• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Acquisitions January 2016

This has been on my bucket list for a while. Not sure why, but it was something I had to have. A S&W 686-6 plus w/ 2.5" bbl. Dumped the ugly rubber grips for a nice set of S&W wood combat grips. Much better that way.

IMG_0413_zpsprpgmhgw.jpg

This has been on my bucket list for a while. Not sure why, but it was something I had to have. A S&W 686-6 plus w/ 2.5" bbl. Dumped the ugly rubber grips for a nice set of S&W wood combat grips. Much better that way.

IMG_0413_zpsprpgmhgw.jpg

Nice! Really nice! I just bought one of those also and want to change out the grips. Snazzy wood!

I've been on the hunt for the Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 CM for a while now. I have to glass it up with a Leupold scope and get up to the farm in VT next weekend. I'm pleasantly surprised by the trigger and the overall quality of what is a pretty inexpensive rifle in its class. I need a good bipod too.

3c4cde3c405b4e7e57fd4ad46b331b4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on the hunt for the Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 CM for a while now. I have to glass it up with a Leupold scope and get up to the farm in VT next weekend. I'm pleasantly surprised by the trigger and the overall quality of what is a pretty inexpensive rifle in its class. I need a good bipod too.

3c4cde3c405b4e7e57fd4ad46b331b4b.jpg

Played with one of these at the Marlboro gun show. It was a 308 model and I was very surprised at how smooth the trigger pull on it was. Especially one right out of the box.

Finally found one of these in MA last weekend[smile]View attachment 157360

I have the P-O9. It's a nice gun to shoot but I don't love the trigger. I haven't found anybody who really wanted to work on it either. I haven't looked hard but the couple Of smiths I asked nicely turned the work down lol. Good gun for the money. Mine is urban grey which looks pretty cool.

Played with one of these at the Marlboro gun show. It was a 308 model and I was very surprised at how smooth the trigger pull on it was. Especially one right out of the box.

I think that was the one thing that surprised me the most. The take up on the trigger safety feels a little off but once you compress the safety it is a creep free release. I swear it can't be more than a 2 pound trigger.

Saw several at the show between 1350-1400. MFS sent out an email a couple of days ago listing 977 cash price. They are currently showing OOS though

Saw several at the show between 1350-1400. MFS sent out an email a couple of days ago listing 977 cash price. They are currently showing OOS though

I paid 1200 + tax at a shop near Philadelphia. It was the only one he had and the price was fair. I've been watching them on GB for two months and they have consistently sold for around 1400. The Cabelas in Delaware gets them in every once in a while but they go immediately. $977 is a great price but I bet they sold in an hour. I think the 7.62 x 51 is a little more available but for no good reason beyond the hype I wanted the 6.5CM.

I have the P-O9. It's a nice gun to shoot but I don't love the trigger. I haven't found anybody who really wanted to work on it either. I haven't looked hard but the couple Of smiths I asked nicely turned the work down lol. Good gun for the money. Mine is urban grey which looks pretty cool.

Ive only had a chance to put 30 rounds down the tube so haven't formed a solid opinion on the trigger yet. My initial impression was that over all I really liked it, although I feel like the slide release is a bit out of reach. "good gun for the money" yes, unbelievable gun for the money if you're fortunate enough to live in a free state. Unfortunately here in MA you're gonna spend about $650 for a used one.

Canik 9mm

good Gun for the $$
Range report when you shoot it Bruce

I got the new Canik 9mm pistol to the range on Friday afternoon. I only had about an hour to do some plinking but I ran about 75 rounds through the new pistol.

It's made in Turkey and imported by Century Arms. It comes with two (2) standard size 18 round magazines or two (2) ten round magazines depending on where you live. The magazines are made by MEC-GAR. They are very much like the Beretta 92 magazines and in fact the Beretta magazines (read preban 15 rounders) will fit the Canik but you'd have to modify the just a bit. I'm thinking there is a YouTube video around on this.

It's a "bigish" gun -- full size like a G17 I guess. You commando types will want to carry one on each hip. It has a loaded chamber indicator that the AG would like, a Glock style trigger safety and when the gun is cocked you can see the back of the firing pin (it's not actually the firing pin) in red.

So how did it shoot? I had one FTE (first magazine) and after that everything functioned well. The trigger is terrific --- better than the Glock, better than an HK VP9 and better than the new Sig P320. The trigger is CRISP with a real nice break -- no mush. White dot sights could be slightly larger for my eyes. Easy to use slide release (RH only) and a simple take down button.

My only complaint was the brass was ejecting directly back over my head and a few time on my head.

[thumbsup]

Attachments

• 2016-01-25 22.50.32_resized.jpg
    2016-01-25 22.50.32_resized.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I got the new Canik 9mm pistol to the range on Friday afternoon. I only had about an hour to do some plinking but I ran about 75 rounds through the new pistol.

It's made in Turkey and imported by Century Arms. It comes with two (2) standard size 18 round magazines or two (2) ten round magazines depending on where you live. The magazines are made by MEC-GAR. They are very much like the Beretta 92 magazines and in fact the Beretta magazines (read preban 15 rounders) will fit the Canik but you'd have to modify the just a bit. I'm thinking there is a YouTube video around on this.

It's a "bigish" gun -- full size like a G17 I guess. You commando types with want to carry one on each hip. It has a loaded chamber indicator that the AG would like, a Glock style trigger safety and when the gun is cocked you can see the back of the firing pin (maybe it's not actually the firing pin?) in red.

So how did it shoot? I had one FTE (first magazine) and after that everything functioned well. The trigger is terrific --- better than the Glock, better than an HK VP9 and better than the new Sig P320. The trigger is CRISP with a real nice break -- no mush. White dot sights that could be slightly larger for my eyes. Easy to use slide release (RH only) and a simple take down button.

My only complaint was the brass was ejecting directly back over my head and a few time on my head.

[thumbsup]

wow! better than the P320 and VP9 triggers? Gonna have to keep my eye out for one in MA. How much are they?

Ive only had a chance to put 30 rounds down the tube so haven't formed a solid opinion on the trigger yet. My initial impression was that over all I really liked it, although I feel like the slide release is a bit out of reach. "good gun for the money" yes, unbelievable gun for the money if you're fortunate enough to live in a free state. Unfortunately here in MA you're gonna spend about $650 for a used one.

I should say my only issue with the CZ PO-x omega trigger is the single action pull. Mine goes around 8 pounds, I think it's supposed to be 5 or 6. The reset is short and the double action pull is on the light side, 9 to 10 pounds. I shoot it a lot, reloading mags annoys the crap out of me and I like the 19 +1 on the 9. I should say 18+1 because I have never been able to get the 19th round in.

I should say my only issue with the CZ PO-x omega trigger is the single action pull. Mine goes around 8 pounds, I think it's supposed to be 5 or 6. The reset is short and the double action pull is on the light side, 9 to 10 pounds. I shoot it a lot, reloading mags annoys the crap out of me and I like the 19 +1 on the 9. I should say 18+1 because I have never been able to get the 19th round in.

19 rounds in a handgun[sad] whats that like?

I picked up my Arsenal Sam 7R at Northeast Arms today. I got it home and threw on a PR-01 quad rail. Can't wait to get it out!
805e2ee4fd2caf57da274f344e67c59d.jpg

Two new acquisitions - it was a good month. Joined the Ruger Precision club in 6.5 Creedmoor. .5 MOA at 200 yards, and I probably pick up a rifle 5-6 times / year.

6176f3a08da0ab2a3392d35bc72314a2.jpg

3a84f109260348878581975c65c5b2f3.jpg

Also, one of these;

d368fb7634dc86027cf6bd897989bee4.jpg

02551757927067a5746e7feb0184317a.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom