• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Beretta 92FS jamming almost every cycle

rujero

NES Member
EDIT: Hi everyone,

The issue has been resolved by thoroughly cleaning the pistol of its shipping oil and heavily lubricating the slide and other essential parts where there is significant friction. After reassembling I successfully shot the 115 grain ammo with out an issue. The magazines loosened up as I loaded them and I can now get all ten cartridges loaded in both.

I want to thank everyone for their input and advice. I learned a lot through this process and I am very happy I purchased the pistol. It's a great gun to shoot. I hope other people will benefit from this thread if they have the same issue.

-rujero

I recently purchased a brand new Beretta 92FS from Four Seasons and took it to the MRA to try it out. I was using Blazer Brass 115 grain 9mm Luger FMJ ammunition as it was recommended as a good affordable brand for the range. The salesman never mentioned needing to prep the pistol before it's first use, and I have only ever owned a S&W Snub 38, so I was too inexperienced with semi automatics to ask if there was any lubrication or prep work needed before I fired the gun for the first time. Therefore I shot it "out of the box" as it were.

To break in the 10 round magazines, I only loaded five rounds at a time. I shot 20 rounds before my first jam. A few rounds later every shot was jamming. The spent casing failed to eject and the slide was half open with a half seated fresh round. By pulling the slide back the round would eject and I could fire again. I tried loaded one round in each mag at a time and the pistol fired fine when there were no bullets trying to get into the chamber after the shot. So I started wondering if the magazine's are defective. Thinking maybe the springs weren't providing enough upward force I attempted to load 10 rounds into each mag, but could get no more than seven before I couldn't physically push another bullet in. Firing with seven sounds in the mag made no difference. The pistol still jammed on every shot. Total shots through this pistol so far? just under 40 rounds. Not wanting to damage something or be unsafe I packed it up for the night, clearly out of my league.

I am a humble person, especially when it comes to firearms, and I have a feeling I am making some kind of rookie mistake(s) here. I researched the forums a bit as well as online and youTube and with the exception of one person in a video online, everyone had nothing but amazing things to say about this pistol's reliability. So what am I doing wrong?

Bad ammo? I've always shot Blazer Brass in my revolver.
Should I have lubricated the gun before firing?
Are the magazines defective?
Does the gun just need to "break in" for a while?

Thank you for your thoughts and experience,
-r

Last edited:
It's likely the Blazer. There's another thread here with someone having a cycling issue with a M&P9 using Blazer too.

Buy some NATO 124gr and shoot a few mags. Also make sure the gun is lubed.

Is the recoil spring too stiff for the Blazer 115 gr ammo? Weak ammo?

This is a great question. I was wondering this when I contemplated whether the gun had to "break in" a little and maybe it would just take more firing to get the spring more pliable. But since I don't know much about what's typical grain for a 9mm round, I really couldn't say.

I have the pistol stored with the slide locked open right now, with a theory being it needs some compression. But I don't have much evidence to support this. If this is not healthy for the pistol someone please let me know.

-r

It's likely the Blazer. There's another thread here with someone having a cycling issue with a M&P9 using Blazer too.

I saw a guy struggle to make power factor with Blazer 115 gr ammo at the MA State IDPA championship match yesterday. He was using a G19. Granted it's a shorter barrel but I've heard it's far from being "warm" ammo.

Thanks for the advice. I'll stop by the shop and pick up some more powerful ammunition and see if it makes a difference. As for lubing the gun, I'll do some research on that process and get some high quality lubricant.

-r

Thanks for the advice. I'll stop by the shop and pick up some more powerful ammunition and see if it makes a difference. As for lubing the gun, I'll do some research on that process and get some high quality lubricant.

-r

It did come with an owners manual didn't it?

i once fired a brand new 92 that had no lubrication and had similar issues. if the gun hasn't been cleaned, just give it a thorough cleaning with some light lubrication particularly around the locking block and the slide rails. also as mentioned above get some hotter ammo than blazer 115 at least just for the first 100 rounds. that should have it running fine. i highly doubt there is anything actually wrong with your 92 but if the above do not fix the issue then i would either go back to FS with it or (personally) would just call beretta.

if you're in the market for lube, well you could go driving around to gun shops but personally my time is too valuable so i order this types of crap online. i use ballistol to clean everything, slp2000 EWL for lubricants except on areas of really heavy wear or rifles I will use millcomm TW-25b. for a 92fs i would clean them with ballistol then use the slp2000 on important spots as per above. there are many good products out there and people tend to act religious about their favorites. personally i use the above because they work great for me and i prefer not to expose myself to toxic chemicals. i agree w everyone that frog lube works about as well as cat shit.

Last edited:
I have the pistol stored with the slide locked open right now, with a theory being it needs some compression. But I don't have much evidence to support this. If this is not healthy for the pistol someone please let me know.

-r
I understand you stated priviously that you're new to semi-autos but man is this just generally bad reasoning. Firstly, because it's not going to make much difference compressing the spring only once and leaving it (springs get weaker over time with use, not better), and secondly I agree with others where it's likely bad ammo more than anything.
If you're going to buy lube and proper cleaning materials, do yourself a favor and go to Northeast Arms at 108 Newbury st in Peabody (RT. 1 south) and go say hi to Steve for me. Don't go to Four Seasons and let them sell you Frog Lube...

Like others have mentioned. Recommend simple field strip, inspect wear surfaces for any obvious wear patterns (burrs, etc), and clean. Lube rails, guide rod, locking block, and extractor. Reassemble and hand cycle the slide to make sure it's operating freely. Once cleaned and lubed, I'd try with the blazer again before changing ammo. I wouldn't want to make 2 changes and then wonder which one "fixed" it.

If you're going to buy lube and proper cleaning materials, do yourself a favor and go to Northeast Arms at 108 Newbury st in Peabody (RT. 1 south) and go say hi to Steve for me. Don't go to Four Seasons and let them sell you Frog Lube...

This for sure.

This is a great question. I was wondering this when I contemplated whether the gun had to "break in" a little and maybe it would just take more firing to get the spring more pliable. But since I don't know much about what's typical grain for a 9mm round, I really couldn't say.

-r

I can shoot anything through mine without a problem. Whenever you buy a new to you gun, new or used, Take it apart and clean it before you do any shooting with it. New guns are over oiled to keep them from getting rust while they are stored. Used guns you never know how they were taken care of.
Gun oil is gun oil. You don't need some special "high quality lubricant".
Your magazines don't need break in and neither does your gun. If every round is jamming after a proper cleaning your gun needs to be looked at.

Were you limp wristing the gun? That can cause the same problems.

i once fired a brand new 92 that had no lubrication and had similar issues. if the gun hasn't been cleaned, just give it a thorough cleaning with some light lubrication particularly around the locking block and the slide rails. also as mentioned above get some hotter ammo than blazer 115 at least just for the first 100 rounds. that should have it running fine. i highly doubt there is anything actually wrong with your 92 but if the above do not fix the issue then i would either go back to FS with it or (personally) would just call beretta.

if you're in the market for lube, well you could go driving around to gun shops but personally my time is too valuable so i order this types of crap online. i use ballistol to clean everything, slp2000 EWL for lubricants except on areas of really heavy wear or rifles I will use millcomm TW-25b. for a 92fs i would clean them with ballistol then use the slp2000 on important spots as per above. there are many good products out there and people tend to act religious about their favorites. personally i use the above because they work great for me and i prefer not to expose myself to toxic chemicals. i agree w everyone that frog lube works about as well as cat shit.

Thanks Squib! Lots of great info in your response. I appreciate you taking the time to share what works for you.

-r

- - - Updated - - -

Were you limp wristing the gun? That can cause the same problems.

This is something I had never even heard of before I started digging around the web and forums for trouble shooting. I honestly don't think I was, but I'll make a more conscious effort next time to keep an eye on such things. Thanks for your advice.

-r

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased a brand new Beretta 92FS from Four Seasons and took it to the MRA to try it out. I was using Blazer Brass 115 grain 9mm Luger FMJ ammunition as it was recommended as a good affordable brand for the range. The salesman never mentioned needing to prep the pistol before it's first use, and I have only ever owned a S&W Snub 38, so I was too inexperienced with semi automatics to ask if there was any lubrication or prep work needed before I fired the gun for the first time. Therefore I shot it "out of the box" as it were.

To break in the 10 round magazines, I only loaded five rounds at a time. I shot 20 rounds before my first jam. A few rounds later every shot was jamming. The spent casing failed to eject and the slide was half open with a half seated fresh round. By pulling the slide back the round would eject and I could fire again. I tried loaded one round in each mag at a time and the pistol fired fine when there were no bullets trying to get into the chamber after the shot. So I started wondering if the magazine's are defective. Thinking maybe the springs weren't providing enough upward force I attempted to load 10 rounds into each mag, but could get no more than seven before I couldn't physically push another bullet in. Firing with seven sounds in the mag made no difference. The pistol still jammed on every shot. Total shots through this pistol so far? just under 40 rounds. Not wanting to damage something or be unsafe I packed it up for the night, clearly out of my league.

I am a humble person, especially when it comes to firearms, and I have a feeling I am making some kind of rookie mistake(s) here. I researched the forums a bit as well as online and youTube and with the exception of one person in a video online, everyone had nothing but amazing things to say about this pistol's reliability. So what am I doing wrong?

Bad ammo? I've always shot Blazer Brass in my revolver.
Should I have lubricated the gun before firing?
Are the magazines defective?
Does the gun just need to "break in" for a while?

Thank you for your thoughts and experience,
-r

I have 2 92 fs pistols and never have had a feeding or failure to eject. If you like I could meet you at MRA with my 92s and some factory Winchester ammo 115 gr fmj and perhaps some of my reloads. I use Mobil 1 for lube btw

Like Andrew said , packing oil is not lube.
Break it down, scrub it down good, especialy the rails and channels.
Break down the mags and clean the springs followers and inside . Light lube all .
CLP has never failed me in any gun.

I bought a 92FS from 4 seasons 8 years ago. Never had a FTF or FTE after 7000+ rounds (with factory ammo, I did with some real low power reloads). In the owners manual they show you where to lube the gun, basically the slide rail on each side and a dot on each side of the block. Look for anywhere there is metal wear and hit it with a dot of lube (don't over do it just a dab).
Nice easy gun to field strip, get familiar with it, find the ammo that runs through it the best and you'll never have an issue with it.

IIRC mine was pretty dirty when I cleaned it with machining grime and cosmoline. Clean it with Hoppes #9 and put some gun oil on the slide rails where they meet. Get a Upula magazine loader and cram those things full!

I have 2 92 fs pistols and never have had a feeding or failure to eject. If you like I could meet you at MRA with my 92s and some factory Winchester ammo 115 gr fmj and perhaps some of my reloads. I use Mobil 1 for lube btw

Hi Highlander. I would like that very much. I'll send you a PM.

-r

Ammo,lube,magazine,and yes even a new gun could have issues.I am thinking more towards the ammo,or since you have only used revolvers it could be limp wristing.

IIRC mine was pretty dirty when I cleaned it with machining grime and cosmoline. Clean it with Hoppes #9 and put some gun oil on the slide rails where they meet. Get a Upula magazine loader and cram those things full!

Can you recommend a lubricating oil? I already have Hoppes #9 for cleaning purposes and just ordered the mag loader. Thanks for the suggestion!

I use Rem oil or Hoppes oil, but any gun oil is fine. So, you cleaned the gun, so go fire the Blazer again. I don't believe it is the ammo. I used Blazer in 3 different new guns and never a problem. Are you limp wristing as someone mentioned? Possibility but with the low recoil of a 92, I doubt it. I'd return the gun to FS and get another one. Don't believe guns cannot be returned, they can.

A 92FS jamming, even on Blazer ammo? Something certainly doesn't sound right. 9mm or not, the Beretta is designed to be a reliable gun. 10k+ rounds through mine and it's never jammed...even when I ran Blazer through it.

Clean and lube, make sure you're not limp-wristing it, and if it jams again take it back and ask the shop to look at it.

You should also build up your thumb meat and get to where you can load 10 rounds into the mag.

You should also build up your thumb meat and get to where you can load 10 rounds into the mag.
Still bugs the shit out of me how 10 round mags fight so hard on the last round where the 15s and up load effortlessly. UGH!

As for lubricant, slip2000 ewl is awesome stuff. It's more grease than oil but it stays in place very well and doesn't leak out of your gun getting all over your hands and case. Put it on a little heavy on all the contact points of the slide and frame and it'll be smooth as butter/silk/whatever material comes to mind, and wipe off the excess.

If it is one of the recent 92FS from Italy, good chance it had Beretta's very sticky shipping preservative.. I always break down a new gun and clean it before first use. You should not need anything fancy, Simple CLP is what I use, that should get off the sticky stuff, and clean the mags inside and out, the brown stuff that will come off them is not rust, it is the preservative. Blazer should work fine on a clean oiled 92FS.

If that does not work I would not mess with it call Beretta and ship it back for repairs...1-800-237-3882

Last edited:
If it is one of the recent 92FS from Italy, good chance it had Beretta's very sticky shipping preservative.. I always break down a new gun and clean it before first use. You should not need anything fancy, Simple CLP is what I use, that should get off the sticky stuff, and clean the mags inside and out, the brown stuff that will come off them is not rust, it is the preservative. Blazer should work fine on a clean oiled 92FS.

If that does not work I would not mess with it call Beretta and ship it back for repairs...1-800-237-3882

Very interesting thought... it is Italian made. Thanks for the advice. This may be contributing to the problem.

-r

You should also notice after cleaning and oiling the inside of the 10 rnd mags they do get easier to load.. I soak all my new mags down with break free CLP, scrub the inner surface of the mag body with a toothbrush and then pull a lightly oiled cleaning rag through the mag , I also wipe the surface of the spring with CLP and a patch..

if the spring is functional then the magazine is fine and it needs no CLP, scrubbing or lubrication.

Back
Top Bottom