New England Patriots 2015-2016 Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
now on to the serious discussion.

Do Brady and the Pats have 1 more run before retirement?

I think Brady has another year, maybe even 2, but will he have the team and the skills to get to the big dance one more time? Or has the dynasty ended?
The league ****ing the pats out of draft picks doesn't help but given Bellichick's record with relative scrubs that isn't an insurmountable
problem. It's not going to be easy regardless- odds are against the entire league being as shitty as it was this year, between the injuries and the management mashups, etc. Teams like Baltimore which are normally a pain in the ballbag but sucked are going to get a "reboot" this season as well. According to a prelim schedule I saw online it shows this.... (order hasn't been finalized yet I don't think, though, just the teams... )

HOME:BUF, MIA., NYJ, BAL, CIN, STL, SEA, HOU
AWAY:BUF, MIA., NYJ, CLE, PIT, ARI, SF, DEN
This is considerably tougher than what was faced this year... so garbage mode/staff is not going to pass muster, particularly not WRT Baltimore, Seahawks, Denver, and Pittsburgh. It'll be interesting to see who they can retain and who they let go, etc...

-Mike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It'll be interesting to see who they can retain and who they let go, etc...

-Mike
They can keep just about everyone they want next year. As they stand they are 5 million under the cap. Mayo will be the biggest casualty if he does not restructure. 10 mill for a player who has gone to IR 3 years in a row is unsustainable. Cannon most certainly be replaced.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/1/25...e-agents?_ga=1.11458740.1612395774.1409270226

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/1/25/10823582/on-to-2016-the-new-england-patriots-are-in-good-shape

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Manning is not carrying that team and "taking them to the super bowl". What got the Broncos to the super bowl is their defense.

Manning is definitely not on my best QBs of all time radar.

MAGG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Manning is not carrying that team and "taking them to the super bowl". What got the Broncos to the super bowl is their defense.

Love him or hate him ( and lets be honest Pats fans usually hate him) he is definitely one of the best QB's to have played the game...Not saying he is the best. But he is up there

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I don't have a hatred of Manning by any stretch. I really thing he's over rated as a QB and forgettable.

20 years from now, no one will be talking about Manning.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

manning threw 17 for 32 for 174 yards and 2 td's sunday with excellent protection for the most part. One TD was when the ball was given to him on the 20 yard line by his defense.

Brady still threw for over 300 while getting put on his back 23 times. Can you imagine how bad Peyton would have been put on his back 23 times?

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
manning threw 17 for 32 for 174 yards and 2 td's sunday with excellent protection for the most part. One TD was when the ball was given to him on the 20 yard line by his defense.

Brady still threw for over 300 while getting put on his back 23 times. Can you imagine how bad Peyton would have been put on his back 23 times?
Exactly.

Listen I'm not saying the guy can't play QB. It's the hardest position and very few people are good at it. I just saying while he's better than the average QB, personally I don't view him as anything more than better than average.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have a hatred of Manning by any stretch. I really thing he's over rated as a QB and forgettable.

20 years from now, no one will be talking about Manning.

With the way the game is now and the stats average qbs put up, all they'll look at in 20 years is 1 ring and 13-13 in the playoffs. All is other numbers will be beat by guys like rdgers, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The patriots had 19 guys on season ending ir. Denver and carolina combined had 15.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Brady and its not even close...

got to 6 superbowls so far

won 4 superbowls

been in the afc championship game 10 out of 14 seasons played (this stat is insane)

Best playoff record of any QB past or present

Best winning percentage of any QB past or present. 77.1 percent

Was the top rated QB in the league this year at the age of 38 which is unheard of.

xero2099

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lewis was great for screens or wheels routes but we need a RB that can make things happen Blount isn't that guy neither is White a o line coache who can coach up the run will go along way for us cant rely on Tb all of the time

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lewis was great for screens or wheels routes but we need a RB that can make things happen Blount isn't that guy neither is White a o line coache who can coach up the run will go along way for us cant rely on Tb all of the time
White is cheap money, he is a good #3 RB after lewis and a good all around back that can run and catch. Agreed blount isn't the guy. He's a between the tackles, more short yardage power back. If it were college, you want him. But with the 53 man roster, he takes up a spot and doesn't give enough value. Also, if he's in, it's a pass and he's blocking or a between the tackles run. They need someone who maybe isn't a star runner or catcher but can do both well and is a dual threat.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could be wrong but when I look at Lewis his physique looks fragile to me. He's a good player but I think he's too breakable.
His injury was a non contact injury so it had nothing to do with his size. But I didn't think it was smart to run him between the tackles so much. They ran him inside as if he were 230 lbs. I don't think he's fragile but he's certainly not a back who can run it 20 times a game all year.

Bison

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Manning is going to become a head coach and lead his teams to Super Bowls. He will be a household name for the next two decades. Your grand kids will only know him as a coach, but you will remember the games against the Pats fondly. Manning understands football and knows how to win. He will also be a first ballot Hall member.

He certainly does not have the physical ability required after his injuries to do the things Newton does or even Brady. But, he might just have enough smarts left to pull out one last victory. i think if Kubiak just let Peyton run the shotgun offense, they would be better off. He is not an under center QB. It would not surprise me if Denver has a completely different offensive scheme for SB 50.

BTW, Brady will be sitting on the beach enjoying his supermodel wife for the next twenty years ... Your grand kids won't know him and Brady will care less.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Manning is going to become a head coach and lead his teams to Super Bowls. He will be a household name for the next two decades. Your grand kids will only know him as a coach, but you will remember the games against the Pats fondly. Manning understands football and knows how to win. He will also be a first ballot Hall member.

He certainly does not have the physical ability required after his injuries to do the things Newton does or even Brady. But, he might just have enough smarts left to pull out one last victory. i think if Kubiak just let Peyton run the shotgun offense, they would be better off. He is not an under center QB. It would not surprise me if Denver has a completely different offensive scheme for SB 50.

BTW, Brady will be sitting on the beach enjoying his supermodel wife for the next twenty years ... Your grand kids won't know him and Brady will care less.
Manning would be better off runnning the shotgun? How'd that work out a few years ago against seattle when Denver had a better team than they do now? With the colts, the saints lit him up in the superbowl, etc. He's 13-13 in the playoffs for a reason, he's not clutch and he struggles against better defenses.

No way will Manning ever coach. Very few players who make big money playing ever coach, it's far too much work and hours. Why do you think Cowher, Jimmy Johnson, Gruden left coaching and are never going back. They make millions to fly into NY Saturday afternoon, watch football on Sunday, talk about it for a few hours, then fly back to their homes Monday morning. Not a bad way to make $3 million, $5 million, etc.

Jimmy Johnson lives in the Florida keys, perfect weather all year and loves fishing. Spends all week on his boat, then "works" for 1 day with 2 days of travel. There are very few BB's any more, they don't want to put in the huge hours.

Manning will end up on CBS or NBC making $5 million for being a talking head and he'll do a million commercials, own car dealerships, etc.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really? Because later generations forgot about Bill Russel? Larry Bird?
While we, and our grand kids will likely forget Matt Cassel, Hugh Millen (I almost forgot him already, I had to look his first name up) and maybe even Drew Bledsoe, our grand kids will have at least heard of Tom Brady

We aren't HUGE football fans, but even my daughters have heard of Steve Grogan and Jim Plunkett

just doing a quick search, I forgot about Tony Easton and only remember Zolak when he's on TV

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While we, and our grand kids will likely forget Matt Cassel, Hugh Millen (I almost forgot him already, I had to look his first name up) and maybe even Drew Bledsoe, our grand kids will have at least heard of Tom Brady

We aren't HUGE football fans, but even my daughters have heard of Steve Grogan and Jim Plunkett

just doing a quick search, I forgot about Tony Easton and only remember Zolak when he's on TV
The players who played with Easton hated him. They would see Grogan getting the crap knocked out of him and hurt and play through it. Easton would have a paper cut and bail out. He was such a weenie. Guys like John Hanna can't stand him.

What manning really has is a ton of stats and 1 ring. If he doesn't get another, with the way average QB's like Matt Stafford, Schwab, etc. put up numbers, mannings numbers will be surpassed by quite a few people over the next 25 years. He'll be looked at in the same category as a Drew Brees but not in the top tier ever. Stats wise, I wouldn't be surprised if Eli Manning gets close to many of mannings stats and he's the definition of an average QB.

You look at young QB's who are starting out in this era of huge offensive numbers, guys like Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Aaron Rodgers started under it to a large degree, Andrew Luck. Those QB's are going to have HUGE stats if they stay healthy. The game is such a passing, high scoring league now, it's only a matter of time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Manning put up most of his stats against a bunch of tomato cans in his division, playing in a climate controlled dome, throwing to two future hall of fame wideouts in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, not to mention having the best offensive lines in football most of the time (Jeff Saturday, etc.) and some outstanding tight ends (Dallas Clark) and running backs (Edgerrin James). To put it plainly Manning always had the deck stacked in his favor and yet he manages to be only a .500 QB in the playoffs with only 1 SB ring (and I don't think he is getting another one this year or ever). The playoffs are where the best teams go and Brady is 22-9. 22-9 against the league's top teams. That's greatness defined. 13-13 is mediocrity defined.

The Pats have not had the greatest competition in the AFC East some years but some years it's been decent. The Jets may not win a lot of games most years (although 10 is not bad this year and they had those two excellent years under Rex) but they always play tough (albeit often stupid) football. In years past the Jets, Miami and even the Bills have had some half decent teams to throw at Brady and the Pats. No, not great competition but better than what Peyton has faced overall IMHO.

Someone said if Peyton had BB as coach he would have pocket fulls of rings. Uh, nope, don't think so. Tony Dungee was a good coach too, coaching is not why Peyton has one ring and Tom has 4. I mean if you want to play that game you could say that if Brady played in Peyton's division with Peyton's weapons and o-line all those years he would have put up even better numbers than Peyton. Brady is not perfect, he has played some less than stellar games here and there, but so has every QB who has been around a while, including Peyton.

The bottom line is they are both great QB's but for different reasons, one for stats and one for winning when it counts and btw, Brady's stats are not too shabby either and most of the time with few or no real weapons to work with. Brady makes his team better, Peyton excels when he has great players around him.

So you can say Peyton is great and when you mean in regards to stats I will agree but one of the all-time greats? No, not unless he miraculously pulls out this SB and at least one more while being a key to the games. Even if he wins this one and another one but it's the Denver defense that really carries the team and Peyton is just the game manager I won't see him as much better than I do now. No, he will have to play great in at least two more Superbowls and win them both before I would even open the discussion of him being an all-time great.

As others have said, stats are meaningless and records get broken but rings are forever, especially ones where you were a key to winning them. Heck, guys who ride the bench get rings, doesn't mean they had much to do with winning the game.

Realtor MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Brady and its not even close...

got to 6 superbowls so far

won 4 superbowls

been in the afc championship game 10 out of 14 seasons played (this stat is insane)

Best playoff record of any QB past or present

Best winning percentage of any QB past or present. 77.1 percent

Was the top rated QB in the league this year at the age of 38 which is unheard of.
All but one of these stats are team accomplishments.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All but one of these stats are team accomplishments.
PlayerGATTCOMPPCTATT/GYDSAVGYDS/GTDINTLNGSCKRATERSH YDSRSH ATTRSH TDSB WinsNFL MVPs
Peyton Manning[SUP][13][/SUP]2669,3806,12565.335.271,9407.7272.15392518629996.56694291815
Tom Brady[SUP][14][/SUP]2257,7924,95363.634.658,0287.45257.74281509938296.48434891642
Manning has 2 more seasons than Brady. In the individual stats, Brady is better and did it with much less talent than manning who always had pro bowl WR"s.

Realtor MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
STFU, you are such a troll when it comes to the Pats.

Like the team would be accomplishing those stats with any other QB. Not....
I know. I really don't like them and it drives me nut. But it is true. If Brady was on some other team with some some other coach he probably doesn't have the stats or the rings. Last week is a perfect example; the team wasn't good and he was horrible as a result. And on the other side of the field Peyton had a way better passer rating and won an AFC championship because his team did the right stuff. Right now some guy in Denver is touting Mannings AFC win as one of the reasons he is the best. Do you see my point?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom