New Caliber for me ........45 ACP....what to pay?

PaulR

NES Member
I'm used to going to Dicks or WMT and paying:
~$14 for a 50 round box of 9mm
~$20(edit-fixed) for a 50 round box of .380
~$10 for a 100 round box of .22

Now I got a .45.
What am I looking at for a decent price on a 50 round box of Target ammo? WWB or Remington is what I usually find.

I don't think this is an ammo I will be hording, like I have the above calibers....unless you guys present me with a good reason to do so.
Maybe just load up on like ~500 rounds over time. ?

Last edited:
I'm used to going to Dicks or WMT and paying:
~$14 for a 50 round box of 9mm
~$10 for a 50 round box of .380
~$10 for a 100 round box of .22

Now I got a .45.
What am I looking at for a decent price on a 50 round box of Target ammo? WWB or Remington is what I usually find.

I don't think this is an ammo I will be hording, like I have the above calibers....unless you guys present me with a good reason to do so.

$10 for .380's NOT near me... [sad]

$10 for .380's NOT near me... [sad]

woops! that should say $20, sorry! edit coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Reload it. It's ridiculous how much you can save reloading pistol rounds.

I have NO reloading equipment, I have ZERO knowledge on how to reload.........BUT I have been saving all my brass for when the time comes! [smile]

I agree on the reload but there is an online store rite now that has blazer brass for $300 for a case including shipping. Best price I have seen in a long time. .40 a round is usually the best I see I places like Riley's, shooters or Wally World

Check out freedom munitions. Great price and perfect for range day. I've only got there 9mm though.

Dude do you not go when they have sales seriously you can get federal 525 packs of 22 for 27 bucks 9mm around 10 380 for like 13-15

- - - Updated - - -

I agree on the reload but there is an online store rite now that has blazer brass for $300 for a case including shipping. Best price I have seen in a long time. .40 a round is usually the best I see I places like Riley's, shooters or Wally World

Just go to a public range around closing time throw a while bunch in your bag usually get 44 40 9 45 10 357 mag and sig and is free

woops! that should say $20, sorry! edit coming.

- - - Updated - - -

I have NO reloading equipment, I have ZERO knowledge on how to reload.........BUT I have been saving all my brass for when the time comes! [smile]

Don't wait it's not hard or expensive if I started reloading when I started shooting....yikes! Don't go there.....
Unless you know your only going to shoot 100-300 rounds per year. Jump right in.

I grab the FED Aluminium at wally whenever I see it $15

Tula (Steel Case) 15.97 at Walmart.
Petfecta (brass case) 15.50 [rollback] at Walmart

Otherwise buying bulk at ~$300/k is the cheapest short of reloading. From what I understand from looking at this last week.

.18/round for plated 230 grain ball, reloaded.

You save a lot more loading 45 than you do 9mm.

This too. You get even more savings reloading SD ammo. And don't even get me started on obsolete calibers; if I hadn't started reloading for my .455 Webleys, I'd have had to pawn one of my children by now.

Reload it. It's ridiculous how much you can save reloading pistol rounds.

You don't really save any money. You will however be able to get a lot more for the same money. I have honestly found that I spend more now that I reload, but I'm getting three to four times more (rough estimate) more ammo.

But yes, reload! Around Christmas, Cabelas had Hornady lock n load classic kits for for about $260.

Walmart in Hadley usually has perfecta for about 16/box plus tax, wwb is a little more in the 100 or 200 round packs. Hollow points in western mass are usually well over 1$/round.

Walmart is consistently cheaper than dicks unless dicks is having a sale or you have a coupon.

Also....what .45 did you get???

... I got a .45.

Good for you.

Right now, the most important rule of thumb for FMJ is (and this is easy to remember),
if you're paying near .45¢/round (before tax) for .45ACP - you're paying too much, at least for plinking.

It wasn't too long ago that .45¢/round was a pretty firm starting price at most brick and mortar stores (Walmart excepted). And at many stores, virtually all the FMJ will be priced around that rate. However, since October I've noted these economy prices in stores:

DateMake/Type¢/RoundStore
2015-10-07TulAmmo: TA452300: 230Gr FMJ Steel Case.32Walmart/Amherst-NH
2015-10-26Fiocchi: 45A: Pistol Shooting Dynamics 230Gr FMJ.36Cabela's/Berlin-MA
2015-11-06Federal: AE45A100: American Eagle 230Gr FMJ.33Four Seasons (*)
2015-11-15Aguila: 1E452110: Auto 230Gr FMJ.32Baystate Firearms
2015-11-19Fiocchi/TulAmmo: Perfecta 230Gr FMJ.31Walmart/Leominster-MA
2016-01-03CCI: 5230: Blazer Brass 230Gr FMJ.34Collectable Arms

(*) Price after manufacturer's rebate; 300 rounds came in a plastic ammo box, a la:

131200_open.png

Just go to a public range around closing time throw a while bunch in your bag usually get 44 40 9 45 10 357 mag and sig and is free

Sounds like I need to go to your range. At mine I can only ever pick up spent brass not "blazer brass" loaded ammunition :)

Back
Top Bottom