• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

I was amazing how he got his hands on a pre May '86 BAR in 24 hours!!! Usually dealer to dealer transfers take ~5 weeks.

Maybe Disney helped by pulling some strings. [rolleyes]
They are on 07, so they could work on it and/or the owner could have been off camera... Either way Jesse won't get to take it home for a while...

One of the more forgivable TV magic slights of hands among many.

241169z.jpg

That episode was DeWalt powerfail, but that gun is still awesome. Anyone other than an actual gunsmith would be proud to have created something so awesome... [rofl2]

That opened up a whole new market right there...

It was a game changer.

I hear everyone about the absurdity of this show, and I agree. Having said that, if the show was REAL and authentic it would reach a much smaller market, namely enthusiasts like us who would love to see some innovative gun smithing. Just like all the other "reality" shows it starts to fall off the edge so often that it becomes the norm. The part that troubles me the most is for all the antis it makes gun "people" look like yahoos.

I've got no use for JJ. He's so full of himself that he's a distraction to anything he does. Plus, I'm also getting tired of seeing these "reality shows" interacting with one another. If these shows didn't exist, none of them would know anything about each other. This is all done for some artificial hype. I waiting to see "NJ Housewives" visit Son's of Guns next. We've seen Deadliest Catch guys with the chopper guys with the Sons of Guns guys, etc., etc. It's really dumb television.

Rome

Idk about that....The cast's of Jersey Shore, Real World, and Drama et. al. down range would be kind of watchable. I might actually appreciate the excessive use of explosives and fire at that point. [rofl]

Im calling the producers, and telling them I want to be a guest on the show. I have a great idea for a build, and I know damn well the show pays for all that crap.

I want a .76 caliber, flintlock, blow-back operated, muzzle loading machine gun. I'll bill it as the "gun that should have been". Maybe they can even make it "behind Will's back"

I hear everyone about the absurdity of this show, and I agree. Having said that, if the show was REAL and authentic it would reach a much smaller market, namely enthusiasts like us who would love to see some innovative gun smithing. Just like all the other "reality" shows it starts to fall off the edge so often that it becomes the norm. The part that troubles me the most is for all the antis it makes gun "people" look like yahoos.

You are perfectly correct about the antis making "gun people" look like yahoos. I hate that part of the show and frankly have no use for that bunch of supposedly talented "professionals'. It's one thing to shoot some tannerite targets and enjoy a big of pop. It's another thing to be shooting into a fog of propane. What's quite strange, actually, is that it's not easy to make that propane explodewith a rifle shot. I've shot at big fogs of propane in the past, hitting metal targets and waiting for the ignition never to see it happen. Frankly, I think that their "explosions' are rigged and the shot from the rifle or bazooka, or morter or whatever has nothing to do with the explosion going off. It's all 100% hype and theater magic. It's WWW with guns.

As for wanting to see more gunsmithing, that can never happen. Why? Think about Mythbusters and some of their antics. They won't divulge the materials of some of their experiments because they don't want the vast majority of the 14 year olds out there trying to reproduce them in their back yard. The same goes for the smithing. The producers and most probably the owners don't want to be sitting there talking about milling grooves or drilling the appropriate holes in a side plate to 'convert' a semi-auto to a full auto. So, they talk about the generalities, fill it in with about 40% drama between the employees, daughter, and owners, and throw in a bunch of explosions for the hell of it. That's supposed to make a show but, in my opinion, the vast majority of people who watch that show aren't even shooters.

Top Shot is a well-oiled machine in comparison, imho. I also recently watched a show "3 Gun Nation" which showed the competition of the 2011 finals. Very cool competition. Sons of Guns will go away eventually. It has to because there's not much more they can blow up or build. What's next? An Abram's Tank? Quad 50? I just won't waste my time on that show anymore.

Rome

You are perfectly correct about the antis making "gun people" look like yahoos. I hate that part of the show and frankly have no use for that bunch of supposedly talented "professionals'. It's one thing to shoot some tannerite targets and enjoy a big of pop. It's another thing to be shooting into a fog of propane. What's quite strange, actually, is that it's not easy to make that propane explodewith a rifle shot. I've shot at big fogs of propane in the past, hitting metal targets and waiting for the ignition never to see it happen. Frankly, I think that their "explosions' are rigged and the shot from the rifle or bazooka, or morter or whatever has nothing to do with the explosion going off. It's all 100% hype and theater magic. It's WWW with guns.

As for wanting to see more gunsmithing, that can never happen. Why? Think about Mythbusters and some of their antics. They won't divulge the materials of some of their experiments because they don't want the vast majority of the 14 year olds out there trying to reproduce them in their back yard. The same goes for the smithing. The producers and most probably the owners don't want to be sitting there talking about milling grooves or drilling the appropriate holes in a side plate to 'convert' a semi-auto to a full auto. So, they talk about the generalities, fill it in with about 40% drama between the employees, daughter, and owners, and throw in a bunch of explosions for the hell of it. That's supposed to make a show but, in my opinion, the vast majority of people who watch that show aren't even shooters.

Top Shot is a well-oiled machine in comparison, imho. I also recently watched a show "3 Gun Nation" which showed the competition of the 2011 finals. Very cool competition. Sons of Guns will go away eventually. It has to because there's not much more they can blow up or build. What's next? An Abram's Tank? Quad 50? I just won't waste my time on that show anymore.

Rome

I find us to be in total agreement. At least on "American Gun" there was decent eye candy. lol

I'm also getting tired of seeing these "reality shows" interacting with one another. If these shows didn't exist, none of them would know anything about each other.

Actually, I like seeing people from the different shows interacting with each other.
There was an episode of American Pickers where they bought and old Chevy and sold it to the guys on Pawn Stars.
Then the Pawn Shop guys sent the car to the guys on American Restoration to have the car restored.
I'm guessing I'm not the only one who likes these shows because the ratings show they have a loyal audience.

Im calling the producers, and telling them I want to be a guest on the show. I have a great idea for a build, and I know damn well the show pays for all that crap.

I want a .76 caliber, flintlock, blow-back operated, muzzle loading machine gun. I'll bill it as the "gun that should have been". Maybe they can even make it "behind Will's back"
It'll be a "game changer" for Red Jacket. As long as we non-professionals "don't try this at home." I watch too much TV but I am drawn to this one like a bad car wreck.

Did they corner the market yet?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Back
Top Bottom