New Acquisitions - March 2016

One of two March fundage outlays: this one is a J. Stevens, Model 14 1/2, "Little Scout"

I've been looking for a fair-priced Remington Model 6, the rifle I had as a kid (.22 single shot, falling block) 50 years ago, but most I see are in so-so to poor shape, or just overpriced.

J. Stevens Arms produced an almost identical version during the same period (1900's to 1930's). I saw this at a LGS I stop-in to now and then, and whomever had it had started a very good resto on it. I know (fairly sure) its pre-1916, as when Savage bought Stevens in 1916 they started adding an "SVG" roll mark on the frame, which this does not have.

Excellent minor stock repairs, frame cleaning, guts look nicely oiled and a very good extractor (often seen broken on these). The firing pin is worn but looks OK, and that may be the only real part to track down just for the fun of it. The bore is OK, with fair rifling with some scouring too, but still shootable. The stock and forearm still needs a touch or true-oil or something to give a varnish cover, but for what I paid, I am real happy. I hold it and think of plinking on the farm some 50 years ago. My wife now calls it the "Little Bada Boom"....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom