• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New bullit proof technology

Water and cornstarch does interesting stuff when fired at a trauma plate, too...

Old news, non-Newtonian/shear-thickening fluids and ballistics are fun together.

I saw this report earlier today, good for her, she seems like an exemplary young lady.

Glad to see she will get a share in any profits realized on the patent, that is how research universities attract the best-and-brightest and the Air Force Academy should be no different if they want to compete.

Non-Newtonian fluids are great! Huge potential. We'll see a lot more from them in the future. 1/4 inch thick trama plate? Not bad in my book. 1/4 of the weight, soldiers will be way happy.

Individuals and corporations have been trying to use shear-thickening fluids for armor for years. I doubt corn starch or anything this cadet's come up with will stop a rifle bullet while still weighing less than conventional plates. I think polymer plates or weaves show more promise in that area right now.

Mythubuster tried to make bullet proof "plates" with the mix... Adam failed in his attempts

Jamie did pretty well with tiles though

Back
Top Bottom