• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New CZ 455 Combo or used CZ 452?

I'm in the market for a new rimfire rifle, and I've heard nothing but good things about the CZ 452/455 series. My question to NESers who own one or both of these rifles is this: should I look for a good quality used 452 (I understand that they are no longer being produced) or go with a brand new 455 combo?

Honestly I'd probably only shoot 17hmr if I somehow ran out of all my ammo for my 22 and 22mag, but it's a nice utility to have (assuming that swapping the barrels doesn't have an adverse effect on accuracy).

Is there something that makes the 452's better? They seem to be the go-to whenever a CZ is recommended. Is the 455 just a newer version with improved features? From what I gather, the 455 is the new standardized receiver for their rimfire line, but does that make it better, or just easier to manufacture?

Any help is appreciated, and pictures are a bonus! Thanks!

I own both and they are both great rifles. You can't go wrong with either.

I also love the idea of interchangeable calibers. I use the 455 in both .22 and. 22 mag.

I'm in the market for a new rimfire rifle, and I've heard nothing but good things about the CZ 452/455 series. My question to NESers who own one or both of these rifles is this: should I look for a good quality used 452 (I understand that they are no longer being produced) or go with a brand new 455 combo?

Honestly I'd probably only shoot 17hmr if I somehow ran out of all my ammo for my 22 and 22mag, but it's a nice utility to have (assuming that swapping the barrels doesn't have an adverse effect on accuracy).

Is there something that makes the 452's better? They seem to be the go-to whenever a CZ is recommended. Is the 455 just a newer version with improved features? From what I gather, the 455 is the new standardized receiver for their rimfire line, but does that make it better, or just easier to manufacture?

Any help is appreciated, and pictures are a bonus! Thanks!

Pretty sure the 452 is still in production, they show up occasionally back in stock.

just from what I read, the 452 is a bit more accurate, the 455 has swappable barrels.

The 452 is only currently produced in left hand and Scout kids version, but used right hand 452s are out there. It's not a switch barrel. The 455 is the 452 replacement with swappable barrels that CZ started putting out, but don't make in left hand. I bought a lefty 452 - very accurate, much better fit & finish than the Savage 22 it lives next to, but not necessarily more accurate. There is some room for improvement to the CZ rimfires, which RimfireCentral covers. The YoDave trigger is a nice upgrade. Scope rings are a little difficult to sort out, read up on RFC for those.

I love the 452, and if they ever sell a lefty 455 I'm getting one. The 452 bolt is getting better as it breaks in. None of the screwy Savage magazine issues, built more like a mini centerfire rifle, nice wood in the stock. No regrets.

1) The primary difference between the 452 and 455 is how the barrel is attached to the receiver. (There are a few other changes, in my judgment minor, that appear to involve reducing the cost of construction.) Over the years, I have recommended 452s to students looking for a quality .22 bolt gun; a couple of them bought 455s when 452s became scarce. While I prefer the design of the 452, I can't say that the 455 doesn't perform just as well.

2) I'm a tad mystified at the complaint about accuracy. On my personal 452, all I did was to install a Timney trigger and open up the barrel channel a tad to insure free floating. The rifle will hit golf balls at 100 yards 10 out of 10 times, so long as there isn't a gale blowing.

CZ 455 is a good, accurate rifle. Fit, build and accuracy are measurably better than most other rim fire rifles on the market short of actual competition rifles.

Best part about the 455 is they made the barrel swap reasonably affordable at about $150 per barrel / bolt caliber

CZ 455 is a good, accurate rifle. Fit, build and accuracy are measurably better than most other rim fire rifles on the market short of actual competition rifles.

Best part about the 455 is they made the barrel swap reasonably affordable at about $150 per barrel / bolt caliber

Cool, probably will be my next purchase, not a big fan of my Sig 522, might sell that.

2) I'm a tad mystified at the complaint about accuracy. On my personal 452, all I did was to install a Timney trigger and open up the barrel channel a tad to insure free floating. The rifle will hit golf balls at 100 yards 10 out of 10 times, so long as there isn't a gale blowing.

... I bought a lefty 452 - very accurate, much better fit & finish than the Savage 22 it lives next to, but not necessarily more accurate. ...

I wouldn't call my comment a complaint - my Savage Mk II BVTLSS is also a golf ball at 100yd rifle. [smile] I got a Savage with a very good barrel, and then did some trigger work, bolt work, bedded the action and free floated it. The 452 hasn't had any of that treatment (yet), and is neck and neck with the Savage already. Can't wait to see what it can do after some more work!

My biggest objection to the Savage rimfires is that they are somewhat cheaply made. They'll shoot very well, but if I never again spend an afternoon tweaking Savage mags so they'll feed it'll be too soon. The CZs I've handled and shot overall quality has more of a keep it forever feel to me. My prediction is that once I get the 452 consistently outshooting the Savage, the Savage is going to be spending a lot of time in the back of the safe feeling unloved.

Buy the 455!

When I end up with a CZ 455 I will out either a SWFA SS x6 on it or a Leupold Mark AR 3-9

What do you gain from the Leupold for an extra $110 vs the Nikon? The Nikon has parallax adjustment, seems like the Leupold does not? That only matters for short range, like indoor or 25 yard ranges right?

What do you gain from the Leupold for an extra $110 vs the Nikon? The Nikon has parallax adjustment, seems like the Leupold does not? That only matters for short range, like indoor or 25 yard ranges right?

For me, I would be looking at a CZ 455 as a "precision trainer" and I would like the scope to be similar to my other rifles / scopes. Exposed target turrets and ranging reticle are my requirement

The glass in the SWFA SS fixed power scope will blow the Nikon away ( I'm a big fan of fixed power scopes )

Persoanlly, the leupold is a lesser interest than the SWFA as I can keep all my scopes .mil / .mil.

For me, I would be looking at a CZ 455 as a "precision trainer" and I would like the scope to be similar to my other rifles / scopes. Exposed target turrets and ranging reticle are my requirement

The glass in the SWFA SS fixed power scope will blow the Nikon away ( I'm a big fan of fixed power scopes )

Persoanlly, the leupold is a lesser interest than the SWFA as I can keep all my scopes .mil / .mil.

Understood, cool, thanks! The Leupold has a .mil reticle as an option though I think.

I put a Weaver Classic rim fire 3-9x32 AO and 11mm TPS ring mounts on my 455 .22 mag. The rings weren't cheap but well worth it to me.

Thanks. I decided on a Mueller APT (OpticsPlanet on Ebay had it for $150), (has mil-dot reticle and AO), will put it on the Sig 522 til I get the CZ.

I've got the CZ 452 military trainer. This was readily available when I was looking and I had a discount I won at a auction so I paid $200.00 for it new. Great gun for the money.

Check out rimfire central as suggested above, lots of good info and advice.

Back
Top Bottom