• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Coyote Hunting Video - Whiplash

It has been a tough October for us in terms of pumping out videos. We are calling in the usual amount of fall season coyotes but they aren’t cooperating once we put the camera lens on them. Fortunately, this one decided to veer from the norm and do everything he is supposed to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, I don't understand coyote hunting. Then again, I don't go for any trophy hunting or fishing. I'm only in it for the food (and I felt guilty as hell about the pike I caught this year who were under the legal length, but took the lure so deep that I had no choice but to bash them and toss them back).

Coyotes are responsive breeders: the harder you hunt them, the faster they breed. You're not reducing their population and not doing anything about predation on livestock or other game.

So, why all this effort just to kill a dog? You could join up and become a cop and do that while making money.

Sorry if I crapped on your thread. I do welcome discussion. I just seriously don't get the attraction.

I have to admit, I don't understand coyote hunting. Then again, I don't go for any trophy hunting or fishing. I'm only in it for the food (and I felt guilty as hell about the pike I caught this year who were under the legal length, but took the lure so deep that I had no choice but to bash them and toss them back).

Coyotes are responsive breeders: the harder you hunt them, the faster they breed. You're not reducing their population and not doing anything about predation on livestock or other game.

So, why all this effort just to kill a dog? You could join up and become a cop and do that while making money.

Sorry if I crapped on your thread. I do welcome discussion. I just seriously don't get the attraction.
If you think they are dogs catch one and put it in your living room with your kids. They are vermin. That is why they are legal to hunt pretty much any time in 49 states.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My experience is the more coyotes you see and hear, the less game you will see. Conversely the more coyotes you kill the less you hear and see them and the more game you see. Now maybe they just vacate our farm and area but I'll take that. Now early October we have turkey then ducks then deer open so coyotes are targets of opportunity till deer closes then we do spend some time on them.

Everyone who hunts our property knows they are expected to wack every coyote even at the expense of screwing up your current deer hunt a bit.

I don't know if it has been mentioned in one of your other threads but what are you using for calls? Do you ever use electronic calls are they legal where you hunt? Or do you just prefer mouth calls?

We have calls we made with Reese Outdoors, called the DWO Signature Series. We can use electronic calls but we like the control we get with hand calling. Plus, we like being more involved in the hunt than just sitting behind an electronic caller.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I see, I was just curious. Seems like a lot of coyote hunts you see have gone electronic now. I have no doubt that mouth calls are more adaptable because the sound programed is what you get every time with electronic. Any idiot can put batteries in something and push a button.

Great video and setup.

I've read of this concept before, with regard to hunting pressure increasing breeding. What observation data was used to form this conclusion?

They kill millions of dollars of livestock annually. Pets, game birds, game animals, etc. They are pretty much the a-hole of the woods.

2E908091-2766-42DF-B0F3-A9322D981754_zpsaaperjua.jpg

I have lost my share of chickens to them as well as 2 piglets. They don't get much hunting pressure where I am and the little bastards are just becoming more and more prevalent. I have atleast one behind my barn a couple days a week.

Cant you shoot them where you live ?

I have lost my share of chickens to them as well as 2 piglets. They don't get much hunting pressure where I am and the little bastards are just becoming more and more prevalent. I have atleast one behind my barn a couple days a week.

"It may seem counter-intuitive, but Schadler argues that coyote populations have thrived largely because of hunting/trapping practices. There is no closed season on coyotes, and “so it disrupts the stability of the pack.” Eliciting the responsive reproduction technique. “The fact that these animals which were once relegated to a very narrow range out west and are now found in Canada, throughout the lower forty eight, Central America, all the way to South America is proof of their resilience in the face of very heavy hunting.”

Okay, so nothing close to empirical evidence? Coyotes' range expands because they can. The broken landscape provides them sanctuaries of isolation. Because hunting? Trapping? Not in MA. Because they've got a food source, and don't have to compete for it. That's why there're here.

I really keep meaning to get out & shoot one of these coyotes. Heard a bunch out behind the house last week, but the season wasn't open yet. It is now, and I've got my AR sighted in & ready to go.

OP - What was the distance of your shot? What's your gear setup (rifle, ammo, scope, bipod, etc.). Is that rifle hydro-dipped to get it white?

Back
Top Bottom