New CMMG MK47

There is also the Sig 556R, that is an AR style rifle that takes AK47 mags and has a piston system rather than direct impingment.

I see a few issues.
1. Gas System, not piston
2. Aluminum receivers getting banged up with steel mags
3. Would you toss this in the mud and drag it behind a truck and assume it's GTG? Or do the same w an AK and assume it's GTG?
Seems more of a novelty to use AK mags in an AR platform.

With that said it has many advantages. Trigger groups, grips, barrels, rails, stocks.

I don't see this being a worlds first game changer though.

Not sure why the reviewer did a side by side w a 556 BCG a instead of a 308 BCG..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They all,miss the mark on price. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/30/review-new-cmmg-mk47-mutant/ they got sub 2" groups in this test.

It is good to see a beefer bolt.

Few things I think all manufactures are missing WRT a AR platform. WHEN WILL THEY JUST MODIFY A AK UPPER THAT IS,BASICALLY A AK AND THEN MAKE MAGS THAT ACTUAL WORK IN A AR LOWER THAT FIT A AR LOWER THAT ARE NOT 50$

sadly for 1500$ money could be better spent on a more accurate rifle.

As for the wear from the steel MAGS....the bolt doesn't do much damage to the receiver so I don't see the mags doing anything more. If your worried about handling marks on a AR you might want to not use it.

A note on accuracy. What is the accuracy from the cheap steel cased ammo 99% of x39 shooters will want to pump through it. I see this as one of the problems . There is not any inexpensive brass cased accurate ammo for x39. For what it cost for x39 brass and cost of accurate bullets,you might as well run 308 or 300 black out

Final word.....get these under a 1k and I would consider it.

Last edited:
They all,miss the mark on price. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/30/review-new-cmmg-mk47-mutant/ they got sub 2" groups in this test.

It is good to see a beefer bolt.

Few things I think all manufactures are missing WRT a AR platform. WHEN WILL THEY JUST MODIFY A AK UPPER THAT IS,BASICALLY A AK AND THEN MAKE MAGS THAT ACTUAL WORK IN A AR LOWER THAT FIT A AR LOWER THAT ARE NOT 50$

sadly for 1500$ money could be better spent on a more accurate rifle.

As for the wear from the steel MAGS....the bolt doesn't do much damage to the receiver so I don't see the mags doing anything more. If your worried about handling marks on a AR you might want to not use it.

A note on accuracy. What is the accuracy from the cheap steel cased ammo 99% of x39 shooters will want to pump through it. I see this as one of the problems . There is not any inexpensive brass cased accurate ammo for x39. For what it cost for x39 brass and cost of accurate bullets,you might as well run 308 or 300 black out

Final word.....get these under a 1k and I would consider it.
Well, with the 556xi you get your choice of AR or AK style receiver, piston, barrel length, stock (incl. folding), and much more. Then, there are similarly priced Robinsons on the market. So, what you want is already out there.

2. Aluminum receivers getting banged up with steel mags

That is actually addressed;
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/gun-review-cmmg-mk47-mutant-ar-15-7-62x39/

Yes, I said that both steel and plastic magazines work. Normally, using a steel magazine in an aluminum based rifle is a huge no-no, since the harder steel will wear away at the aluminum. In this case, though, CMMG has fitted a steel pin (which appears to be replaceable) to take the brunt of that wear and tear. The pin is visible in the above image just behind the takedown pin. So while the magazine support structure is strengthened, it is also replaceable if it breaks. Nifty.

Well, with the 556xi you get your choice of AR or AK style receiver, piston, barrel length, stock (incl. folding), and much more. Then, there are similarly priced Robinsons on the market. So, what you want is already out there.

Yes in a way but still at 1k plus....no and its not really. I do like the sig looks better though and like the mag release position. Basically I want something that looks like Boris pounded it together on a rainy sunday with nothing else to do.... Cut a traditional AK up an fit it ontop of a AR lower.
I think the manufactures have missed the boat on a "AR" in x39. I also dont see a huge market for the 1200+ x39 lead slingers they are pushing today?

Ak mags vs gay make shift mags = win.

Ar bolt locking lugs are a better setup then the ak for accuracy . Ak less Likely to jam up do to being dirty .

I would rather have a di gun when shooting crossive ammo.
With the way you get to the gas system on a ar it would be more of a pain with a piston to clean . Since you'll have to take the hand guards off to get to it and depending on your front sight setup you'll have to rezero.
Normal di setup spray windex and clean the gas tube with a pipe cleaner .

What I'd use 7.62x39 for, this gun would be a waste of money . Will it take drum mags?

Last edited:
Ak mags vs gay make shift mags = win.

Ar bolt locking dealing is better then the ak= better

I would rather have a do gun shooting crossive ammo
With the ar hand guards unless there not free floated or you use a gas block rail for front sure . You'll have to re zero each time you take then off to clean the gas block .
Di . Spray windex down tube rub gas tube pipe cleaner.

If it had a arak 21 style upper that doesn't use a buffer tube you could rock a folding stock like you can on a ak.

What I'd use 7.62x39 for this gun would be a waste of money .

Will it take drum mags?
What?

I don't even know .
Drunk/stoned posting again??

How many people clean the gas blocks on their AR's?? How many thousands of rounds get fed through the system before it needs to be broken down and cleaned?

[rofl]

ps, this gun is stupid.

x1000

Never mind you can get the same ballistics from 7.62x35 (300 Blackout) in the AR15 platform for FAR less [gun] cost. Reload/make the ammo and your cost per shot is really good.

Or just go buy a $500 gutter gun.

Meh...

I can use any of my regular AR15 lowers with the 300 Blackout upper. If you shop smart, you can even build the 300 Blackout upper for around/under $500. Especially if you share the BCG and charging handle with another upper. Plus, it uses the same magazines as .223/5.56 for AR15's. So no need to get specific mags there. Live in a free state (as we do) and you can use 40 round PMag's, 60 [or 100] round SureFire mags too. If you want to get a drum mag, you can use that too.

Meh...

I can use any of my regular AR15 lowers with the 300 Blackout upper. If you shop smart, you can even build the 300 Blackout upper for around/under $500. Especially if you share the BCG and charging handle with another upper. Plus, it uses the same magazines as .223/5.56 for AR15's. So no need to get specific mags there. Live in a free state (as we do) and you can use 40 round PMag's, 60 [or 100] round SureFire mags too. If you want to get a drum mag, you can use that too.

Or just be a free man and build and own what ever the **** you want .
I'd rather get a cheap ak a pile of mags and ammo . Blow the rest on bitches and booze and another ak .

Then build a 300blk gun and waste money on ammo or time reloading . I could care less about a sub sonic 30 cal rifle. I'm never gonna need that . I'd rather have fun mag dumping a ak .
I'd take a ak a gun made to fire 7.62 vs ar in 300blk . Let's come up With a round and force it to function in a gun that has know issues . Smart !
I got friends who havnt clean there Ak's let alone oiled them in years and dragged them though the mud .
Try that with a ar. I've seen more then one jam up just from using frog lube .

[video=youtube_share;dgpEuCUm6SE]http://youtu.be/dgpEuCUm6SE[/video]

That said the idea of a ar lower that takes ak mags isn't a bad idea . Def better then this.
70d7f0d39b69b55dde1539ff8a31b5ac.jpg

“The Quality Goes In Before The Rifle Goes Out”

Windham Weaponry “7.62x39 SRC”
Model: Caliber: Type: Action: Capacity Safety: Receiver: Receiver Material: Receiver Finish: Bolt Material: Barrel: Barrel Material: Rifling: Stock: Forend / Pistol Grip: Rear Sight: Front Sight: Packaging:
R16M4FTT-762
7.62 x 39mm
Rifle
Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine
Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver Flat Top Type Upper Receiver
Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
Carpenter 158 Steel
16” Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel
1 Turn in 9.5” - Right Hand Twist
6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip None - Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
None - Picatinny Rail Gas Block - Ready for accessory sights Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
Specifications: Windham Weaponry “7.62x39 SRC” Weight: 6.15 Lbs. (without magazine)
Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
Windham Weaponry is proud to offer the highest quality rifles made anywhere. As testament to that quality, we back our rifles with a Lifetime Warranty to the original owner. That Warranty is also transferrable to subsequent owners. See www.windhamweaponry.com for complete details.
[emoji767] Windham Weaponry, Inc. 8-18-2014 JFC - V.1
Windham Weaponry • 999 Roosevelt Trail • P.O. Box 1900 • Windham, ME 04062 Sales Line: 855 808 1888 • Office Tel: 207 893 2223 • Fax: 207 893 1623 E-mail: [email protected] www.windhamweaponry.com
Pricing:
M.S.R.P. $ 1056.00
Model: R16M4FTT-762
UPC 848037028464

I see this is a bit of a resurrection post, but I went with the Palmetto KS47. About a year ago, they had the upper on sale for maybe $299 and a blem lower for like $100. I put the whole thing together for like $450.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-ks47-classic-carbine.html

After I made sure it worked OK, I went ahead and Magpulled it up:

It is a fun gun. Works great with steel mags and Magpul mags. Not so much with Tapco mags, but no loss there. I can't really speak to accuracy. I just plink steel plates with it, and it hits what I aim at.

those use AR pattern 7.62x39 mags which are inherently problematic. yes they can be made to work but will never come close to the curved AK mag that fit the tapered cartridges perfectly. the beauty of the Mk47 mutant design is that it uses AK mags and the bolt + carrier group are based off a 308 as opposed to opening up a 5.56 bolt to fit the 7.62.x39.

there are many reasons the 7.62x39 never caught on in AR pattern and most manufacturers don't want to deal with it.

Toying with the idea of selling my mutant, figured I would hit this thread before I get my act together for a classifieds post... any of y'all interested?

Back
Top Bottom