New AR-15s give Maine State Police needed firepower

The assault weapons, approved by the Legislature, replace 9 mm rifles that nobody believed in.

The Legislature approved the purchase of the AR-15 assault rifles, manufactured by Bushmaster at the company's plant in Windham. The new weapons cost a total of $76,191.

Why the need for greater firepower? Mike Edes, president of the Maine State Troopers Association, said "almost nobody" in the department has confidence in their Ruger carbine rifles, the 9 mm weapons that the AR-15s are replacing.

READ MORE

It's funny: the State PD has 9mm carbines, but my county has M14's in Deputies' trunks.

They got the AR's for $725 per. Probably at about dealer cost.

This article is out of control. Talk about scaring the sheep. Meth heads with body armor, arsenals and super powers. And you have to love how after all of that, his best example of why they need ARs is a drunk guy with a shotgun who was successfully put down with a handgun. [laugh]

This article is out of control. Talk about scaring the sheep. Meth heads with body armor, arsenals and super powers. And you have to love how after all of that, his best example of why they need ARs is a drunk guy with a shotgun who was successfully put down with a handgun. [laugh]

To be fair, while tweeking, meth-heads probably do believe they have super powers.

THe bushmasters are not bad, nothing that 5 minutes with a Moabs tool cant fix. We have 11 in service and have had few issues. On every gun before going in service I restake the gas key bolts, Re stake the Castle nut on the carbines, add the proper Black, or More recently Gold extractor spring insert, install a proper 5 coil extractor spring and replace the front sight on the flat tops with a front sight from a colt M-4. under & 50 in parts and about 10 minutes work. On a Semi auto gun thats seeing light- moderate round counts the Bushamsters are fine. On Occassion I have herd some need to have the chambers reemed . If I was shooting High round counts or fully automatic or 3 round burst I would want a Colt. The Colts definetly are built to a higher standard, as they are Held to the MIlitarys Technical Data Pak as far as quality standards. My personal Guns are Colts, but the Bushmasters are not bad for the money and superior to having nothing at all.

Last edited:
I thought when the police have them they are patrol rifles? They are only assault weapons when us average folk have them.

There's definitely a lack of technical advising for this article...they switch from being "assault weapons" to "assault rifles", and then the dreaded "semi-automatic".

Back
Top Bottom