• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Delay in Dartmouth MA Licensing

Pewnurse24

NES Member
just an FYI. For those renewing or looking to obtain a new LTC in Dartmouth, MA, the town released yesterday that the detective who was the LO passed away unexpectedly so they are now going to experience increased delays in their renewal and licensing process. May he rest in peace.

I have a date for my interview February 22, hopefully they are back on schedule by then. I imagine its concerning for those who are looking to renew their license, hopefully they are not too delayed in their process.

If I recall, Dartmouth was taken to court by GOAL for having a 4 month wait for appointments and was forced to send several other officers to school to assist with firearm applicants. Wonder why they can't handle the applications in a timely manner?

Yeah that's how a lot of towns do it which is why the go over the 40 days so often. If the LO passes away, goes on vacation, gets injured the process comes to a grinding halt.
I know ! It's just BS that only one ****ing person does it.

- - - Updated - - -

If I recall, Dartmouth was taken to court by GOAL for having a 4 month wait for appointments and was forced to send several other officers to school to assist with firearm applicants. Wonder why they can't handle the applications in a timely manner?
Because, there is no accountability for how long it takes or anything else for that matter. The rulers are in charge not the people.

if this is the case nothing has changed. I️ called this week to make an appointment and it took four days to get in touch with the LO. When I️ finally did, he gave me a date for February. That’s just about 3.5 months. I️ was taken back, but did not want to put up much of a stink to give them a reason to give me a full ltc.

You just need to be patient. After all, licensing the exercise of an enumerated right isn't exactly a priority function for most police departments. I'm sure public gathering permits are being delayed as well.

Seriously, this state needs to be applying for foreign aid funding,
they are more closely running as a banana republic than one of the 50 states.
this state is so far radical left they need a seat next to Cuba at the U.N.

I️ agree with needing to be patient. Unfortunately we hve he numerous break ins in the area which has stemmed me wanting to get my license more then ever. I’ll be lucky to have a fire arm by July after all.

I’m sure fire arms license distributing is not a priority in these departments. However if we were mandated to do things in a timely manner and we did not, we would be penalized. But because they are law enforcement, not much gets done when they do not mean these time deadlines. That seems to be the frustrating thing

I️ agree with needing to be patient. Unfortunately we hve he numerous break ins in the area which has stemmed me wanting to get my license more then ever. I’ll be lucky to have a fire arm by July after all.

I’m sure fire arms license distributing is not a priority in these departments. However if we were mandated to do things in a timely manner and we did not, we would be penalized. But because they are law enforcement, not much gets done when they do not mean these time deadlines. That seems to be the frustrating thing
Really? You didn't catch the sarcasm? The chiefs want this power over their residents, they need to make it a priority. Would you accept a three month delay to register to vote?

I REALLY want to go after another PD for delaying licensing. We just need people who are not willing to put it with it.

Really? You didn't catch the sarcasm? The chiefs want this power over their residents, they need to make it a priority. Would you accept a three month delay to register to vote?

I REALLY want to go after another PD for delaying licensing. We just need people who are not willing to put it with it.

Didnt mean anything maliciously. Was just speaking in context. I️ do feel as if it needs to be sped up, but if GOAL already went after the town and they agreed to speed up the process by hiring, what else could be done. The town will likely just keep doing what it’s doing with just a slap on the wrist.

Comm2A sued Rehobeth a few years back because they had a 12-14 month backlog for appointments.

3.5 months just to get an appointment? That's friggin ridiculous! How long will it take to get your LTC?

It took me 3 days to get an appointment and another 20 till LTC in hand and most, if not all, people in my town have similar results. If it can be turned around that quick here it can be done just as quick everywhere. There must be something that can be done?

3.5 months just to get an appointment? That's friggin ridiculous! How long will it take to get your LTC?

It took me 3 days to get an appointment and another 20 till LTC in hand and most, if not all, people in my town have similar results. If it can be turned around that quick here it can be done just as quick everywhere. There must be something that can be done?

No idea how long it will take me to get my license after my interview. It was tough even getting a phone conversation with the LO never mind everything else. From talking with locals, they say that there is only one officer who only did interviews on Tuesdays and Thursday. This being said, now that the LO is deceased, I imagine it’s going to take time to “train” the new LO on the interview process. I truly hope it’s fairly quick and painless.

Rochester PD is about 1/5 the size of Dartmouth PD and they have two officers who do firearm licensing..my wife took her application to them yesterday and she has her appointment for processing in eight days.

They can, they just don't because there are no criminal penalties for their inaction or incentive for positive action.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if there was a monetary incentive involved with the processing of every application, they'd be cranking them out hand over fist. The sense of duty to the public by government officials is gone in most municipalities in MA.

Last edited:
No idea how long it will take me to get my license after my interview. It was tough even getting a phone conversation with the LO never mind everything else. From talking with locals, they say that there is only one officer who only did interviews on Tuesdays and Thursday. This being said, now that the LO is deceased, I imagine it’s going to take time to “train” the new LO on the interview process. I truly hope it’s fairly quick and painless.

I really hope you understand that this should not be an acceptable excuse. The PD has an obligation to accept and process applications in a timely manner. We're talking about a fundamental right here, although none of them see it that way. Being the designated LO for a PD doesn't exactly require Mesa membership. In fact some PDs used licensing to park cops that they don't trust to do anything else.

Licensing is a very simple administrative function. Type some crap into a computer, run a couple of checks (which they already know how to do) and they're good-to-go. The FRB is very, very accommodating when it comes to helping cops do this job. The PD needs to authorize a little OT, which they probably have to do anyway when they're short handed, at get on with their responsibility.

In my opinion, you're far to forgiving of the government's failure to serve YOU.

I really hope you understand that this should not be an acceptable excuse. The PD has an obligation to accept and process applications in a timely manner. We're talking about a fundamental right here, although none of them see it that way. Being the designated LO for a PD doesn't exactly require Mesa membership. In fact some PDs used licensing to park cops that they don't trust to do anything else.

Licensing is a very simple administrative function. Type some crap into a computer, run a couple of checks (which they already know how to do) and they're good-to-go. The FRB is very, very accommodating when it comes to helping cops do this job. The PD needs to authorize a little OT, which they probably have to do anyway when they're short handed, at get on with their responsibility.

In my opinion, you're far to forgiving of the government's failure to serve YOU.

I've posted this before. My wife and I walked into our county office here in Georgia without an appointment, without any notice. Filled out our paperwork. Eight days later they called us and we went back and picked up our weapons permits. It's the SAME DAMN PROCESS. They verified who we were, verified that we were residents, took our fingerprints, sent them to the FBI, did the background checks and issued us permits when it all came back clean. EIGHT DAYS. The same process took me 12 weeks in Connecticut. There's NO REASON for the delay other than the fact that the people running the system want to make it take that long.

What's the penalty for going over the 40 or so days? I know none, why? Why was the magic number 40 days? Why is it that an FFL can get a go no go within 5mins, but for a license it's longer? Must be the print time on the dam plastic permission slip from the King.

A what can be done. are there generic letters that you guys have written up to AG that can be customized for the situation. I do not feel as if I’m able to provide an adequate argument if it came down to it based on my current knowledge of laws/regulations

As we caw with the Katrina bill, the police lobby is 100% effective at killing any legislation that imposes a penalty upon PDs for not properly serving the public.

Back
Top Bottom