• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New AR upper receiver defective ?

This is a first for me, tried to assemble my new upper and found my Colt bolt charging handle drops in the tab slot but will not move forward or to the rear, or won't ride in the slot. Not sure if it's the cerakoate or a defective machining on the upper ?

I put another previously purchased upper from Yankee Machine and it assembles fine. Grrrrrrr

I sent the company 'Always Armed' an e-mail this morning describing the problem, as you can't call direct. No answer yet. And the item is listed as out of stock....

Check the bump on the top front of the charging handle. I had one that was just a smidge too tall. I fixed it with a flat file.

Most strange: I swapped bolt charging handles with my old 'Bushy' and it dropped right in and slid forward. Interesting problem

Who made the upper receiver.......what forging mark is on it?

Most strange: I swapped bolt charging handles with my old 'Bushy' and it dropped right in and slid forward. Interesting problem

Right, it’s the button on the charging handle.

I had this problem with an AR PCC. File the button a bit and your father’s brother’s name is Robert.

Marking Aa....bought on the Always Armed website.

Only a few forging houses are making the raw part. Here's an example of what @Uzi2 was posting about:

mark.jpg

Here are some marks and their respective companies:

A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
AF = Alcoa Forge
C AF = Colt Alco Forge
C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass
Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge
CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum
Circle/Crosshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite
CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
CM = Colt / Martin Marietta
D (stylized) = Diemaco