got one of the first Toyota Prius'. He took COLLOSSAL shit from a # of members there. Honestly - we are 20 years later and none of the crap they spewed ever came true. "Oh the battery only lasts 4 years then it blows up but only if you're in it or if it's in your garage. It senses where it can maximize the damage."

Turns out hte Prius works for a lot of people and gets great mileage. Same with EV's over the next decade. The battery system still sucks ass. But they'll figure that out. In 20 years, these guys will be sheepishly driving a battery car.
Not the same. The Prius is a hybrid, even if the battery is sh*t, or doesn't charge fast enough, there is still an engine that uses gas.

People did talk sh*t, I agree with that and I agree the Prius was/is a success.

But the issues with EV go far beyond battery life or a charging station.

Not the same. The Prius is a hybrid, even if the battery is sh*t, or doesn't charge fast enough, there is still an engine that uses gas.

People did talk sh*t, I agree with that and I agree the Prius was/is a success.

But the issues with EV go far beyond battery life or a charging station.
People shit on prius's because they're ugly too. But they wouldn't sell as well if they didn't stand out because everyone needs to know you're saving the earth driving your ugly ass car

The Dem Greenies have blocked NG pipelines into Ma. for years and are now doubling down like CA. in trying to ban NG hookups for residential/commercial buildings. Bye, Bye Chinese food restaurants and cheap NG. The Dems want sky high energy prices because they live in a fantasy land where "clean" energy will "save" the world. Read about the EU banning nitrogen and fertilizer which will cause widespread hunger and death. Farmers in Holland and Sri Lanka are rebelling. These fanatics must be stopped at all costs.
The only good communist is a dead communist.

I'm not sure that was ever true. SLAs from 15 years ago were good for 7-10 years depending on system design (designing the system to normally draw down to no lower than 50%), and NiFe batteries have been around since Edison, lasting 30 years with good maintenance. Yes, if you used common marine batteries, and drew them down to nearly 0 regularly, you could kill them in 2 years, but that's why there are things like "deep cycle" batteries and (again) designing systems to not draw them all the way down.

The real question is the life of these new lithium systems - we have decent data but won't know for sure for another bunch of years. They are expensive - at a level that should require they go 10-20 years even when abused. We'll see.

My issue with the solar is it's tax dollars that are subsidizing the installs. You pay 26% less tax for the year other serfs have to make up for it.

IMO if you need .gov money to make people buy it you're doing more damage to the market prices for said product than good.
It is worse than that. 99% of all those installs the homeowners are only putting a solar field on there roof that is owned by others and put into the grid. They get a discount on there electric bill but if the grid goes down they get no electricity from there roof.
They have no battery storage and no way to directly use the panels on the roof.

It is worse than that. 99% of all those installs the homeowners are only putting a solar field on there roof that is owned by others and put into the grid. They get a discount on there electric bill but if the grid goes down they get no electricity from there roof.
They have no battery storage and no way to directly use the panels on the roof.
That is exactly my issue. Put panels on my roof and I want a battery bank that stores the energy I use. If i have an excess then instead of the energy having to be discharged send that part back to the grid for a rebate to me. Don't blow smoke up my ass and then say that if the power goes out you are still out of luck.

That is exactly my issue. Put panels on my roof and I want a battery bank that stores the energy I use. If i have an excess then instead of the energy having to be discharged send that part back to the grid for a rebate to me. Don't blow smoke up my ass and then say that if the power goes out you are still out of luck.
O you can get it done with your own batteries but they charge almost double.
Check out the survival forum.

O you can get it done with your own batteries but they charge almost double.
Check out the survival forum.
Will do. But I would not even bother with these companies to do my own setup. I have tinkered enough and can have enough to do what I would basically need in SHTF situation for power needs. I am nowhere near the level of @xtry51 but have setup what I need to live by. I have solar/wind equipment and lifep04 batteries ready to go. I just would never do their BS setup to push everything back to the grid.

Biden should have left well enough alone. But the Green Meanies could not resist touching that third rail.
Now we all get to pay the price of their greed and stupidity.
Thank you to every moron that supports this cluster fook.

What’s with this fossil fuel dick-sucking by so called conservatives? I agree that the green-fetishizing of some is laughable, but ultimately being non-fossil fuel reliant is good for us from a national security standpoint. This is a prime example of that.

Back
Top Bottom