• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New AR: Help with scope mount, bipod choices?

I've built another AR. Full length, free-floated YHM upper with rails. I'm looking for a sturdy but not fancy bipod that I can attach straight to the rails, and something that will let me quickly detach a scope so I can use irons. I'm probably going to go with Magpul MBUS backup sights. Down the road, I'll probably get a mid-level "tactical" style magnified optic like the Millett DMS-1 or something similar.

Any ideas?

Can't comment on the bipod (does Harris make one?), but for the optics I would have to say A.R.M.S. or LaRue. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. I can't vouch for them personally, but I know several folks that can.

On that same line, can anyone recommend a QD/HZ carry handle with iron sights built in? If not, how about a QD/HZ rear iron sight that will not get bent/knocked off zero if bumped or detached? I like the ones in the carry handle, as I don't trust exposed ones to stand up to abuse.

I would recommend ADM scout mount. Less expensive than Larue and works great.
As for bipods, Harris 6-9 in any (YHM,ARMS,Larue) quick detach mount.

I have a cantilever QD Aimpoint mount from ARMS that works great. As far as bipods go, I would go with a Harris. I have been using the same one for about 10 years now and it has worked exactly as advertised.

Yeah, I have a 6-9" Harris (the cheap, non-swiveling model) on my PSS.

Does anyone think that using one of the MI 1913-to-sling swivel adapters would be secure enough for a bipod?

Yeah, I have a 6-9" Harris (the cheap, non-swiveling model) on my PSS.

Does anyone think that using one of the MI 1913-to-sling swivel adapters would be secure enough for a bipod?

It works for me and I shoot heap-big boom-boom....

SANY0201.jpg

SANY0211.jpg

That's enough proof for me [grin]

I had a random POS Bushnell scope lying around, so I mounted it and took the rifle out for some basic testing... Anyone have any experience with this model? It's just been lying around the house after I pulled it off a rifle I bought used and forgot about it until now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A0AFN/ref=s9_simx_gw_s1_p200_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1S5AR6YVH2379A93BTVH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846. Seems to work fine at least as a stop-gap.

Rifle shoots great... with a bipod, a larger grip, and maybe an RRA 2-stage this could be a very nice rifle.

Last edited:
Bushnell Elite makes a nice scope. it seems just about every one of the budget scope makers has some nice top-end. On a .223 platform, that scope in a LaRue SPR may be all you'll ever need. BTW, the Harris mount on my Troy MCS is not a LaRue. It's a cheap fixed mount I bought from DSA. Works like a charm....

Hmm, maybe I'll just stick with this scope for the time being then... that'll let me save up the $200 (!!!) that that LaRue costs... It did seem to perform pretty well.

I went to the range yesterday and my wife came shooting for the first time ever with me. I have 2 cheap bipods that I bought with me. One very short one and one taller one. The only problem that I had was the taller one (9”-11”) was too tall. The range has a board mounted in front of you that you have to shoot under to minimize wild shots. With the taller bipod all I could see in the scope was the board. Just something to keep in mind.

I need to find a better place to shoot.

I'm looking at the LaRue versus the Burris PEPR mount which seems to have gotten some decent reviews. The main difference seems to be that the LaRue has QD capability. I want to mount a Magpul MBUS or maybe another set of MIs on this rifle at some point, so I'm assuming the LaRue would be the better overall choice (not that it wasn't initially, but it's frickin' expensive!)

I'm looking at the LaRue versus the Burris PEPR mount which seems to have gotten some decent reviews. The main difference seems to be that the LaRue has QD capability. I want to mount a Magpul MBUS or maybe another set of MIs on this rifle at some point, so I'm assuming the LaRue would be the better overall choice (not that it wasn't initially, but it's frickin' expensive!)

The Burris is a nice unit - the LaRue is nicer...Side by side you will notice a difference. Something to be said for unlocking your mount, playing with irons, then going back to a zeroed scope...Send your money to Mark LaRue in Texas...You know you want to...[wink]

Back
Top Bottom