• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Carry Gun

Boghog1

NES Member
For years I carried a Beretta 84BB, A couple of years ago I bought an XD45c because I wanted more gun than the .380 had but I have gravitated back towards the .380 just due to the size. I am thinking of selling the XD and getting something else or maybe keeping the XD and getting something else [smile] anyway I am looking at the Sigs in .40 and since work blocks just about any fire arms related site except this one I am hoping to get some information on the differences between the 229 and the 226 in .40
I am not ruling out other manufacturers. so if you have some first hand experience please post up facts.

I am hoping to get some information on the differences between the 229 and the 226 in .40

The grip portion of these guns is essentially the same size, they both have the same magazine capacity as well, although the mags are sized differently. I believe the 229 will also accept 226 mags, but I may be wrong, I've never tried it. I've shot them side by side in .40 and didn't notice any difference. Both were great shooters.

The Sigs rust easy. I'm a freak, but a lot of people have had rust issues with Sigs.

I love my 9mm P226, it's a sweet shooter and worth every penny.

The only "negative" thing I can say about it is if you use the thumbs forward style grip, I have on occasion thumbed down the slide stop/release lever under recoil on shot #10 and the slide went home instead of locking back. Easily corrected by moving my thumb ever so slightly to the left.

The P229 is on my must-buy list for 2011.

The only "negative" thing I can say about it is if you use the thumbs forward style grip, I have on occasion thumbed down the slide stop/release lever under recoil on shot #10 and the slide went home instead of locking back. Easily corrected by moving my thumb ever so slightly to the left.

I forgot about that. I had that issue once or twice too.

Had a 229 in 40. Great gun very accurate but not easy to carry especially if you could afford to lose a couple pounds like myself. I carry a XD9 sub compact now. Like not having a hammer.

The grip portion of these guns is essentially the same size, they both have the same magazine capacity as well, although the mags are sized differently. I believe the 229 will also accept 226 mags, but I may be wrong, I've never tried it.

I haven't had both at once, but I know the P226 magwell and the P229 .40/.357 magwell are different sizes. If the P226 .40 mags work in the P229 at all, there might be some rattle/looseness in there... kind of defeats the purpose anyways since they're the same capacity. Obviously they don't work the other way because the P229 mag is too short regardless of caliber.

-Mike

I have both a glock 19 and a sig 229 and carry the sig. I just like it better and feel more comfortable with it. That being said it is heavier, and takes some getting used to. Mine is in 9mm.

To answer a question asked above, it does take 226 magazines, but they stick out a bit (say half an inch or so) from the bottom of the frame. Not a big deal, and I use a 226 mag every day (they are MUCH easier to find in high cap than 229, which i have never seen; do they even exist?). There is no rattle and it is a perfect fit, except the sticking out of the end as said.

And while I have never had an issue with riding the slide release, a good friend of mine cant shoot my 229 without doing it, and thus never has the slide lock back on him.

I haven't had both at once, but I know the P226 magwell and the P229 .40/.357 magwell are different sizes. If the P226 .40 mags work in the P229 at all, there might be some rattle/looseness in there... kind of defeats the purpose anyways since they're the same capacity. Obviously they don't work the other way because the P229 mag is too short regardless of caliber.

-Mike

I've shot them side by side, but I never tried mixing and matching with the mags. I think the reason for it would be what ERC said, a pre-ban high cap you can find is better than one you can't.

I carry a 229 in .40, I wear it in a comptact c-tac on a cabellas double duty belt, or if I don't need to tuck in a summer comfort. With that rig I carry all day and have no problems, feel better than the rig we had set up for my wife when she had a pps, she has a 229 now...I chose my setup for presumably the same reasons your looking to upgrade, I wanted more caliber in something concealable and comfortable.

I've shot them side by side, but I never tried mixing and matching with the mags. I think the reason for it would be what ERC said, a pre-ban high cap you can find is better than one you can't.

I'm not sure what he's talking about, actually. It's way easier to get prebans for a P229 .40 than it is for a P226 .40, as the P226 in .40 and .357 is comparatively "young". I believe you can "jerry rig" P226 9mm mags to work in the .40, though.

-Mike

I was talking about 9mm mags, not 40. There seem to be far fewer 229s in 9mm out there in general, which most likely lead to the dirth of preban 229 9mm mags.

I have heard you can fit a few extra rounds of 9mm into postban 40 mags for the 229, though I have never tried it.

I was talking about 9mm mags, not 40. There seem to be far fewer 229s in 9mm out there in general, which most likely lead to the dirth of preban 229 9mm mags.

I have heard you can fit a few extra rounds of 9mm into postban 40 mags for the 229, though I have never tried it.

The P229 9mm and the P228 take the same mag. Those are actually easier to find than the P229 .40 mags.

-Mike

The grip portion of these guns is essentially the same size, they both have the same magazine capacity as well, although the mags are sized differently. I believe the 229 will also accept 226 mags, but I may be wrong, I've never tried it. I've shot them side by side in .40 and didn't notice any difference. Both were great shooters.

The Sigs rust easy. I'm a freak, but a lot of people have had rust issues with Sigs.

The 9mm 229 will accept 9mm 226 mags. Pre-ban 9mm 228/229 mags are quite easy to find or were when I was looking.

For carry guns, you might also look at a Glock 26, HK USP compact or S&W M&P compact. I like SIGs a lot but they're not always the greatest carry guns.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what he's talking about, actually. It's way easier to get prebans for a P229 .40 than it is for a P226 .40, as the P226 in .40 and .357 is comparatively "young". I believe you can "jerry rig" P226 9mm mags to work in the .40, though.

I don't know how easy it is to find pre-bans for them, I didn't own a Sig long enough to hunt around for many, and I definitely overpaid for those. And as far as jerry rigging mags, ATF put out an opinion letter that they considered a mag newly manufactured if you modified it to the point where it wouldn't work in the gun it was originally intended for. Who knows if bent feedlips would fall into that category.

I don't know how easy it is to find pre-bans for them, I didn't own a Sig long enough to hunt around for many, and I definitely overpaid for those. And as far as jerry rigging mags, ATF put out an opinion letter that they considered a mag newly manufactured if you modified it to the point where it wouldn't work in the gun it was originally intended for. Who knows if bent feedlips would fall into that category.

Thats a good question. FWIW, out of curiosity I stuffed a 15 round P226 9mm mag with 11 .40s, without much trouble. It -looked- like it would work, too. A follower change would probably get you the 12th round. (there is a good bit of dead space even in a 15 round P226 mag, thats why MecGar can make 17 round mags for it.) [laugh]

-Mike

Thats a good question. FWIW, out of curiosity I stuffed a 15 round P226 9mm mag with 11 .40s, without much trouble. It -looked- like it would work, too.

Someone we both know has shot .40 through unmodified G17 high caps without issue, so I wouldn't be surprised if it worked in other brands too. I wouldn't want to trust my life to it in a carry gun though.

I have both the 226 and the 229 in .40 and it is definitely easier to shoot the 226. At 50' I have no trouble maintaining tight groups with the 226, off hand, but really have to concentrate with the 229, and never match the accuracy of the 226.

However, I remind myself that 50' is a pretty long shot off hand, and if we are talking COM both are more than accurate enough and both are more accurate than I can shoot them. But the practice is the best part of ownership.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to beat my 226 to death and just run it into the ground, and when I do, I will buy a new one.

You know how it is Sig vs Glock, Ford vs Chevy blah blah blah. All of that aside I would honestly say that I believe the 226 to be as accurate as anything out there with the exception of the 1911's. The 1911's put bullets in the same hole.

Back
Top Bottom