• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Carry gun

Why is the ammo a “hard pill to swallow”? Price?

If you like the gun and shoot it well then carry it.

There are several of ranges that rent handguns so you can try a wide variety of handguns for pretty short money before you spend on a handgun if you want to.

That said you can’t have too many guns. Working together only we can keep driving the background checks to new all time highs. 👍

Bob
45 ammo is expensive now doesn’t mean it’s a no go if I find a carry gun I like in 45 I will buy it!

The Walther PPS in 9mm shoots real nice for me. Nice and slim, the non-MA trigger is really nice. Grip index is very far forward and high on walther pistols, works well for me.

Love mine too, great shooter. I did switch to P365 though.

For what it's worth, I have an XDS 3.3 and I like it quote a bit. Got it before the Springfield Armory Hellcat came out, otherwise I may have considered that one. The XDS is thin, conceals and shoots well. I have never handled a P365 though. I imagine I would really like it based on what people I know who own them have said and you can't beat the 10 round capacity on such a small gun. If you can handle or even better yet shoot all the ones you are considering that would be ideal, obviously.

For what it's worth, I have an XDS 3.3 and I like it quote a bit. Got it before the Springfield Armory Hellcat came out, otherwise I may have considered that one. The XDS is thin, conceals and shoots well. I have never handled a P365 though. I imagine I would really like it based on what people I know who own them have said and you can't beat the 10 round capacity on such a small gun. If you can handle or even better yet shoot all the ones you are considering that would be ideal, obviously.
I can def shoot the 365, fortunately (or un) with the current market, if I buy one and truely hate it, I’ll be able to get at least what I paid for back in the market

Sold my xds (mod 1) a couple months ago. Shot well when it did not have ftf (mostly when chambering first round). Got a 365 and very happy.

Sold my xds (mod 1) a couple months ago. Shot well when it did not have ftf (mostly when chambering first round). Got a 365 and very happy.
This seems to be a common trend, checking one out tomorrow. I am hearing mixed reviews on the SAS any insight?

I do! Just summer months becomes a bit of a challenge
To each their own lol. I tried the carry gun thing went through a bunch probably will still get a 42 eventually as a backup gun... but the 17 just was the best choice for me anyways

To each their own lol. I tried the carry gun thing went through a bunch probably will still get a 42 eventually as a backup gun... but the 17 just was the best choice for me anyways
You said it in yiur first sentence, it’s not like I’m getting rid of the 17

You said it in yiur first sentence, it’s not like I’m getting rid of the 17

I think it's partly about perspective, too. I'm ecumenical in my carry preferences, and every gun requires a different set of considerations. On a whim once (and mostly just to see if I could pull it off), I IWB'd a Webley Mk V. That's a heavy, clunky six-shot revolver in .455, and hauling it around for a day made me redefine what a "narrow slide" should feel like in my waistband.

I'm a 1911/BHP guy generally, but I'd not hesitate to IWB a full-size Glock if I liked Glocks. They're in many ways a perfect carry option.

What can you shoot more accurately, 9mm or .45?
How much money are you looking to spend on practice ammo?

First answer those two questions, then look for the caliber.

Accuracy and lots of practice > little practice due to cost and shooting all over the place.

What can you shoot more accurately, 9mm or .45?
How much money are you looking to spend on practice ammo?

First answer those two questions, then look for the caliber.

Accuracy and lots of practice > little practice due to cost and shooting all over the place.
Huge consideration right here, only 45 I have consistently shot is in a 1911 pc which can’t be compared.
I think I’m honestly leaning towards a 9mm at the moment due to ammo stockpile and comfort with the caliber

Huge consideration right here, only 45 I have consistently shot is in a 1911 pc which can’t be compared.
I think I’m honestly leaning towards a 9mm at the moment due to ammo stockpile and comfort with the caliber
Then go 9mm.

Forget about all the "bigger caliber = more deadly" stuff. There are plenty of studies showing the % increase in death from .45 compared to 9mm is fairly insignificant.

Forget about all the "bigger caliber = more deadly" stuff. There are plenty of studies showing the % increase in death from .45 compared to 9mm is fairly insignificant.
Oh, yeah?
1351608.jpg

.45 ACP actually puckers the assailant's loincloth.

Yes I have read that, You also know they haven’t had a firefight since they switched back, to either prove or disprove the findings in that study Right?
There is a video I posted a couple of times over the past year, it goes over the statistics, comparing several calibers, handguns and rifles.

Statistically, there is not much difference. So carry whatever you shoot best. If that's .45, then carry a .45.

Back
Top Bottom