New England Pin Shoots - Central Mass + Others

Palladin

NES Member
Last edited:
Pins! Yes!

I'm a 30-30 man, 52 years old & going strong.

I will try out my old 6-inch S&W M586 with 163-gr GCSWC doing 1400 FPS!

My old standby .44 Mag S&W M629 will be my back-up when the pins get heavy. The 255gr SWCs @ 1000 FPS ought to do the trick!

I'll have no mercy on the pins with my .45 ACP, either. The 253gr SWCs will be hitting them at close to 900 FPS!

I am totally in for these come spring! Ill be shootin my old dan wesson .44 and a .22 that ill need to take the optics off of!

The optics can stay on the .22, as you may be aware. The centerfire events are limited to open sights.

I have cast and loaded enough ammunition for three years' pin shooting at Chester!

Pin Shooting Schedule for New England

I'm always looking for clubs indulging in this great sport.

Kindly submit your info here for the coming 2008 season, with links if possible.

Thank you!

Please post any pin shoot listings in this thread. I'll start with
the ones here in:

North Central MA

I will try to keep these as accurate as possible. Best idea is
to try to check this thread night before a shoot to make sure it
is still being held.

Generally speaking if the weather is crap, expect cancellations.
Shoots generally still go on if there is light rain/drizzle. If it is
raining heavy you might as well stay home, because nobody else
will usually show up. [laugh]

General info for all shoots:

Time: All shoots start at 10 AM and go to 2 PM, some finish
sooner, etc. Do not worry if you have to come late or leave early!

Bring: Suitable guns (Generally speaking, anything goes, except no magnums or juiced loads on
anything but live pins, optics, comps, etc, are all allowed. ) ammo, eye, and ear pro, good sportsmanship
, gun safety. Canister of BUG SPRAY is useful once the flies come out. Also bring food, water/soda, etc, if desired... most
of these places don't have any, although Westminster usually has hot dogs, soda, water, and free coffee available. Winchendon
might have things if the clubhouse is cooking something, but not sure. Don't depend on it.

Format: 2 man duels, 8 man relay system, usually more
than one relay.

Costs: Usually $3 per relay, Win $5 for relay win and $3 for
2nd place. If not enough people show then its usually a $5
fun shoot. Lunenburg is doing $2 per relay and $4 for a win with $2 for
2nd place.

Shoot Locations / Dates:

Westminster R+G
(On Knower rd, on rt side (red gate) Wesminster MA )

Dates: April 6, April 13, May 4, May 11 (10 bucks says this one is on the 10th, a SATURDAY due to mothers day, but not sure yet. ), June 1, June 8, June 22 (Tentative), July 6, July 13, August 3, August 10, September 7, September 14, October 5,October 12.

Winchendon Rod + Gun
(Generally always live wood pins, bring your big guns like .45 ACP on up.... )

Rte. 202 Winchendon MA to River St., Club is 2.5 miles on right

Dates: April 20, May 18, June 15, July 20, August 17, September 21, October 19

-Mike

Last edited:

I'm a 30-30 man, 52 years old & going strong.

I will try out my old 6-inch S&W M586 with 163-gr GCSWC doing 1400 FPS!

My old standby .44 Mag S&W M629 will be my back-up when the pins get heavy. The 255gr SWCs @ 1000 FPS ought to do the trick!

I'll have no mercy on the pins with my .45 ACP, either. The 253gr SWCs will be hitting them at close to 900 FPS!

I tried 16.8 gr of WW296 with the 163gr GCSWC .357, and I get only 1300 FPS : (

I'll hope for 1350 with 17.5 gr WW296 . . . .

otasan - I have noticed that you use a .357 magum for pins with handloads. As I do not reload, can factory ammo suffice? Or does one have to handload to the max with this round to make it work well enough? I'm very interested in this game, having just shot it twice last year at Chester. I wish there were more pin shoots around because I like it better than any other event I've ever shot. Not that I've shot a lot, being new to shooting. (two years)

Thanks, Sydney

otasan - I have noticed that you use a .357 magum for pins with handloads. As I do not reload, can factory ammo suffice? Or does one have to handload to the max with this round to make it work well enough? I'm very interested in this game, having just shot it twice last year at Chester. I wish there were more pin shoots around because I like it better than any other event I've ever shot. Not that I've shot a lot, being new to shooting. (two years)

Thanks, Sydney

I haven't shot pins with a .357 since the 1989 Second Chance Combat Shoot. I have a 6-inch M586 that has been laying around for many years. I just thought that I would try it at Chester this year. My usual revolver is a S&W M629 .44 Magnum, with custom handloads.

As for .357 magnum, the 158gr JHP and 180gr JHP factory loads are a good starting point for pin shooting. I prefer to reload all of my ammunition, and cast all of my own bullets. The 163gr GCSWC that I produce makes for a very nice load. The loaded a bunch of rounds with 17.2gr WW296, which yields at least 1325FPS.

I suspect that heavier bullets are better pin-killers, especially when the pins start out heavy and get heavier.

We shall see what works best on 20April08. Will I see you there?

Last edited:
Lunenburg Format

Mike,

We will be running 8 man relays at Lunenburg. The cost will be $2 per relay. $4 for 1st and $2 for 2nd.

As of right now it will be pin tops all season. If anything changes I will let you know.

Later On,

M.J.

P.S. Thanks for posting the info.

Last edited:
Mike,

We will be running 8 man relays at Lunenburg. The cost will be $2 per relay. $4 for 1st and $2 for 2nd.

As of right now it will be pin tops all season. If anything changes I will let you know.

Later On,

M.J.

P.S. Thanks for posting the info.

Matty thanks for the update!!! I changed my post to reflect the info you
provided. If you have any cancellations or alterations to the schedule
PM me and I'll post it or further revise my existing post.

-Mike

Woodsman Rifle and Pistol Club, Bowling Pin Shoots

Membership not required !

Sunday, June 29, 2008
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Sunday, October 26, 2008

At The Woodsman Rifle and Pistol Club, Athol, MA. 10:00AM to 2:00PM
Cost: $3.00 per shooter per squad (8 shooters per squad) 1st Place for squad takes $5 and picks up an extra pin (6 max).
2nd place for squad takes $2

Directions:Take Route 2 to Exit 17 (Junction Route 32.) Take 32 South toward Petersham for 1/2 mile and make a right onto Woodlawn Rd. Go straight for 6/10ths of a mile. The Woodsman Rifle and Pistol Club will be on the right hand side of the road.

Iffin' you need a map click the link in my sig.
See you there!

Is this 10 pin or candlepin (IE; should I bring a centerfire or a rimfire pistol)? Are there different classes based on pistol? (Nenamasek runs centerfire pistol and revolver and rimfire pistol and revolver - you can wind up shooting 4 different guns in a match!)

Ross, I think it's standard bowling pins- at least I would hope so- candlepins usually cause a ricochet hazard something fierce. [laugh]

-Mike

Ross, I think it's standard bowling pins- at least I would hope so- candlepins usually cause a ricochet hazard something fierce.
Not if you shoot 'em with a rimfire pistol. Go out to Nenamasek in Ware sometime and check it out.

the time I was there, there was one guy using an Automag II - .22 WMR. Man, did those candlepins jump off the table!! Hey, it was a rimfire.

Membership not required !

Sunday, June 29, 2008
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Sunday, October 26, 2008

At The Woodsman Rifle and Pistol Club, Athol, MA. 10:00AM to 2:00PM
Cost: $3.00 per shooter per squad (8 shooters per squad) 1st Place for squad takes $5 and picks up an extra pin (6 max).
2nd place for squad takes $2

Directions:Take Route 2 to Exit 17 (Junction Route 32.) Take 32 South toward Petersham for 1/2 mile and make a right onto Woodlawn Rd. Go straight for 6/10ths of a mile. The Woodsman Rifle and Pistol Club will be on the right hand side of the road.

Iffin' you need a map click the link in my sig.
See you there!

Outstanding!

Kindly tell me about the pin tables.

Are they steel or wood, and how far back must the pins travel to the back edge of the table?

If'n they run the shoot the same as they have in the past, the tables will be standard 4x8 plywood, with 4 pins spaced evenly across the center of the table (you gotta knock them 2 feet back to the rear edge of the table). The shoots are 8-man elimination style relays, not timed shooting. First place wins money as noted above and adds an extra pin to the table, for a maximum of six pins. The additional pins are placed closer to the front edge of the table, maybe a foot or so... Shooters are limited to 6 rounds in the gun regardless of how many rounds the gun is capable of holding...

Last edited:

Thanks, Sydney

Factory .357 cartridges will suffice. I'd use 158gr or 180gr bullets, though. The heavier bullets will move the pins better than the light-weight expanding bullets.

Pin Shoots in New England

I am recovering from an 18June08 bike accident and I have a bit of brain damage, just a little, and a lame right leg. I also have a bit of damage to my left shoulder. I hope to go to pin matches indoor at MRA starting in November.

Otasan, is that you Mitchell? Great shooting a few weeks ago. I tried to get a copy of your book but it seems to be unavailable. If you have an extra one, bring it Thursday and I'll buy it.
Rick<><

Otasan, is that you Mitchell? Great shooting a few weeks ago. I tried to get a copy of your book but it seems to be unavailable. If you have an extra one, bring it Thursday and I'll buy it.
Rick<><

Sorry, no extra books. I had to re-read it myself after my brain injury-memory loss. Where did we meet? Chester? Country Pond?

Yeah, I just realized that my Lodge has a rehearsal that night.

Oh, wait... I'm not an officer this year.
happy093.gif
Shooting it is. [smile]

This is sticky and exactly what I'm looking for. But it does not look like it has been updated for a while.

I went to Uxbridge R&G for a pin shoot today. My first time trying something like that and I had a blast. Was kinda pissed when everyone wanted to call it a day cause of rain.

Anyway, I'm interested in finding where other Pin or Steel Plate shoots are being held in Metro West or Central MA. I see one in Southboro in May another in Uxbridge as well. Other than that I'm not sure where to look. Is there a calendar somewhere that lists them overall (I realise I may be asking for something that does not exist)?

Pointers please for a soon to be Pin and Plate addict?

Back
Top Bottom