New AR Suggestions

If you were buying a new AR (no AWB restriction) what would you go with?

• Daniel Defense

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Knight's Armament

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • LMT

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Bravo Company

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Noveske

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • H&K

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Barrett

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Battle Arms Development

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LWRC

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • LaRue

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
I haven't been keeping track of top tier makers but I don't think you could go wrong with anyone of those listed.

A better way to word it might be, out of this list what do you prefer?

It comes down to features, quality, price otherwise and we could go around and around on "the best" AR. Lots of them on this list are great rifles that I couldn't justify spending the $$ on because I feel they aren't any better than what I build for less.

A better way to word it might be, out of this list what do you prefer?

It comes down to features, quality, price otherwise and we could go around and around on "the best" AR. Lots of them on this list are great rifles that I couldn't justify spending the $$ on because I feel they aren't any better than what I build for less.

I'm helping someone else spend their money, so cost isn't a big concern. He just wants something nice. I have had Colt's and LWRC AR's, but haven't handled / shot any of the other ones on the list. Want to see what the NES brain trust thinks, so I can narrow down his options.

Don't have an opinion on BAD or Barrett AR15s, but beyond that. Is there really a wrong answer? Really about finding what you like from each of the groups and going from there. Coming from somebody who has BCM, LWRC (had), DD, LMT (have sold almost 2 dozen MARS-L lowers in the last month), KAC, & HK. Love some of the ambidextrous work you are seeing from some of these brands. Edit: to add a ambi photo below of one of the LMTs.

Attachments

• 95229853_270022420829409_7206004607770689536_n.jpg
    95229853_270022420829409_7206004607770689536_n.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
Out of those, probably Knights, LMT or BCM. But I’m not just huge on LMT’s proprietary barrels.

May I recommend instead, Triarc. Bombproof, slim, and not too heavy handguards, combined with very precise and high velocity barrels.

Since you’re able to do AR pistols, may I recommend a mid-length 12.5“. Sub-MOA and can do 2600 FPS averages with Black Hills 77TMK. Very close to normal 14.5” velocities.

79FC2A4B-F8E4-4B2D-BD88-FD887C614B1A.jpeg

Maybe KAC or LMT lower with Triarc upper.

Last edited:
m110_1.jpg

About a year ago i handled a few KAC products at a friends house. The SR15 was felt so much different than the other common ARs i couldnt believe it. His SR25 was incredible. Both solid and heavy in the best way possible. If money was no object and i could only have one rifle it would be a KAC.

Off topic: he then busted the Polytech Legend, FN FAL, FNC, and several other goodies out of the safe. I envy this friends life.

I never understood the obsession with special lowers, unless they had some design you wanted. Mil-spec is mil-spec. They're all the f***ing same to me.
Despite the jUsT aS gOoD mantra that follows around some lower end brands i tend to agree. Most lowers are probably good to go for most purposes, but there is something special in my experience about a complete rifle from a bougie manufacturer.

I like the ambi features of the bolt release on the sr25, and mega arms lowers for the AR10.

I prefer it to the magpul bad lever
I'm looking forward to the day we can get poverty ponies already set up for ambi controls. At this point I find it hard to believe the markets not there.

I never understood the obsession with special lowers, unless they had some design you wanted. Mil-spec is mil-spec. They're all the f***ing same to me.

Generally. Except the nicer brands generally have better finishes and more care in their final machining. And many aren’t actually mil-spec anymore. They may have features or improvements that are not part of military procurement specifications.

I'm looking forward to the day we can get poverty ponies already set up for ambi controls. At this point I find it hard to believe the markets not there.

I actually avoid ambi controls on ARs, because I handle enough ARs/M4s/M16s without ambi safeties (and cannot change them) that I don’t want to get into habits that don’t translate. But I realize I’m probably in the minority.

I actually avoid ambi controls on ARs, because I handle enough ARs/M4s/M16s without ambi safeties (and cannot change them) that I don’t want to get into habits that don’t translate. But I realize I’m probably in the minority.
That makes perfect sense. If I were in that position I'm sure I'd make the same decision.

As a lifelong civilian, my armory is my bedroom, so I only need to maintain interoperability with my own gear. In theory, I'd love to make all my rifles ambidextrous, just so it's a little easier to teach new shooters. For now, I'll work with what I've got - the standard configurations and dreams.

Perhaps ironically, I care less about ambi controls on pistols, maybe I'm wrong for that?

Back
Top Bottom