new build, need some help building =]

You call that frugal?

Why do you have two barrels? It appears you only have one upper so I'm assuming you're only doing one build?

I highly recommend buying the Model 1 Sales AR-15 punch set. It's cheap but does the job.

Two lowers one parts kit?

Two barrels one upper?

One stock?

Something seems off... They aren't as swappable as that.

The reason I have two lowers is because I plan to SBR one of them, and build it up in a few months.

The reason for the two barrels: I got a good deal on one so I figure I will put the second away for my sbr build and just have it cut down in a few months.

Make a pistol instead of the SBR. Save yourself the $200/hassle for the tax stamp, should be just as fun. And if you are going to cut one... cut the Superior Barrel

Make a pistol instead of the SBR. Save yourself the $200/hassle for the tax stamp, should be just as fun. And if you are going to cut one... cut the Superior Barrel

I had already planned to, especially since the Noveske is getting sent off to be IonBonded [smile]

[smile]

So I am new to the AR game. As a college student I have tried to be frugal while purchasing items for my build, but I kind of went all out. I have everything up at my second place in Hampton, NH, though I go to school in the north shore area. The only thing I do not have - tools [rofl]

Here is my build (and price list):

Noveske 16 inch Recon BARREL = $435 ($449)
Superior BArrels 16 inch Dexa Barrel = $450 ($467)
Smith Vortex = $46
RRA Lower Receiver Parts Kit = $70

[2] Mega Machine Shop Lower Receivers = $134.99 Each, ($287.62 shipped)
Enhanced Trigger Guard M16/AR15 = $19.95
ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point = $29.95
6 Position Mil Spec Receiver Extension Kit H - Heavy Buffer = $69.95 ($77.95)
Magpul CTR Collapsible Stock Dark Earth - MilSpec = $92.00
Magpul Industries MIAD Modular Pistol Grip - Basic Dark Earth = $34.00

Mega Machine Shop Upper Receiver = ($139.05)
LaRue Tactical 12.0" Handguard LT15-12 = $299
Dan Young National Match M16 BCG (Young BCG) = $240 ($251.55)
[2] Magpul XTM Modular Rail Panel Covers Black = $15.10
Magpul XTM Modular Rail Panel Covers Dark Earth = $7.55

SUB TOTAL = $1,647.54

I am sending the noveske off to be IonBonded, but I cannot due so until I can get the gas block off, which I need punches to do.

Does anyone have any punches, and an armorers wrench (dpms multi) that they would not mind lending out to a local guy (or just come and take off my noveske gas block), then when the barrel gets back from being bonded, helping me complete the upper and show me some basic handling skills?

Any comments about the build?

Brownells is your best source for gunsmithing tools.

First:

I suggest you find out the twist before you cut down the barrel. SBR AR's tend to like a 1/7 twist compared to 1/9 from what I've researched.

Second:

The brand new Noveske barrel....the gas block should pull right off. They don't put them at the factory and they include the pin inside the bag with the gas tube. I know because I just got one myself.

Third:

Assuming that since you called the place in NH as your "second home" I'm going to have to assume you are a MA resident? In that case, you can't have the Vortex flash hider and you will need to get the collapsible stock pinned.

Fourth:

My suggestion, buy an SBR barrel, don't cut one down. Whichever you decide to do, cut the barrel or buy an SBR barrel, don't do it till your approved Form 1 is in your hand.

Fifth:

Does the Mega Upper have M4 feed ramps? If not, you have a Noveske that has them, I suggest either getting a gunsmith to make them in your Mega Upper or find a new upper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom