New Colt Cobra vs. ???

If I was Colt I’d have brought the Python our first since there’s a ton of free product placement advertising on the Walking Dead. Certainly helped blow up the price of used Pythons. I think the popularity of that show may be on the wane- maybe that window is now closing.

Cool that it’s not just a 3” version of the New Cobra. I don’t like King Cobras but cool that Colt is making revolvers again. Id buy a Python for sure.

With the 9 (same frame/weight as the LCR .357) we have excellent performance out of a snub and are able to practice at least 50% more than the other calibers due to the ammo cost, but most importantly with the LCR's we have little to no seizure concerns as we consider the guns to be 'expendable' for lack of a better word.

Would I like a souped up version of a classic snub, especially a Colt-certainly but for concealed carry in the toilet that Massachusetts has become it would be insanity to take it even to the range, plus I would stress out over actually using an expensive revolver, as for using ANY modified handgun in MA for self defense-at best it would be nuts, our opinion of course.

Insanity to take a Colt revolver to the range? Nuts to use a modified handgun in MA for self-defense?

Just my $0.02, but you guys are overthinking things. Carry and shoot what you like and can afford, know that the odds of it needing to be used (and maybe seized) are ridiculously low, and rest assured that in the wildly unlikely event you do need to deploy and shoot it you'll be grateful that you had the best, most reliable gun for the situation. The fact that the cops are holding it as evidence at that point will be an afterthought.

I wouldn’t worry about what guns I took to the range but I could see at least the potential for an attorney to try and argue that your extra killy Glock is the reason why the perp you shot in self defense wound up dead vs injured or something like that. Doesn’t mean it would work but I see the potential.

The Colt is pretty much a forged version of the sp 101 (size/weight) and I imagine as pleasant to shoot due to its dimensions and heft but as for concealed carry-it did not work for me- a trouser tugger for sure.

The LCR in either .357 or preferably 9mm is lighter, shorter and thinner AND a much better choice for concealed carry-not as nice to look at but real nice to shoot and carry, really the perfect civilian concealed carry handgun, or rather the perfect gun for the -average- civilian.

Should you get the Colt I would plan on a duty belt and real good holster-maybe a shoulder rig or one of those Alaska jobs.

The Colt is pretty much a forged version of the sp 101 (size/weight) and I imagine as pleasant to shoot due to its dimensions and heft but as for concealed carry-it did not work for me- a trouser tugger for sure.

Should you get the Colt I would plan on a duty belt and real good holster-maybe a shoulder rig or one of those Alaska jobs.
The cobra is 25oz. A G19 is 21oz. Let’s not exaggerate the massive weight of the cobra. Heavyish, but if you buy any kind of decent gun belt you could do it.

When you add a full mag to the Glock the difference does become massive, as one would expect.

I can attest-owned two sp 101's, .357 and 9mm and have the same in the LCR, that the LCR is far more pleasant to carry and is comfortable to shoot in 9mm and bearable in .357 with full magnum loads. The sp is very comfortable to shoot in either caliber, providing one is able to pull the trigger on the 9, the Mrs. could not, but really very unpleasant to belt carry and impossible to pocket carry or the model was for us.

It is said that the sp is built like a 'tank' and its size and weight certainly made it feel like I had a tank on my belt or in my pocket-plus its a cast frame, ounce for ounce forged guns are stronger than cast.

Yes our opinion, but we have had both models, only the LCR makes sense for cc for us.

And remember, I wouldn't mind owning the Colt myself-something about the name and the reputation, which of course brings up the topic of just how good are the new Colts compared to the old ones- those that I almost bought so many times so long ago.

I believe the first handgun I was issued was a Colt Official Police, or something to that effect, pencil barrel (?) and extractor rod that just hung out in the open, no lug-really did not care for the looks.

Still have to deal with the price, for the cost of the Colt I could get the LCR in 9 AND about 1400 rds of ammo - since we are posting about non obtanium stuff here in MA, Colt or K6?

I have one of the original Cobras but have never fired it 'cause it seems to be in the unfired or hardly ever fired condition. I'll just hang on to it till I croak and then the sons and Little Jack can draw straws for it. Jack.

If I had that irreplaceable work of art it would only come out of the safe (by hands wearing 100% cotton gloves, which had been laundered 6 times) on Fridays, when the temp was over 70* and the dew point below 56*, placed on the dining room table and admired while we consumed much beer and many poppers-if there was no wind/pollen and no one within 400' was mowing the lawn I might take it outside for an airing.

Just what was it about the bluing on those old Colts, were they really deeper-darker and absolutely perfect in every way as I remember ?

Just what was it about the bluing on those old Colts, were they really deeper-darker and absolutely perfect in every way as I remember ?

Yes, the bluing on some of the old colts really was that good. But when people ask "what bluing method gives results like that," they are mostly missing the point. The key aspect of "perfect bluing" is the finishing on the underlying metal. The bluing process does not hide surface imperfections, it accentuates them. The best bluing requires the absolute best surface finish. And that surface finish takes lots of time, attention, and hand work by skilled people. This is why there will not be new python, or if there is, it will either cost as much as a Single Action Army, or be a disappointment to the name.

The best bluing may also require toxic bluing salts that are expensive to handle and dispose of properly, but this is not the most critical issue. The hard part is finding people who can even do the surface finish so it looks right.

Yes, the bluing on some of the old colts really was that good. But when people ask "what bluing method gives results like that," they are mostly missing the point. The key aspect of "perfect bluing" is the finishing on the underlying metal. The bluing process does not hide surface imperfections, it accentuates them. The best bluing requires the absolute best surface finish. And that surface finish takes lots of time, attention, and hand work by skilled people. This is why there will not be new python, or if there is, it will either cost as much as a Single Action Army, or be a disappointment to the name.

The best bluing may also require toxic bluing salts that are expensive to handle and dispose of properly, but this is not the most critical issue. The hard part is finding people who can even do the surface finish so it looks right.

They’re charging $500 extra just for the finish on the new Bright Cobra, I wonder if they could use the same process? It seems more a proof of concept effort than a desire to make a collectible 2” Cobra.

straightshooterjake-I really should have bought a few, never knew just how much work went into these guns; apparently Colt only allowed the best of their employees to work on the snake revolvers and only a very select few to work on the Pythons:

Python

Back
Top Bottom