new air rifle-

this particular gun seems good without using the scope-- so i think an adjustment should get it right where i need it to be--

hey- thanks for the hints, too!

Don't know the dynamics but I find it impossible to shoot a tight group from a bench rest with my Gamo Shadow. I shoot tighter groups offhand.

Hi Guys,

I've been a "serious" airgunner for about 15 years now...the only thing that makes me "serious" is the fact I've spent way too much money on these things [rofl]

I am a terror to all the chipmunks and squirrels that would make my shed their home. One thing to note is that few airguns fire at the claimed velocities, which is a good thing. Once you approach the speed of sound, accuracy drops off significantly.

Here's some pics,

Beeman R9 in .177 cal. It's my "at the ready" air rifle

R9front.jpg

Beeman RX in 22 cal. Very powerful (for a barrel-break air rifle) This thing is a scope buster!

RXside.jpg

Weirauch HW97 in 177 cal, which now carries an older Beeman scope

HW97khighring.jpg

Yes, for what it is, it's fine. I prefer either Gamos or RWS Dianas for out and about pellet guns. Only bummer is no iron sights on yours. Used to be the combos came with both. Not sure how effective a laser is on a pellet gun or a fluted barell. A side or under lever is better than a break barrel but that's not the question. Since the little pba (5 grain) pellets came out, Gamo has been stating 1-2 hundred FPS more than using regular pellets (7-8 grain). I use 10.5 grain in mine. I'm one of the subscribers to the adverse effects of going to fast with a light projectile. Vibrations and all that. Mine is set to hit golfballs at 200 ft. You need to aim low closer and high after.

update:

it groups well--and it is all dialed in---

i blew the target up pretty good and broke many clays after :D

overall-- i am very satisfied

[grin]

Last edited:
usually propped. However, when I refer to bad groups, It's on a bench rest (THANKS ramx50!). I'm not gripping it at all.

That takes out part of the problem. Now loosen up your grip/pull back on the pistol grip of the stock alittle. You should by now feel how the rifle recoils - this will be the starting point. Too tight of a grip and too tight in the shoulder and the rifle throws it wrong to the point of aim. Too loose and your point of aim will change as the rifle recoils with no control. You want just enough grip and pull back to let it do its thing but to your POI, not its. Again, I'm having the same trouble with my break barrels.

My collection ( no pictures, sorry. ) :

1) IZH-46M 10M air pistol

2) Webley Hurricane pistol in .22

3) 3 RWS 45's - warm spot as the first real adult airgun I fired.
A) 20th Commemorative version that is an RWS 34 in 45 wood.
B) Rasttat commemorative missing it's buttstock medallion
C) Origianal dated 04 88 - April, 1988. NOS from Collectors Coin.

4) Weinrauch HW-50S in .22

5) Anschutz LG250 - the prize in the group as it's an old 10M rifle that still shoots very well but needed some work to replace the worn out parts and leaks.

Next perchase will be either an HW-97 or a TX200 Mk3. I'm thinking of playing around with the field target game and these are good for the spring class.

Joe R.

shooting a rat with it?

just a hypothetical question are these legal to shoot in our back yards? can "we" get into trouble if an animal lover witnessed or video taped someone shooting a rat with it? -just curious what the regulations are with air rifles
RATS are People Too.

Activists for the little know RAPT Group have filed a petition in Massachusetts’s legislature to prohibit the wanton and needless extermination of these furry little creatures of god.

Although Rats have had the alleged reputation through the years as being the harbingers of death by transporting filthy desease ridden parasites and causing millions of people to die from the plague the supporter of RAPT say it just ain’t so. RAPT Spokeswomen William-Shatter has told the press. All we are saying is give Rats a Chance.

Rev Al Sharpone agrees and has decided to sponsor the bill and sue anyone who opposes the bill as he believes that we all have an inner Rat just waiting to be exploited.

Rev Al asks “What would Jesus Do” and lets save the Rats for the Children Besides RATS eat dead things and

Eating Dead Things Is Scary!

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=elvira-holloween-psa&Player=wm

"Mine is set to hit golfballs at 200 ft."

but dont the Duffers get mad when you knock it off the Tee

I am thinking of putting together an AIR Rifle Woods walk up at the gun glub. Anyone interested?

Have to come up with some reactive targets to put at locations in the woods to soot at as you walk the trails. Typical targets would be veggie can wind chimes. Weathervanes, Clay Targets, Ring the bell, Any other ideas?

Last edited:
That takes out part of the problem. Now loosen up your grip/pull back on the pistol grip of the stock alittle. You should by now feel how the rifle recoils - this will be the starting point. Too tight of a grip and too tight in the shoulder and the rifle throws it wrong to the point of aim. Too loose and your point of aim will change as the rifle recoils with no control. You want just enough grip and pull back to let it do its thing but to your POI, not its. Again, I'm having the same trouble with my break barrels.

Next perchase will be either an HW-97 or a TX200 Mk3. I'm thinking of playing around with the field target game and these are good for the spring class.

Joe R.

Good advice, Joe. Shooting an air rifle is different that a centerfire/rimfire rifle, but when you get it figured out, it will help with your "real gun" shooting [grin]

The TX200 is a sweet rifle for sure!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom