New CT Resident Laws?

I have read that I can move to CT with a handgun (unloaded, locked container, trunk etc...). My question is, do I need a CCW permit to use it in self defense if I am "inside" my new home? I know I need it to carry but if I only want it for SD inside my own home, do I need to get a CCW? Also, if my father passes away, will I need a CCW permit to inherit his firearms? Do I need to fill out a transfer form or is there something about "inheritance" of firearms? I have not been able to find this info.

Bottom line - if you do not have a pistol permit, and are found in possession of a weapon here in CT - you're going to jail. Whether it's in your home for SD, or on your person. They are extremely adamant about this. You would probably be better to find an FFL or dealer to transfer your father's guns legally. They can direct you as to where the correct forms are. Or call the Department of Public Safety at (860) 685-8290. They're right in Middletown.

Bottom line - if you do not have a pistol permit, and are found in possession of a weapon here in CT - you're going to jail. Whether it's in your home for SD, or on your person. They are extremely adamant about this. You would probably be better to find an FFL or dealer to transfer your father's guns legally. They can direct you as to where the correct forms are. Or call the Department of Public Safety at (860) 685-8290. They're right in Middletown.

that is not true. You do not need a permit to have a pistol in your home. He can move to CT and legally keep the firearm in his house

While I do agree that your best bet is to call the DPS up in Middletown, my understanding is that you need a permit only to:

1. Buy a pistol
2. Carry a pistol on your person in public.

Again, BEST to call, rather than assume ANY of us are correct. Its your ass, not ours.

While I do agree that your best bet is to call the DPS up in Middletown, my understanding is that you need a permit only to:

1. Buy a pistol
2. Carry a pistol on your person in public.

Again, BEST to call, rather than assume ANY of us are correct. Its your ass, not ours.

you need a permit to transport the gun pretty much anywhere, with the exception of moving and maybe one or two i am missing. You cant even bring it to the range locked in the trunk without a permit.

that is not true. You do not need a permit to have a pistol in your home. He can move to CT and legally keep the firearm in his house

you need a permit to transport the gun pretty much anywhere, with the exception of moving and maybe one or two i am missing. You cant even bring it to the range locked in the trunk without a permit.

Correct.

Thanks for all the advise. I will eventually apply for a CCW but I believe it will take quite some time since there is a huge surge of applicants. I just wanted to see what is allowed during point A to Point B which could be at least a year. Most important is if I am allowed to use it in my own home in SD. I look at it this way at worst case scenario, if there is an intruder and I do not use it, I am dead, if I use it, I go to jail.

It won't hurt to apply sooner. Yeah, there's a backlog of permit applications around the country, but the sooner you apply, the sooner you'll get it.

I got my permit 12 weeks after application/fingerprint submission.

Visit the PD to get the paperwork and EXACT instructions on what to bring when you apply. When I went in and asked for the application the Meriden PD desk sergeant reached over and handed me the bundle without so much as a raised eyebrow. When I came in with the filled out app for fingerprints - no appointment necessary ijn Meriden, just certain hours - I was missing the all important money order - no checks please.

Talking with the lady in Records cleared up a lot of confusion. That's what they get paid to do (file papers, not create confusion) and are very knowledgeable on what is needed and when and where it is needed.

This was so much easier - and cheaper - in NH, dag nab it!

The law explicitly allows you to bring a gun into CT when you move here and to bring it out when you move out. . . without a permit.

The law also explicitly says you do not need a permit to posses or even carry on your person a pistol in your home or place of business. (which you are the business owner, not just an employee)

Also, remember that FOPA applies whenever you are transporting a firearm while moving to CT.

FOPA says that you are legal to transport (unloaded and in the trunk) any gun from any location in the country to any other location in the country, provided that possesion of the gun is legal at both the starting point and at the destination.

For example. You live in CT and spend the winter in FL. You have carry permits in both states. But the drive down I95 takes you through both NYC and DC. Should you worry? No. You are legal.

Don

Most important is if I am allowed to use it in my own home in SD. I look at it this way at worst case scenario, if there is an intruder and I do not use it, I am dead, if I use it, I go to jail.

The CT Constitution has a RKBA which says that you can have a gun for defense of the state and of the home. Without a permit, this is interpeted (as given above) in about the narrowest possible way: you can buy a gun (note: there is a separate permit required to buy a pistol and there is a waiting period) and take it home, and use it for self-defense or the defense of your family in your home. Obviously it makes sense to get the pistol permit as soon as possible, and I think that's true even if you only have long guns. It shows you have training, and are with the program, as well as conferring some minor benefits. (I think that with the permit, you don't have a waiting period on long guns. Not positive.)

Once you have the permit, CT is pretty liberal compared to MA, NJ, NY, etc. You do have to negotiate the boundaries of the AWB.

You can also just take a hunting course and that waves the waiting period on long guns.......I think the 1st steps CT needs to do is get rid of the permit requirement to buy a handgun (or the stupid elgibility cert) and the AWB....otherwise CT is not really that bad..no stupid mag restrictions or anything..we can sell long guns privately without government permission..you can buy long guns in NH if you want..avoid sales tax and you don't have to register them or anything..

The CT Constitution has a RKBA which says that you can have a gun for defense of the state and of the home. Without a permit, this is interpeted (as given above) in about the narrowest possible way: you can buy a gun (note: there is a separate permit required to buy a pistol and there is a waiting period) and take it home, and use it for self-defense or the defense of your family in your home. Obviously it makes sense to get the pistol permit as soon as possible, and I think that's true even if you only have long guns. It shows you have training, and are with the program, as well as conferring some minor benefits. (I think that with the permit, you don't have a waiting period on long guns. Not positive.)

Once you have the permit, CT is pretty liberal compared to MA, NJ, NY, etc. You do have to negotiate the boundaries of the AWB.

You don't have to register any guns in CT other than machine guns and AWs.

The way they are currently transferred (the dealer calling the state for a permission #), do you think those records aren't held onto?

While I am sure the official answer is no, I doubt that's the actual answer.

Back
Top Bottom