• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New caliber - .327 Federal Magnum

I guess the interchangeability of .32 S&W, .32 Long and .32 HR Mag doesn't mean all that much to most of you?

Nope. I don't care for mouse rnds personally. If this rnd had real SD uses via it's perfomance over something like a .38+, 9mm, etc, I might be interested. So what exactly is the performance of this rnd? I didn't see any real numbers mentioned. I did see this rond shot through what appeared to be a small/med framed Ruger on one of the gun shows on cable (I forget which) and the recoil appeared stout. I'm not one for owning plinkers myself and it sounds like there are more cost effective plinkers out there already. I am keeping an open mind about this new rnd. It might fit a niche for some.

Last edited:
.327 Magnum?

I was reading about a new cartridge called the .327 magnum in "On Target".Apparently this new cartridge has about the ft lbs of a .45 ACP.It appears to only be chambered in 1 gun so far,the Ruger SP101.It apparently can also take any of the old anemic .32 rounds.I haven't even see the ammo for sale yet though,and I'm imagining it's expensive as hell.Anyone know more about this?

Naturally, the recoil energy of all of these .327 Federal factory loads is well below .357 Magnum levels, an important consideration. There is no doubt that, for most shooters, the .357 Mag. produces uncomfortable recoil and muzzle blast.

I prefer the .460 though... If the bullet does not hit the intended target, you will set the attacker afire with the muzzle blast.

[smile]

Apparently it's got mild recoil and 6 rounds can be loaded into a small frame revolver as opposed to the usual 5.

I still don't see the benefit of a .327 over a .38/.357 mag.

Let's be serious here... more mild than a .38 special?

I own a SP101 and launching .38's out of it couldn't possibly get anymore mild, it's so mild, you almost fall asleep shooting the damn thing... it's akin to launching 158 grains of Yanni down the pipe with every trigger pull.

So you gain one extra round in the cylinder. [rolleyes]

A SP101 is a no frills, close proximity defensive weapon. It's built like a tank and goes bang every time, without fail... great backup gun.

It's not meant to take into a fire fight, it's meant to get your ass out of trouble and back to your main weapon, or to safety. If 5 rounds of .38/.357 magnum can't go getting you out of a tough spot... guess what? That one extra round of .327 wont be doing you any good either, it would probably be best served scrambling your own brains. [laugh]

I'm not making fun of anyone here, just making fun of this round.

Last edited:
The SP101 in .32 H&R turned out to be a perfect revolver for my wife, small frame size with a 4" barrel. This would be a nice upgrade for her if she wanted something with a little more punch.

Everyone has different needs LR.

So now that a year has passed, does anyone own a .327 magnum? Ive been very curious about this caliber.

groupcrickets.jpg

[laugh]

So now that a year has passed, does anyone own a .327 magnum? Ive been very curious about this caliber.
I've got a Ruger in .327 Fed Mag, but haven't been able to find any ammo for it. [banghead]

Well, at least I've got a lot of 32 H&R reloads to play with, but they're mild CAS lead bullet loads.

Can't cook up anything stronger because... I can't even get any jacketed .32 bullets. [angry]

I've got a Ruger in .327 Fed Mag, but haven't been able to find any ammo for it. [banghead]

Well, at least I've got a lot of 32 H&R reloads to play with, but they're mild CAS lead bullet loads.

Can't cook up anything stronger because... I can't even get any jacketed .32 bullets. [angry]

There's everybody's answer: it's already a dead cartridge.

There's everybody's answer: it's already a dead cartridge.

Stillborn is more like it.

I can think of many fairley recent examples of cartridges that didn't catch on with the shooting public, becoming commercial flops. Some gained more attention than others, but after the initial buzz wore off, nobody was buying. Examples: .480 Ruger, .308 Marlin Express and .416 Ruger,

How new is new? I swear I read about this in American Rifleman at least a year or TWO ago!

...I think if they made another revolver in 9mm Luger/Para that it
would probably sell a lot better than that contraption. ...

For sure. Even better would be if Ruger brought back the PC Carbine, and maybe make a tube fed lever carbine in 9mm!

Heck, for that matter, I don't see ANY lever actions from Ruger any more! Nor do they have any autoloading .44 Magnum rifles (Deerfield?).

OK, make that a Henry then!

Last edited:
Stillborn is more like it.

I can think of many fairley recent examples of cartridges that didn't catch on with the shooting public, becoming commercial flops. Some gained more attention than others, but after the initial buzz wore off, nobody was buying. Examples: .480 Ruger, .308 Marlin Express and .416 Ruger,

Don't forget the Plastic Fantastic wunderwaffen kaliber; .45 GAP.

I have some loads for my .460 that use about 3-1/2 times the charge of a .30 Carbine round. Those are the loudest handgun rounds I've ever used.

I've fired the .30 Carbine Blackhawk and a .500 (indoors!). I think my race gun is worse.

A 9x23 shooting a 125 grain jacketed bullets crammed into a case barely holding 10.3 grains of VV 3N38. That's VV's slowest pistol powder.

Where does all that gas go? Out 6 barrel ports and a compensator. That makes it LOUD. Painfully loud. As in the-rest-of-the-squad-leaves-the-indoor-range, RO-stands-behind-me loud. Foam plugs AND 33 NRR muffs, nasty loud.

I propose an NES Tinnitus Shoot-Off. Open to obnoxiously, anti-socially, painfully, clears-the-range loud guns.

We need a range, a date and a dB meter. [wink]

I've fired the .30 Carbine Blackhawk and a .500 (indoors!). I think my race gun is worse.

A 9x23 shooting a 125 grain jacketed bullets crammed into a case barely holding 10.3 grains of VV 3N38. That's VV's slowest pistol powder.

Where does all that gas go? Out 6 barrel ports and a compensator. That makes it LOUD. Painfully loud. As in the-rest-of-the-squad-leaves-the-indoor-range, RO-stands-behind-me loud. Foam plugs AND 33 NRR muffs, nasty loud.

I propose an NES Tinnitus Shoot-Off. Open to obnoxiously, anti-socially, painfully, clears-the-range loud guns.

We need a range, a date and a dB meter. [wink]

I'm there...I need to brush up on my sign anyway...[wink]

Back
Top Bottom