• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Bows?

I may be in the market to upgrade my bow this season. I've got an older PSE that I bought for about $150 years ago. Shoots adequately for what I want it for but I know the new technology of the last decade is tremedous and want to step up one of these years. Plus, my new range has an indoor archery range so I will hopefully be shooting more than a couple of times a year.

So, what do you guys think is the best brand/bow out there currently at a reasonable price. There is so much out there and I just haven't brushed up on the specifics. I am not looking to spend $700+. I reckon you can get into a nice package in the $400 range.

Where should I start, what should I look at?

BTW, main use is deer hunting from a stand.

its only expensive if you buy everything you want lol

i spent allot on mine, but i didn't buy a package.

bear bones bow i got bout 3-4 years ago was close to 400, then with everything else i got i spent close to 800 maybe an extra c-note by now just getting small junk for it. i could have spent allot less, but between extra arrows, 2 sets broad heads, tit sights, had to get the nice ones then because i new id want to get them later so why spend twice. datatable bow quiver. good hunting style stabilizer, not one of those decoration ones. string peep couple dollers but hey at the end everything added up LOL

got it all tuned perfect "for hunting" "for me" and honestly it was worth it, fun to shoot, bonus hunting seasons.

to top it off, i figure if they ever manage to take away all our guns, the one thing ill always have is my bow. you never know right, hey!!! its at least a great reason to buy a couple bows and tons of arrows.

The new matthews are awesome. Its amazing to get 300+fps from such a tiny bow axle to axle. The hoyts are nice too and im really starting to like my new bowtech (i have one of each maker) i would see what you could find from those makers. Matthews and Hoyt offer no questions asked warranties. You can run em over with your truck and they will fix or replace it.

my bow

Check out http://www.huntersfriend.com/. The ready-to-hunt packages are pretty good. The Martin Cheetah is a great bow and they have a good package for like $500'ish.

I bought the PSE deerhunter package from them two years ago and i like it. they give you everything you need.

i need to get it tuned up and do some shooting in the spring. the club i belong too shoots indoor and outdoor archery which is nice.

www.woburnsportsmen.com great club in Bedford, MA

+1 on Hunters Friend !

I bought a ready to hunt set up from them and even if you don't buy from them the info on their website is top notch.

+1000

That's where I got m CSS. On that note, I just found out that CSS is now partnered with Horton Crossbows. The old CSS is now the Horton Vertical.

+1000

That's where I got m CSS. On that note, I just found out that CSS is now partnered with Horton Crossbows. The old CSS is now the Horton Vertical.

Great site, HOWEVER, I would only purchase from there if you're completely comfortable with what you're getting and what you need. If you're a beginner, do yourself a favor and go to a shop. You can find great deals there, too. I got a Hoyt previous season model at Jerry's for next to nothing.

I'd like to try bow for deer this year but I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ and then out that I don't like it.

I'd like to try bow for deer this year but I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ and then out that I don't like it.

Buy something inexpensive. You can get decent bows for little money. If you don't like it, sell it for a partial return. Even if I hated bow hunting, I still enjoy shooting it at the range.

Thanks for the info. The Hunter's Friend site looks great and the packages that come ready to roll are sweet. Learned my current set up is likely too much of a draw which may contribute to the forearm slap I get. Need to check that out tonight.

JonJ, you can get an adequate used hunting set up for $100-200 to try it out. That is what I have always shot. Want to move up in the world though. Plus, you can always turn and sell it for your money back. No restrictions on these (sold my last one on Ebay for a lot more than I thought I'd get).

Big Al's in Seabrook NH. Just about everything you need and they will custom fit to your specifications. Decent selection of new and used at all price levels. I bought a Bowtech Guardian (more than I wanted to spend but worth every dime) that shoots like a laser beam, is quiet, and very fun.

If your budget can afford it, look for a Mathews Drenalin or Switchback. I currently own a Drenalin and it is one sweet bow. Took a buck with it this year. If you are in the area you are free to try it out in my backyard before you drop the coin on one.

Is there some particular brand and model that
I should look for used?

If I were you, I would shop around. Find a brand that you like and fits you properly.

If you shoot fingers, then you want a longer axle to axle length to minimize finger pinch.

Release shooters can get by with shorter bows.

Also, your release choice can determine which type of cams you want.

Hard cams, medium cams, wheels etc.

Hard cams give you more arrow speed, at the expense of hand shock and radical let-off.

Medium cams smooth out the draw and the shock.

Wheels are the smoothest, at the expense of arrow speed.

Most bows also shoot their best at their maximum draw weight.
So a bow that is 60-70lbs will shoot better set at 70lbs as opposed
to a bow that is rated 70-80lbs that is set at 70lbs.

Do not overbow yourself! If you can shoot comfortably at 70lbs,
stay there. You will find out quickly that as you adjust your draw
weight, you will be buying new arrows, points etc.

A good pro shop will fit you for a bow, new or used. I suggest going
this route even for a used bow. They should check the bow out
completely for you.

This should include: Setting the tiller, adjusting the timing, replacing
string/cables as needed and tuning the bow to your shooting style
and arrow choice.

Unless you know exactly what you are in the market for, I would
avoid ordering a bow from an online outfit. I feel comfortable doing
this because, like my guns, I have been servicing my own bows for
years.

Hope this helps!

take a look at Darton's bows they are nice. Make sure you go to the right shop. Many Bows are great Hoyt, Mattews, Darton what is importnat is that you are fitted with the right Bow, and it is set up right.

If I were you, I would shop around. Find a brand that you like and fits you properly.

If you shoot fingers, then you want a longer axle to axle length to minimize finger pinch.

Hope this helps!

I hadn't thought about that finger pinch aspect. I've never used a release. I too am looking to get back into bows and find there're a whole lot more options available these days, 25 years later...

That was some good stuff you posted up -- thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom