New Acquisitions December 2020 - Firearms only

Is that the AXG Scorpion grip module? I'm debating whether or not it's worth the $400 vs $35 for the XCompact.

I love it. I prefer the trigger on the x5 legion fcu but wanted a p226 grip. Perfect combo. Highly recommend and don’t mind the $ it’s a Sig.

I was a good boy for Christmas I guess. I just picked these up from a fellow forum member. I sort of picked them up. With concord background checks backed up it’s probably going to be New Year’s Eve before I spring them free

485B2ECD-86C2-49D3-AA09-F77F6CBAD32A.jpeg

Attachments

• 2CCB678E-C4C7-4464-8B44-5F73698EFB93.png
    2CCB678E-C4C7-4464-8B44-5F73698EFB93.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 8
  • EB02B187-A034-4810-A734-E68B1E5868FD.png
    EB02B187-A034-4810-A734-E68B1E5868FD.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 9
  • E9B36FF4-FBE9-41D6-814F-23FF2F01D181.png
    E9B36FF4-FBE9-41D6-814F-23FF2F01D181.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 9
Picked up a used 20ga 3" model New England Firearms Pardner. Barrel finish is a little worn but it's an older gun. The bore is clean and shiny, ( don't think it was shot much ) and it locks up tight with no wobble at all. $120 face to face in Kentucky.
Pics later, internet very slow right now.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
While I can't flex like you with the ptr version, I have the century arms version.
Its a ptr receiver and barrel if I remember correctly.
Its been a hella reliable and accurate shooter until I added the magpul pro stock.
So I'm kinda fiddling with it still.
Feed it steel, it loves it.
I compared the accuracy with match ammo, and there is not much difference.

Daaamn! Very nice! Those seem to be really popular. Someone was transferring one at the shop I picked up my TX22 at. Range report!

Ok then! First, quick backstory.
Yes, the HK clones seem to be popular as they’re, well, not an AR and affordable to use lay folk. I contemplated an AR10 build, but was drawn to the HK clone for some odd reason(s). I almost bought a C308 a year ago, but the welds were meh and it being a kit gun didn’t sit terribly well with me; I wanted a PTR. No, it’s not a kit gun. I’m a lefty and this manual of arms just suits me exceedingly well (sorry, Ian from In Range disagrees). It’s like the Seiko 5 of the gun world; affordable, end of the world reliable (after breakin? More on that..) it’s robust, and it’s a .308 battle rifle.

I ran 60 rounds through it today and the preban that came with it is considerably damaged (looks like it caught a ricochet?), so only 10 round increments and even that was questionable. A few light strikes, from what I have concluded was the bolt not fully returning to battery. PTR recommends an initial cleaning (whoops!) and a break in of 200-300 rounds (gotta find some ammo!!). Nonetheless, it’s far more accurate than anticipated, relatively soft shooting, and an absolute blast. I regret nothing!

This, is also the bull barrel model with a “free floated”? barrel, and aluminum m-lok handguard. It doesn’t seem overly heavy to me (perhaps all my other guns are fattys?) or maybe some people need to pick up a weight now and then *cough* Nuttinfancy *cough*.

It’s stiff, it’s not refined, it’s robust (heavy, you wimps) it’s easy (for me) to use, and it’s surprisingly accurate. Reliability is yet to be seen. The only thing that needs getting used to, is magazine rock in/insertion.

I stand by my original assertion; I think I’m in love. This endeavor also popped my “littleton mill” cherry. Lots of first timers there and while the staff at the suite I was in were doing their best and were incredibly knowledgeable, it was both humorous and cringeworthy at the same time.

Also, watching the wife shoot it was considerably pleasant.

Edit- 9 holes review of this exact rifle out to 800 yds.

View: https://youtu.be/aFlcLCnr0XQ

Last edited:
While I can't flex like you with the ptr version, I have the century arms version.
Its a ptr receiver and barrel if I remember correctly.
Its been a hella reliable and accurate shooter until I added the magpul pro stock.
So I'm kinda fiddling with it still.
Feed it steel, it loves it.
I compared the accuracy with match ammo, and there is not much difference.

I needs to find some steel!! They’re not kidding, it chuck brass in to next Tuesday, or right on top of my shoulder. Bastard. Yes, Century Arms uses PTR receivers, barrels, I don’t know, but I believe PTR buys barrel blanks from Green Mountain.
Any breakin period for you, or light primer strikes?

Edit- not flexing, just waited and got lucky with timing in finding what I wanted. Perhaps paid a bit too much, especially given the current climate, but all things considered I think I got a decent deal and would make it again.

Last edited:
I needs to find some steel!! They’re not kidding, it chicks brass in to next Tuesday, or right on top of my shoulder. Bastard. Yes, Century Arms uses PTR receivers, barrels, I don’t know, but I believe PTR buys barrel blanks from Green Mountain.
Any breakin period for you, or light primer strikes?
Only after the magpul stock.
You have to get the real G3 rear bracket and recoil spring to make it fit correctly.
In doing that, you have to change the rear buffer from a cetme to g3 as well. Which is smaller, and has a smaller contact patch.
With that combo, I'm getting consistent light strikes after 1 and 2 trigger pulls and jams and double feeds. I think I need to sand down the plastic ring on the end of the recoil rod more.
With the same magazines I used before the stock mod and never had any double feeds and maybe 2 in 50 light strikes on the first trigger pull. Hit it again for a 2nd time and it fires

Only after the magpul stock.
You have to get the real G3 rear bracket and recoil spring to make it fit correctly.
In doing that, you have to change the rear buffer from a cetme to g3 as well. Which is smaller, and has a smaller contact patch.
With that combo, I'm getting consistent light strikes after 1 and 2 trigger pulls and jams and double feeds. I think I need to sand down the plastic ring on the end of the recoil rod more.
With the same magazines I used before the stock mod and never had any double feeds and maybe 2 in 50 light strikes on the first trigger pull. Hit it again for a 2nd time and it fires

Everything it chucked with a light strike (even in the puddles) fired on the second go, so it wasn’t the ammo. I’m unfamiliar with the various buffers and stocks. Though the Sphur seems intriguing and expensive.

The only thing that needs getting used to, is magazine rock in/insertion.

Its a lot easier than people think. You just need to understand the concept. Looks like on a G3 mag, there's a female recess on the front of the mag. So, you're locking the mag into a lug in the rifle, unlike say an AK or FAL mag, where the lug is on the mag. Match the recess with the lug and snap the mag in. Each kind of rock-and-lock mag has a best way to hold the mag. With an AK mag, I hold the mag body sort of in a gentle chokehold above the middle of the mag body. With a FAL mag, I usually hold the mag by the bottom.

Spend about 30-60 minutes a day for a week or more doing dry fire --> malfunction clear/rack the charging handle --> mag change --> chamber new round drills. Put like one snap cap in two, three, four mags and practice. Do it in different stances, too, like standing and prone.

For the average shooter, the time difference between rock-and-lock and straight-in mags is a marginal difference once someone gets used to rock-and-lock. The real time suck on a gun like the PTR/G3/HK 91 is the more intense recoil, both from the cartridge and roller-delayed blowback operation. InRange did a Battle Rifle Comparison and in terms of time, the G3-pattern gun was dead last 8/8. The G3 isn't a fast gun, its a reliable gun.

Its a lot easier than people think. You just need to understand the concept. Looks like on a G3 mag, there's a female recess on the front of the mag. So, you're locking the mag into a lug in the rifle, unlike say an AK or FAL mag, where the lug is on the mag. Match the recess with the lug and snap the mag in. Each kind of rock-and-lock mag has a best way to hold the mag. With an AK mag, I hold the mag body sort of in a gentle chokehold above the middle of the mag body. With a FAL mag, I usually hold the mag by the bottom.

Spend about 30-60 minutes a day for a week or more doing dry fire --> malfunction clear/rack the charging handle --> mag change --> chamber new round drills. Put like one snap cap in two, three, four mags and practice. Do it in different stances, too, like standing and prone.

For the average shooter, the time difference between rock-and-lock and straight-in mags is a marginal difference once someone gets used to rock-and-lock. The real time suck on a gun like the PTR/G3/HK 91 is the more intense recoil, both from the cartridge and roller-delayed blowback operation. InRange did a Battle Rifle Comparison and in terms of time, the G3-pattern gun was dead last 8/8. The G3 isn't a fast gun, its a reliable gun.

Wife is already giving me the side eye as I continue to insert the lone mag I have. You’re right there. With regards to the recoil and timing, the impulse isn’t noticeably more than an AR. Follow up is maybe a little faster with the an AR however, having put 150 and 180 gn. .308 Soft points (thank you walmart) as well as M80 ball 7.62x51 through it, I’m having a hard time distinguishing the intense recoil many talk about.

Wife is already giving me the side eye as I continue to insert the lone mag I have. You’re right there. With regards to the recoil and timing, the impulse isn’t noticeably more than an AR. Follow up is maybe a little faster with the an AR however, having put 150 and 180 gn. .308 Soft points (thank you walmart) as well as M80 ball 7.62x51 through it, I’m having a hard time distinguishing the intense recoil many talk about.

The recoil on semi-auto guns in 7.62 NATO isn't "intense", its more like a shove to the shoulder. Full-power 7.62 NATO semi-autos are also generally bigger guns, so there's a lot of mass moving around. That mass transfers energy into the shooter. Think about a M1 or M14-style op-rod, that's a big piece of metal slamming back and forth, driving the bolt, and that momentum gets sent into the shooter. Which makes time between getting back on target longer with something in 7.62 NATO in comparison to an AR or AK in either 7.62x39 or especially 5.45x39.

If you ever really want see the difference in recoil, take your PTR out to a 2-gun or 3-gun match. That'll also help you decide on what accessories or changes you want.

Accessories will most likely include a bipod and a 2.5-10 x 44 FFP scope. Eotechs are on sale... A three gun piece this is not, additionally, If memory serves me, .308 3-gun is aptly named ‘heavy’, no?

Back
Top Bottom