New call sign

Hi All,

I have applied for a vanity call sign and it's "pending".. problem is I already made contact with several people, how do I proceed with my new sign?

"This is *new*, formerly *old*" for a bit?

Where does it show up as pending? Whatever callsign shows up under your name in the FCC database is what you should use. There's no harm in continuing to use the old call until you're sure the new one is all set. It used to take weeks to get a new call in the mail.

What exactly are you asking?

You use your old call sign until you have a copy of the new issued call in hand.

Once you get your new call just use it. Anyone who wants to "look you up" will see the change in the database.

No, I understand that, I meant when the new call sign show up in ULS, is there a agreed-upon way to identify myself to those, who already know me by my old call sign?

No, I understand that, I meant when the new call sign show up in ULS, is there a agreed-upon way to identify myself to those, who already know me by my old call sign?

If it's on 2M FM, they'll probably recognize your voice anyway.

Just tell them in casual conversation. "This is AB1CD. I used to be WX1YZ but just got this new vanity call." Then of course the conversation will switch to the story behind your new call [grin]

The ULS is one of the most unstable and slow sites I've seen. Also the application for a vanity sign has been Pending for a week now.... all fees are paid, not sure what else it requires

Last edited:
The ULS is one of the most ubstable and slow sites I've seen. Also the application for a vanity sign has been Pending for a week now.... all fees are paid, not sure what else it requires

It is not an automated process. The sign is reviewed for availability and to make sure it meets the guidelines. My application took about 3 weeks. You can do a search on QRZ and find a lengthy description of the process (including the day of the week that certain steps happen...)

You actually have to use your current call sign until your vanity sign is approved in the ULS. You can use the new one once it is approved, even if you haven't received the paper copy yet.

I think copkpitbob has the communication process nailed...

The ULS is one of the most unstable and slow sites I've seen. Also the application for a vanity sign has been Pending for a week now.... all fees are paid, not sure what else it requires

FCC Usually takes 3 weeks from date of file or their receiving it before it will show in the FCC-ULS.

K1RQS

Were you really expecting the federal government to do anything in a fast and efficient manner ??? [rolleyes]

3 weeks?! Wow... I had to write to their support when I applied for a GMRS license as I couldn't believe it should take 3 days for what should be an automated process. It is absolutely astonishing that another process that should also be automated takes 3 weeks... oh well.

Back
Top Bottom