• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New 600yd range at Pelham Fish and Game

I would post pics on here but the site is giving me fits, the pics are under 600kb.... GRRRR!
In any case Id like to thank Bob Greenwood for his dedication and seeing this project to completion.

The range is 24 firing points and will be a challenge from what we have seen from shooting the 600 yard line so far.
It is by far the widest range I have been on in New England. I think Dave L. said it best "We are so blessed to have so many Across the course ranges so close to us in S. NH"

I'm going to try and post the pics in s a separate thread, if not I'll post a link to the pics we have posted on NHHPRL.

For the pictures, I use "Firefox" for a browser... and if you right click the pic and do "view" they enlarge. For some reason my Internet Explorer 11 does not work the same.
Sorry.... hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited:
I had to miss the Maiden Match at Pelham due to being away at the beach for the weekend but I got a tour a few weeks ago from Bob G and he was very rightfully Beaming with Pride.....

He and a few others at Pelham have been working very hard for a very long time to make this range happen.
He was looking for volunteers to help him run the line and pits at CMP and NRA Rifle matches. Dave L and I said we would help as I'm sure many other NFGA and Reading Rifle CMP/NRA Rifle Competitors would be willing to do.

Now the next step in the hard part of having a range like this..... KEEPING IT OPEN...
Like any other club in the Northeast all rounds must stay on the range.
We still get people asking if they can come shoot their AK47's and Class III stuff at NFGA's 600 yard line..... amazing!

What a lot of people do no realize, these ranges are usually only available for organized events only, matches and practices. I'm sure the new range at Pelham is no exception.

I had to miss the Maiden Match at Pelham due to being away at the beach for the weekend but I got a tour a few weeks ago from Bob G and he was very rightfully Beaming with Pride.....

He and a few others at Pelham have been working very hard for a very long time to make this range happen.
He was looking for volunteers to help him run the line and pits at CMP and NRA Rifle matches. Dave L and I said we would help as I'm sure many other NFGA and Reading Rifle CMP/NRA Rifle Competitors would be willing to do.

Now the next step in the hard part of having a range like this..... KEEPING IT OPEN...
Like any other club in the Northeast all rounds must stay on the range.
We still get people asking if they can come shoot their AK47's and Class III stuff at NFGA's 600 yard line..... amazing!

I'm very happy this finally happened. Bob G. put in a lot of effort and I'm glad to see it paid off.
Range looks great!

What direction does it face?

Pat,
The range faces due south.

For any of the match shooters that shot the match.

How was the light on the targets?

How was the wind?
( on that big open range by northeast range standards )

This project goes back many years to John Belanger...it was his dream, John passed away soon after it got started. Bob Greenwood got it back on track and Pelham invested big time. It isn't cheap to do this stuff. I hope Pelham puts a schedule together and runs some matches. The guys at Reading and I'm sure all high power shooters would support what ever they need. It sure looks like wind will be a factor :)

The light on the targets was surprisingly good, Pelham can't start shooting till 9:00am (At least currently, this may change to 8:00am next year?)
For us lefty's the light was a concern, but by 9:00am it was high enough and not even and issue, targets had good light on them and no shadows across any targets.

Bob is also working on getting benches in the pits, in the mean time he will provide folding metal chairs or you can bring your own.

This looks beautiful! I guess I'll have to pencil in an additional match or two in the future! (you know, in addition to the one or two I actually get out to shoot!) [wink]

I’m glad everyone likes therange.
I would like to thank theBOD and members of Pelham for this range without them this never would havebeen built. Thanks go out to Mitch K andthe directors for pushing this along. Veryspecial thanks has to go to Dave F our project manager for this range, he linedup the contractors and had them working throughout the winter to get thiscompleted.
I started to push for thisrange in the early 90’s and like a lot of you I never thought it would becompleted while I could still stand and hold a rifle.
Charlieyou are correct there is wind on the range.
Patthe light is not an issue from what I have seen so far. The target carries wentin on Father’s Day so we haven’t had much experience with the light.
Right now we don’t havebenches in the pits, there will be folding chairs in the pits for the timebeing or you can bring your own.

Bob Greenwood

Bob, you have done a great job, you can be proud of the extensive time and effort you put forth in this accomplishment. The range looks great, I enjoyed shooting last Sunday and look forward to having many more memorable matches at Pelham. My hat is off to you for all your persistence.

I’m glad everyone likes therange.
I would like to thank theBOD and members of Pelham for this range without them this never would havebeen built. Thanks go out to Mitch K andthe directors for pushing this along. Veryspecial thanks has to go to Dave F our project manager for this range, he linedup the contractors and had them working throughout the winter to get thiscompleted.
I started to push for thisrange in the early 90’s and like a lot of you I never thought it would becompleted while I could still stand and hold a rifle.
Charlieyou are correct there is wind on the range.
Patthe light is not an issue from what I have seen so far. The target carries wentin on Father’s Day so we haven’t had much experience with the light.
Right now we don’t havebenches in the pits, there will be folding chairs in the pits for the timebeing or you can bring your own.

Bob Greenwood
This is awesome Bob. I would love to be able to use this range. Any idea on how we go about qualifying and what the club rules will be in order to use it?

We are pretty fortunate here in the Northeast: I now have 5 full-course high-power ranges within a two hours drive of my dooryard.

Back
Top Bottom