New AR Build...Initial Question ***Updated with pictures***

Hi All,

I am getting ready to start my 1st AR build. I have few parts on the way already, but I have 1 initial question.

I plan on building a 16" carbine, however I will be using a fixed stock. I have planned to use a Vltor rifle stock with a standard rifle extension tube. Are there any problems with the combination of the short, carbine length gas system and the standard rifle buffer?

Pics and details of the build to follow!

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would ask my question here. I"m working on my NES lower. Trying to make a nice selection for the stock. My son and I are planning on going with a 20" barrel and magnifying optics. More of a sniper type rifle than CQ.
Anyone have any recommendations for a stock? Most of the stocks I see and like are adjustable. Can I pin those on my own?

So I have received the 1st few components for my upcoming AR build:

First is the lower receiver: I went with one from Spikes Tactical. Partly because the price was quite good and partly because I liked the bullet-style selector markings.

P1010008.jpg

Other things that I have received so far are the CMT rifle buffer assembly and tube, Magpul MOE grip and the Vltor A1 Rifle Stock.

P1010009.jpg

I am waiting on the delivery of my upper assembly. I went with a 16" mid length from Bravo Company USA. It is currently at the gunsmith having the bayonet lug removed and having the comp pinned/welded. I decided to go with the YHM 5M2 muzzle break.
I am also waiting on my LPK. I decided to go with a RRA.

I am still undecided on a few things:

Rear BUIS: I think I am leaning toward the Troy. I can't decide if I want to go black to match the gun, or FDE to match the furniture.
Optic: Jury is still out on Aimpoint vs. Eotech. Any input here is appreciated.

I will update as I progress with more pictures and details.

Steve

You ARE going to love your BCM

Also, what are you planning to do with with the rifle. If you go Eotech I'd go with the newer XPS models or the Aimpoint H-1

Thanks for the good feedback Skald. Everything I've read about the BCM uppers has been stellar. I can't wait to find out 1st hand.

I plan on using this as a utility carbine: mostly range time, and I would like to take a carbine course someday too...

Do you have an H-1?

Steve

Not yet, but going to put an H-1 on the 10.5" LMT when I can.

You go with a carbine length gas system or the mid-length?

Middy....
I had initially planned on carbine. However, as I did more reading, it seemed that the mid-length had all positives over a carbine.

Upper should be here any day now...

Steve

You will love the Middy.

Also, if you can find it, Brown Bear runs fine in the upper (its pretty cheap).
What BCG did you get, a BCM as well?

As far as a BUIS, check out the Magpul BUIS. Lightweight, cheap and its pretty nice. Got 2 of them for my rifles.

You will love the Middy.

Also, if you can find it, Brown Bear runs fine in the upper (its pretty cheap).
What BCG did you get, a BCM as well?

As far as a BUIS, check out the Magpul BUIS. Lightweight, cheap and its pretty nice. Got 2 of them for my rifles.

Yep, BCM BCG and CH....they have the whole shebang on sale for $570...which I thought was a pretty good price given the quality.

I was considering the MBUS, but they appear to be tough to get at the moment...I believe Magpul is having some legal squabbles with ARMS over the design. I am not positive, but I bet that has something to do with the availability.

Steve

They are, but if you want I can get you a FDE or OD MBUIS. Local shop has some in stock.

Did you get the regular CH or their Gunfighter? My new Gunfighter Mod3 Ch should be here today and can't wait to put it in. You are def. good to go as far as the BCG goes, Paul makes some great stuff.

You decide on the rails?

I went with the regular CH for now. Maybe at somepoint I will check out the Gunfighter. Seems like initial reviews are pretty good.
I will probably put DD Omega rails on it at some point. I got a set of std. handguards for the initial buildup.

I went with the regular CH for now. Maybe at somepoint I will check out the Gunfighter. Seems like initial reviews are pretty good.
I will probably put DD Omega rails on it at some point. I got a set of std. handguards for the initial buildup.

You may want to check out the Troy MRF-DI, I got a set for mine and they are pretty solid feeling on the upper.

My NES lower is officially complete.
Got an unbelievable deal on a Stag 6 position stock assembly at Riley's over the weekend. I drilled and pinned it last night.
Now I have to get going on the upper.

Upper and LPK Arrived last week.
I finally got the thing put together on Friday.
Here are a few pictures. The carry handle is from another rifle that I swapped out to test fire the gun.
I plan on adding a Troy BUIS and probably an aimpoint as the budget allows.

Here are some additional pics:
P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010001.jpg

Hopefully at some point I can get setup to take some nice pictures.

Back
Top Bottom