New Acquisitions March 2020 - Firearms Only!

Is there a big difference between the service grade and special?

Specials have new wood and new barrels installed and I believe refinished as well. Service grade is going to have a GI barrel and perhaps GI wood and not typically refinished. Specials should be very good shooters but pretty much no collectability value.

Is there a big difference between the service grade and special?
I have one of each.
Special: CMP wood, new Criterion Match barrel, everything is refinished. Very tight. It's like a "new gun."
Service Grade: USGI wood, original finish, 1940s barrel. What you would expect from a "milsurp."

It depends on if you're looking for something to do precision/matches with, or for the history. If I could pick one, I'd choose my Service Grade, as it feels much more authentic. This is not to say my Service Grade can't shoot--it's plenty accurate. But if you're one of the types that might not like their rifle to shoot 2-3 MOA, have some wear/character marks, then maybe get the special.

Or, if you're one of the types that tries to "improve" milsurps by refinishing them or swapping parts and stuff, just get the special.

I have one of each.
Special: CMP wood, new Criterion Match barrel, everything is refinished. Very tight. It's like a "new gun."
Service Grade: USGI wood, original finish, 1940s barrel. What you would expect from a "milsurp."

It depends on if you're looking for something to do precision/matches with, or for the history. If I could pick one, I'd choose my Service Grade, as it feels much more authentic. This is not to say my Service Grade can't shoot--it's plenty accurate. But if you're one of the types that might not like their rifle to shoot 2-3 MOA, have some wear/character marks, then maybe get the special.

Or, if you're one of the types that tries to "improve" milsurps by refinishing them or swapping parts and stuff, just get the special.
Awesome, thanks for the reply.... Think I'm gonna have to get them both 🤣🤣😷😷

This at last weekends gun show. I know I paid too much but it seems their a little hard to find.
View attachment 338119

Congrats! Nice little gun. I bought one of those at the gun show myself two or three years ago. In case it's of any interest, this was a quick, cheap mod that I made to mine that I really like. It's a mag extension that converts standard, full size, easy-to-find 92 mags to fit the compacts, and at the same time, giving you a little more real estate to grab onto:

full

This is where you can find them: X-Grip Mag Adapter Beretta 92 Full Size Mag to fit Beretta 92 Compact

Enjoy!

Frank

Congrats! Nice little gun. I bought one of those at the gun show myself two or three years ago. In case it's of any interest, this was a quick, cheap mod that I made to mine that I really like. It's a mag extension that converts standard, full size, easy-to-find 92 mags to fit the compacts, and at the same time, giving you a little more real estate to grab onto:

full

This is where you can find them: X-Grip Mag Adapter Beretta 92 Full Size Mag to fit Beretta 92 Compact

Enjoy!

Frank
I'm looking to do that. I see a 20 round by mec car magazines but don't think it's legal. Rear sights need to go to.

Ok, so I'm very glad to have this in my hands.

This is a DSA forged SA58 R1-clone upper with faux sanitation cut. These were part of a very small production batch this past January of about thirty to forty total forged receivers; some were G1 clones, some were Israeli clones, and most like mine were South African R1 clones. I believe mine is no. 8 judging from the serial number.

I ordered mine with a faux sanitation mark on the magazine well, which is the circle. On actual R1s, this circular cut was intended to remove the South African crest from R1s exported to Rhodesia. South Africa had a policy of clandestinely arming and supporting Rhodesia while Rhodesia was under international embargo. For more information, I suggest reading Ian Douglas Smith's the Great Betrayal and watching Larry Vicker's (Vickers Tactical) and Ian McCollum's (Forgotten Weapons) videos on Vicker's Rhodesian clone.

This is going to be built into a Rhodesian/South African Para clone. Folding stock. Thinking a South African-proofed 21" or 18" barrel (18" ideally, but I want a real South African one). Appropriate Para sights. Rhodesian paint job. Not sure who to farm the build out to yet. Stay tuned.

20200323_170113.jpg
Inked20200323_170125_LI.jpg
20200323_170131.jpg
20200323_170145.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To follow up after that hand cannon, I give you the opposite end of the spectrum. I picked up a used Seecamp .32, Milford CT manufacture, after the switch from 17-4 to 415 stainless was made. It’s a bit rough cosmetically, but the price was right. Opposite side has some pitting. Internals weren’t bad.

8EA5EA2D-5500-4401-93AF-3BCC5FD7E437.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing crazy, but I thought for my first rifle I’d get something fun and inexpensive that enjoys eating cheap steel ammo all day long.

Havn’t shot it yet but appears to be in very good condition. Bought it off a collector who had several that he bought many years ago, cleaned up and then kept in his safe indefinitely. He wasn’t sure he ever even shot this one.

BA2CE796-D571-4FC7-BFE6-08475EB76EB4.jpeg

I think SKSs are so cool. Never owned or even shot one. Vastly underrated rifles.
-low cost semi auto that shoots a fantastic cartridge
-milled receiver
-tilting bolt (some people argue this is inferior, but I think it's fine)
-longer barrel than AK
-some similar parts to AK (sights, magwell, etc.)
-aftermarket stocks to convert to pistol grip if desired

New projects for the next year or so. I picked both of these up from great forum members. Not pictured is another stripped Bushmaster lower that I have no clue what to do with.

The Aero Precision is in the process of being SBR’d, so I’m taking my time to start the lower. The Glock frame is a Gen3 G20SF that I’m in no rush to do anything with, but couldn’t pass up based on price. I’m not going crazy with Lone Wolf or Agency or Zev parts on - it’s going to be one of my hiking/camping guns.

07F2A855-92BA-4F87-BD1E-5B7E25936D92.jpeg

I got some ammo too, but we all know what 9mm looks like.

Nothing crazy, but I thought for my first rifle I’d get something fun and inexpensive that enjoys eating cheap steel ammo all day long.

Havn’t shot it yet but appears to be in very good condition. Bought it off a collector who had several that he bought many years ago, cleaned up and then kept in his safe indefinitely. He wasn’t sure he ever even shot this one.

View attachment 342120
Nice! Looks like a Norinco? A norinco SKS was my first rifle as well. Haven’t shot it in years.

Back
Top Bottom