New Colt Cobra vs. ???

I'm in the market for a new small revolver.

I've done some searching on here, I was initially looking at J-frames and similar. I liked the 642, 442, 637. I've shot the LCR and its a nice shooter, but I would like something with a little more metal. The gun will do some time in the truck, the range, and a little bit IWB so some level of concealability. DAO is ok, DA/SA is better for what I want. +P is a must, but 357 I'm not going to say no to 357-rated.

Then I came across the new Colt Cobra. It's a little bit larger, heavier, and more expensive than the J-frames, but it feels nice in my hands and the trigger is smooooooth right out of the box. The trigger was far superior to the Model 60 and SP101 I tried. I understand these are 5-shot revolvers, but I don't think that puts them in a different class all together.

So my real question is besides the Model 60 and SP101, are there any other comparably sized and priced new revolvers? I don't like the Kimber K6s. If I'm spending $1k, I don't want DAO.

Thank you for your help.

Cobra seems perfect for your needs, get it!

colt_lede.jpg

If you want a new six shot alloy frame revolver, the Colt Cobra is the one to get get. On the used market you could also look for a S&W model 12, though they have a reputation for frame cracking issues. No doubt a new model 12 with better modern alloys (and no lock) would sell like hot cakes, but Smith seems to hell bent on neglecting their revolver fans.

they are nice. i got to handle one at shot this past january and was surprised cause i went in already thinking i wouldn't like it. lock work was slick but i kinda feel the guns they were showing were tuned to perfection before they were shipped out there. no way they came off the line that good, although you mentioned the trigger was smooth out of the box, so maybe they do. i never handled one straight out of the box! i'd look long and hard at one if i were in the market. the price point isn't bad either.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. You all picked up on the fact I basically answered my own question. If I were to get a J-frame and add things like a trigger job, fiber optic sight, etc, to make it good, I'm in price territory of the Cobra (enough to justify the extra features out of the box).

greencobra, I'm no trigger aficianado. But after handling all those J-frames, I immediately noticed the difference. The DA was buttery and the SA was incredibly crisp. It was delicious.

Wad, The Model 12 seems like it fits the bill, but finding a wide selection of used revolvers is like going on a wild goose chase, and like you said the 12 has its downfalls.

new production S&W 66 combat magnum. i have the 4.25" model but they're now offering a 2.75" as well. i'm typically not a fan of current production S&W revolvers but this one is an exception. it has a sleeved barrel design and crane lock-up rather than using the extractor plunger. feels fantastic in the hand and shoots great. plus it gives you 357 mag capability.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-66-combat-magnum

I've seen several reviews a of the new cobras and they appear to be quite nice. If I was in the market for such a gun and didn't live in the DPRM, I'd certainly consider one.

From Colt's Cobra web page: "The Cobra® features all-steel construction."

Well that sucks. The original was alloy and only weight 15-16oz.

If your talking about a steel frame revolver, then there are a lot of Smiths to consider including the current snub model 66, or a used 65, 13, 10, 64, 15 etc etc.

Well that sucks. The original was alloy and only weight 15-16oz.

If your talking about a steel frame revolver, then there are a lot of Smiths to consider including the current snub model 66, or a used 65, 13, 10, 64, 15 etc etc.

The original also couldn't handle +p if I recall, though that may have just been the earlier generations. Mine also wouldn't hold a finish at all.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. You all picked up on the fact I basically answered my own question. If I were to get a J-frame and add things like a trigger job, fiber optic sight, etc, to make it good, I'm in price territory of the Cobra (enough to justify the extra features out of the box).

If you know going in that you are going to add all the bells and whistles. Just buy the higher end item from the get go, even if you do your own work and save a little cash, that's time that could be spend shooting the thing. Plus if anything goes wrong, you only have to send it to the manufacture and not deal with 4 different companies.

If you are looking for an all steel 6 shot snub. You might also be able to find a old dan Wesson. They made some really nice stuff.

These new colt revolvers were pretty much designed from scratch, only a passing resemblance to the old ones. Kinda had to be since the old ones needed a lot of hand fitting.

Waiting for the Python to return.

These new colt revolvers were pretty much designed from scratch, only a passing resemblance to the old ones. Kinda had to be since the old ones needed a lot of hand fitting.

Waiting for the Python to return.

Cool that it’s not just a 3” version of the New Cobra. I don’t like King Cobras but cool that Colt is making revolvers again. Id buy a Python for sure.

The Mrs. and I used the following logic when we were deciding which revolvers to get-any gun that will be used for civilian self defense must be light/small enough to be carried and have a trigger that is usable and as it will have to be depended on and practiced with a lot- ammo cost is very important for us..

A carry gun might be a needed gun, a needed gun (use or show) is going to be a 'gone' gun-at least for a while-a gun taken from you will not be returned in the same condition.

Only one revolver made any sense for us, the Ruger LCR in 9mm though we have since gotten the LCR in .357 and .22 wmr (which has a really nice trigger for a .22 wmr).

With the 9 (same frame/weight as the LCR .357) we have excellent performance out of a snub and are able to practice at least 50% more than the other calibers due to the ammo cost, but most importantly with the LCR's we have little to no seizure concerns as we consider the guns to be 'expendable' for lack of a better word.

Would I like a souped up version of a classic snub, especially a Colt-certainly but for concealed carry in the toilet that Massachusetts has become it would be insanity to take it even to the range, plus I would stress out over actually using an expensive revolver, as for using ANY modified handgun in MA for self defense-at best it would be nuts, our opinion of course.

Back
Top Bottom