New electrical panel question - how best to attach

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
i am not one either.....but i wish i were...having nothing but trouble with licensed electricians lately.
Trust me. Anybody that doesn’t have a relationship with any tradesmen is in the same boat.
The lack of call backs is crazy and the numbers these trades will toss out are nuts. I hear about it all the time.
I’m lucky in that my plumber is the newest guy replacing a long timer who really screwed up. All other guys are over 20 years and some go back with me to the mid 80’s.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trust me. Anybody that doesn’t have a relationship with any tradesmen is in the same boat.
The lack of call backs is crazy and the numbers these trades will toss out are nuts. I hear about it all the time.
I’m lucky in that my plumber is the newest guy replacing a long timer who really screwed up. All other guys are over 20 years and some go back with me to the mid 80’s.
yep, in my case the a**h*** just walked away half way thru a job...and now i am screwed. he will not answer my calls, and new electricians are wary of accepting liability for the a**h***'s work.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yep, in my case the a**h*** just walked away half way thru a job...and now i am screwed. he will not answer my calls, and new electricians are wary of accepting liability for the a**h***'s work.
File a claim. If it was really him, dont let it happen to someone else and maybe recover some of your monetary loss. Report his lic #

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Like above. If you have a good building department they will run with it. That. Is. Their. Job. That’s one reason to pull a permit. They will make his life miserable and can take it to the state level. I’ve watched it happen from the front row with an excavator, the builder and a plumber all on the same job.
The story behind it is way too long to get into here. It would take hours and it would blow your mind.
A HO pulled permit does not get the same treatment and protection.

Call them on Monday and get the ball rolling. Do it.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Drop 4x6's down from the joists, using Timberlok or eqivalent to attach. Use a short length of 2x4 attached to a pressure treated board anchored to the block wall in each corner. The weight is held by the rafters, and the attachments in the corner prevent fore/aft wiggle. My house came with the rafter attach but not the bottom anchors, that were added by a contractor when he was doing other work in the house.

He also showed me a great way to attach wood to concrete. Hammer drill a 1/8" hole through the wood you want to attach and into the concrete. Put in 3 wires at 120 degree orientations then hammer a nail into the center. Use rebar tie wire. The compression of the wire between the nail and the concrete hold makes for a very secure connection.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like above. If you have a good building department they will run with it. That. Is. Their. Job. That’s one reason to pull a permit. They will make his life miserable and can take it to the state level. I’ve watched it happen from the front row with an excavator, the builder and a plumber all on the same job.
The story behind it is way too long to get into here. It would take hours and it would blow your mind.
A HO pulled permit does not get the same treatment and protection.

Call them on Monday and get the ball rolling. Do it.
i am already doing that, and the guy DID pull a permit...luckily there were lots of rough in inspections too. It was after the walls all got closed in that he ghosted me.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just an update. They did (as far as I can tell) a great job. Him and a buddy were here 12 hours yesterday, one exclusively working on the new panel, the other working outside. They cleaned up/re-hung that rats nest of wires near the panel, and the inside of the panel is super neat. All said and done it was $2300 with materials/permit for new breakers, panel, meter socket, generator lockout plate and socket out behind the house. That price certainly seems reasonable to me as I was told the project would probably be about 3K by other people I talked to.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just for yucks, i looked into what it would take to become a journeyman electrician. It is a four year school AND 8000 hours as an apprentice! I was thinking, hey i already have electrical engineering degrees, maybe it would be a breeze to get an electrician license too.....NOPE!

I am good to go designing missiles, and such, but can not wire a house!

It would be much easier for me to get a general contractor license, with an engineering degree it is only one year apprenticing.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just for yucks, i looked into what it would take to become a journeyman electrician. It is a four year school AND 8000 hours as an apprentice! I was thinking, hey i already have electrical engineering degrees, maybe it would be a breeze to get my license too.....NOPE!
If you want, you can get the schooling done quicker, but it would be a lot of nights. You need 4 years of working under a master as an apprentice, then you can submit paperwork To be allowed to take the test.

It’s not about books and the code, it’s 90% mechanical ability.

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just for yucks, i looked into what it would take to become a journeyman electrician. It is a four year school AND 8000 hours as an apprentice! I was thinking, hey i already have electrical engineering degrees, maybe it would be a breeze to get an electrician license too.....NOPE!

Classic raising the bar by those that have cleared it. Getting a PE is no better in that regard.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Classic raising the bar by those that have cleared it. Getting a PE is no better in that regard.
i was advised to NOT get a PE, when i was a pup. they warned me that i would be liable for everything the company did!

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0

It would be much easier for me to get a general contractor license, with an engineering degree it is only one year apprenticing.
I wired a full house in the shop as a freshman in HS on exploratory while the rest of the class was ringing doorbells then moving on to single and 3ways in the lab area.
The shop had a framed building within it. It was a place I soon learned how to teach other on making their needle nosed pliers useless by welding.
Stoned was no way to go thru HS in the 70’s. Wait. Yes it was!!!

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wired a full house in the shop as a freshman in HS on exploratory while the rest of the class was ringing doorbells then moving on to single and 3ways in the lab area.
The shop had a framed building within it. It was a place I soon learned how to teach other on making their needle nosed pliers useless by welding.
Stoned was no way to go thru HS in the 70’s. Wait. Yes it was!!!
Diagonal cutters work best for self welding!
[wink]

W.E.C

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

How’s your pipe bending skills? I’ve been on some big jobs where some electricians handled pipe benders for weeks before even seeing wire.

Top Bottom