1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

New boots

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 84ta406, Apr 30, 2017.

1. 84ta406

84ta406 Dealer NES Member

Looking for a new pair of work boots. My back can tell I need new ones so the search is on. I've always been a big fan of Wolverine boots, they've served me well but I feel like I need something new/better. I do a shit ton of walking a day around the shop, 8-10miles a day and it gets HOT during the upcoming months in the shop. Any suggestions guys?

2. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
  3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Doc Martin industrial boots were the most comfortable boot Ive ever worn. But I ended up with Plantar Fascitis in both feet because of them not supporting my arch properly. Before, and after them, I have worn Timberland Pro's and have nothing but positive reviews for them. I found that the Titan seemed to last me longer than the others.

If you can get away with a safety toe oxford, the Timberland Pro Branston was what I switched to after my promotion, and they are even more comfortable than the boots.

4. oldguy68

oldguy68 NES Member

Wolverine Durashocks.
    They don't last as long as other boots due to there softer rubber sole.
    But they will put a spring in your step!

5. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I bought comp-toe Danner boots. Better that the wolverine and red wings that are collecting spider webs. Real comfy. My back thanks me.

6. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

Ariats. Best boots I've owned lately.

7. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Redwings with the Supersole. They put a soft gummy layer on the outside of the sole to provide more cushion. I wear the 2406 which is non-insulated 6" with the steel toe. I have permanent arch problems and plantar fasciitis (arch and heel pain) so I replace the Redwing insole with an insole called Powerstep Pinnacle that I get on Amazon.

8. Aaron[MA]

Aaron[MA] NES Member

I wore Timberlands for years, then tried some Redwings about 5 years ago (model 1206 i think). I had the Redwings resoled 2 winters ago (with Vibram Lug soles; something I couldnt find on any new Redwings), but they only lasted until a couple months ago when I realized they were literally falling apart - the sole was separating from the boot.

I didnt love anything else at the Redwing Store. I thought about something custom (Read about Whites boots here on NES) but didnt want to spend that kind of money or wait that long.

Found these and am extremely happy with them:

[​IMG]

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57044?feat=506796-plalander

They're made by Chippewa for LL Bean (in the USA) and seem extremely well constructed.
    Break-in is a MOFO; I swear it took 3+ weeks wearing them 10+ hrs/day. They're still stiff!

They are insulated, so perhaps not perfect for OP's needs, but I would definitely consider another pair of Chippewas (I'd be surprised if there wasn't an uninsulated version available).

Good luck!

9. gamma19

gamma19

Thorogood boots. I have a pair of the American heritage moc toes. Most comfortable pair of boots I've ever owned. They're unlined so great for the warmer months, very durable, can be resoled, and best of all American made with American leather/parts.

10. GPP

GPP NES Member

Asolo 535s

11. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

You couldn't give me Chippewa boots. Had a pair for 4 months and the souls were separating from the boot at the heel. Both shanks also started rattling around when I walked maybe 3 weeks after I bought them. Brought them back for replacement and they would not do anything about the pieces of shit. Never again. Ever.

12. ivarr

ivarr

fixxah is right, danner...

13. EddieA

EddieA NES Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP, lots of walking on a concrete shop floor.
    Just ordered my third pair (in about five years) of boots from my Mac Tool guy.
    The label is Coastal Boot, model Grinder, comfy and ankle padding, both important to me.
    Due to past Plantar problems, I wear orthotic inserts purchased at The Walking Store in my street shoes, and my boots.

14. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

Do you need oil and grease resistance? Not sure what type of shop you work in. If you don't need a hard/tough exterior a hiking boot may be more comfortable for that kind of daily mileage. Merrell has a good name in hiking boots and shoes.

I usually purchase from LL Bean and take advantage of their lifetime guarantee. When they wear out you can get full credit for them and repurchase another pair or something different.

15. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling

This^

16. JimB

JimB

ECCO makes a very fine shoe that will meet or exceed your requirements.

i wore them while working on cement for more than 25 years.

they are also waterproof.

JimB

17. Tfuzz13

Tfuzz13

+1