New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

Last night some guy spent $5000 to have them build a launcher to shoot model rockets at pirates attacking ships. I will still watch it if nothing else is on but I sure won't be taking it seriously any more.
That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Last night some guy spent $5000 to have them build a launcher to shoot model rockets at pirates attacking ships. I will still watch it if nothing else is on but I sure won't be taking it seriously any more.

my sentiment exactly, are these guys trying to kill pirates to make them die from laughter ... really? A bunch of model rockets spray painted black and launched using hobby rocket electric ignitors. That's how they will protect ships? I can't take this shop seriously anymore. Whatever serious and inventive stuph they may have done before, it's all nullified by this silliness.

The rocket launcher that they made last night was cool.
I wish that they could have gotten that 1910 Maxim shooting though.
The ATV mounted shotgun for the wounded Marine was nice too.

I think the rocket launcher was stupid as well...but you can't fault them for a customer request. What's the big deal, that's what the guy's in business for, to help a good customer and to make money.......if he turned down customer requests for stupidity, he wouldn't be in business.

The customer asked for a Non-lethal deterant. They did make it adjustable so they could fire them straight on too if the wished. They had a powder charge and did detonate. The reason for the non-lethal was because non military ships are not allowed to be armed in the waters of most countries. I realize that it's BS and the ship owners should arm all of their ships but I guess are just afraid to challenge the stupid law.

That show finally went full retard.

how about last weeks 1919 conversion to shoulder fire?

that cop needs to get bitch slapped. Sell the 1919 to someone that will appreciate it the way it was designed, and with half the money get a new machine gun that was designed to be shoulder fired.

by the way, the rockets episode was pretty retarded.

this ones are cheaper, and would work better:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was definitely hoping that they would get the maxim going too but it sounded like it was too much of an investment for the owner as far as the cost of labor and parts.

Guys, lets be easy on Red Jacket.

The owner of Red Jacket obviously knows (but will not elaborate due to trade secrets) that a fake toy rocket is better then a RPG-7.

I think the rocket launcher was stupid as well...but you can't fault them for a customer request. What's the big deal, that's what the guy's in business for, to help a good customer and to make money.......if he turned down customer requests for stupidity, he wouldn't be in business.

What gets me is that that took zero skill to put together. Also, wtf is with the "licensing" crap about making the rocket go? Last I checked I can get rocket motors at Hobbytown on the cheap with no licensing. And it would go just as far if not farther than their POS rocket system...

What gets me is that that took zero skill to put together. Also, wtf is with the "licensing" crap about making the rocket go? Last I checked I can get rocket motors at Hobbytown on the cheap with no licensing. And it would go just as far if not farther than their POS rocket system...

the rocket motor isn't what you need a license for. it was the powder charge in the rocket that requires a license I think. With a powder charge it becomes an IED. That's atleats who I understood it.

my wife, who is no engineer, came up with this gem: why don't they just get already made fireworks. If you think about it, there are already made mortars, remote detonation charges that go boom even more loudly. Why re-invent the wheel?

The other issue is propagation of stupidity. Governments won't let merchant ships to arm, shipping companies pass the buck to contractors, security contractors ask for non-lethal "weapons" and these guys can't call a spade spade.

This reminds me of another show, when they had a bunch of unarmed "british special forces" guys working for a shipping company, "protecting" ships. Of course a bunch of illiterate pirates with AKs shot their ass and they jumped into water to be picked up by Brit navy, while the hostages were left on-board. The sad part was these guys tried to disarm a few pirates to take their weapons, it did not work. Is it really that hard to stash a weapon on-board of a giant ship? I'm no soldier, but these guys were suppose to be super duper. I bet Chuck Norris would kick everyone's ass with a toothpick.

the rocket motor isn't what you need a license for. it was the powder charge in the rocket that requires a license I think. With a powder charge it becomes an IED. That's atleats who I understood it.
SOT ATF licensing specifies "explosive" or "high explosive" and different thresholds of DD. I am sure they specify in more detail somewhere what that cut-off means, but the short version is that you have to have different licenses (taxes paid) to produce, sell and possess.

Guys, lets be easy on Red Jacket.

The owner of Red Jacket obviously knows (but will not elaborate due to trade secrets) that a fake toy rocket is better then a RPG-7.

I was under the impression that a real RPG-7 wouldn't be legal for the ships to carry in many ports. Unlike the pirates, the merchant mariners have to follow the laws. So yeah, a toy rocket may or may not scare them off, but what would you have them do instead? Fire hoses?

There's not a lot of gun related programming on main stream televisions so it pains me but I don't know if I can watch this anymore. This show is so scripted and the requested projects have gone full retard. The drama is just stupid and completely unecessary.

Only a couple of the projects held my interest as "real world" needs. The Wounded Warriors projects was the best of those since it's a real custom project that makes sense.

It's a TV show which means entertainment and that's what I take it as. Is it corny with the acting and obvious script...yes but it still has some cool guns and good scenes. Again its just entertainment.

Last nights show had to be the most ridiculous so far... a "kill stick"?

All it is is a shortened bang stick copied after a pen gun (for $300.00).

Staged, set-up or not, no f**king way would I want to get my hand that close to a pissed off gator in order to use it as demonstrated.

It's single shot, so in the event the first shot fails to administer the coup de grace, it's going to take awhile to reload.

What's the problem with using a factory pump or semi-auto .410 shotgun (and cutting the barrel down a bit if that's what's needed)?

If the single shot issue isn't a concern, why not use a factory manufactured bang stick.... something that has a proven track record and is a lot cheaper?

If over penetration is a problem, why not use reduced loads?

I'm also wondering if their "kill stick" wouldn't be classified as an sawed-off shotgun or at the very least an AOW.

They really out did themselves for stupidity this time around.

Last edited:

Staged, set-up or not, no f**king way would I want to get my hand that close to a pissed off gator in order to use it as demonstrated.

It's single shot, so in the event the first shot fails to administer the coup de grace, it's going to take awhile to reload.

What's the problem with using a factory pump or semi-auto .410 shotgun (and cutting the barrel down a bit if that's what's needed)?

If the single shot issue isn't a concern, why not use a factory manufactured bang stick.... something that has a proven track record and is a lot cheaper?

I'm also wondering if their "kill stick" wouldn't be classified as an SBR or at the very least an AOW.

A kill stick is nothing new I don't think. I actually saw one or something very similar on one of the alligator hunting shows. I think it might have been one of the logging shows. I recall it being a lot longer though. Maybe they just used a rifle but i thought it was a one shot type gun.

Last edited:

I'm also wondering if their "kill stick" wouldn't be classified as an sawed-off shotgun or at the very least an AOW.

According to Wikipedia, the BATFE only considers it a firearm if it is not permanently attached to a shaft giving it an overall length of over 18 inches. It does not say what it is considered if shorter, but implies that it "might" be an NFA weapon if shorter.

Personally, if I was hunting gators I wouldn't mind having one just in case a live one makes it on the boat.

I thought the idea of the gator gun was valid, but I didn't like his thumb actuated trigger thing. Seems something like a shark stick, underwater gun, or something that was triggered by contact would work better and be less finicky, but probably a lot harder to manufacture.

If they wanted a .410 for this "gator killer", then why don't get the Taurus Judge??? Even though I hate that gun, it seems perfect for this task, and is a handgun with a proper grip, trigger, etc. I don't get the purpose of this "kill stick" at all.

If they wanted a .410 for this "gator killer", then why don't get the Taurus Judge??? Even though I hate that gun, it seems perfect for this task, and is a handgun with a proper grip, trigger, etc. I don't get the purpose of this "kill stick" at all.

Speaking of the Taurus Judge that was one of the guns they were testing with the ballistics gel later on in the show.

how about the X-ray on the $250,000 cannon?

they only X-ray 1 square inch area and say its fine. WHAT A JOKE!

Back
Top Bottom