• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Addition

JonJ

NES Member
We just adopted a jack Russell. He's a year old and full of it!!! He's gonna be a handfull. Here's a pic of him and our Westie, Wesley who we adopted about 6 years ago.
The 2 are getting aquainted as I type this. I've only had to pull them apart a couple times, they're getting calmed down not.
Who's alpha at this point is still up in the air. As far as I'm concerned, I'm the alpha!
doggies.jpg

dwarven1 said:
JonJ said:
As far as I'm concerned, I'm the alpha!

Uh... have you explained this to the two puppies in question? [lol]

I've been married 20 something years, 3 kids, now 2 dogs. Do you think anyone but me knows/thinks I'm the alpha? [roll]

SiameseRat said:
congratulations!! what're their names?
The Westie is "Wesley" and the Jack Russell came with the name of "Mike". I kinda want to change the Russell's name to "Petey" the wife likes "Sid" but when all is said and done, I think he'll stay "Mike".

Thanks everyone!
We had our first big fight between them. They had to be broken up! It was total mayhem. Len knows, I was on the phone with him when it happened. It sounded worse than it was though.
Mike went into time out in his kennel for a bit and we let him back out after about 15 mins. I think a slow introduction may be in order.
This is Wes's territory and Mike is gonna have to learn that!

When we first got Tyoson (puppy boxer) Gabby(4 y/o cocker) hated him. She barked all the time at him and stuff like that. Know Tyson is about 35 lbs more then Gabby and they get along great. I'll have to see if I can find the link bnut I found a website that had a great step by step introduction for dogs.

Cute dogs. Good luck with the Jack Russell. Hope you have lots of energy,because they sure do. As far as who's Alpha let him know early on you are. My little black and tan cocker at times wants to think she's Alpha. Doesn't work. Before you know it they'll be best buds. Always an adjustment period for all.

Jacks are know for having that "Napoleon" complex thing. It'll take a little while, but they'll wind up buds. Just as long as you remain Alpha in their eyes, things will start to get better.

Lynne said:
Jacks are know for having that "Napoleon" complex thing. It'll take a little while, but they'll wind up buds. Just as long as you remain Alpha in their eyes, things will start to get better.

Thanks for the tips and support everyone. It's going to be a trying time for all involved! I'm sure after some time it'll all sort out.
My wife took the Jack to work today and kept him with her at the office. He beahved pretty well but she found that he can be a little nippy. I think that will stop after a little hard training in that department.
When she got home from work with him, she and my daughter played with them both and they seem better. We'll see how the night progresses.
We kept the Jack in a crate for night, that he did not like but he's going to have to get used to it until we know that they can get along together.

Back
Top Bottom