• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New 600yd range at Pelham Fish and Game

We are pretty fortunate here in the Northeast: I now have 5 full-course high-power ranges within a two hours drive of my dooryard.

Pat, Agreed, We are very fortunate indeed!

Charlie, Bob and I were discussing getting Pelham into the hosting of the Northeast Regional Championship Rotation.
I had sent an email to you Rocky and Dave to get your thoughts on it.

I was suggesting;
2012 was Scarborough
2013 was NFGA NH
2014 was Reading
2015 Scarborough
2016 Pelham NH
2017 Reading
2018 Scarborough
2019 NFGA NH
2020 Reading
2021 Scarborough
2022 Pelham
2023 Reading

Hampden Maine is a haul from Nashua and Reading but maybe Hampden would like to get in in the rotation.
Provided we are all still kicking..... lol

Last edited:
Pat, Agreed, We are very fortunate indeed!

Charlie, Bob and I were discussing getting Pelham into the hosting of the Northeast Regional Championship Rotation.
I had sent an email to you Rocky and Dave to get your thoughts on it.

I was suggesting;
2012 was Scarborough
2013 was NFGA NH
2014 was Reading
2015 Scarborough
2016 Pelham NH
2017 Reading
2018 Scarborough
2019 NFGA NH
2020 Reading
2021 Scarborough
2022 Pelham
2023 Reading

Hampden Maine is a haul from Nashua and Reading but maybe Hampden would like to get in in the rotation.
Provided we are all still kicking..... lol

That rotation looks good to me. I'll ask Dave D., but I don't think Hampden has an interest in hosting a Regional. Anybody "from away" (outside of Maine) would really need to spend the night and I think it would could down on attendance.

you lucky guys

All of you guys north of Boston are very lucky to have 600 yd ranges that are shooting actively. There is a 300 yd range not far from me down plymouth mass but doest do much for matches.
Old colony in Pembroke does 200 with 5 stations. After that down se mass isxpretty quiet. Some day I hope to make a swing through all the 600 yd ranges in the north east. Next year is looking quiet in my personal life so I may get to more than 1 or 2 matches.....

Bob ran the 1st 80 round match last Sunday.
It was disappointing that only 6 of us showed up to shoot.

Understanding though as some were still at Perry and others were probably home resting from the Perry journey.

This was my 1st time shooting on the new range. The light on the targets was very good.
You definitely have to pay attention to range wind indications and twist the wind knob a bit more than NFGA or Reading which is great!

If you go to http://www.pelhamfishandgame.org/ and click down into the Highpower section there are some range pics and the scores from last Sunday are up already

George

What a lot of people do no realize, these ranges are usually only available for organized events only, matches and practices. I'm sure the new range at Pelham is no exception.

Does anyone know how this works at Pelham? Can a member shoot on his own at 600 yards once he has officially qualified at that distance?

I was planning on attending, but I decided I needed to take the weekend off. (Perry wiped me out this year.) I'll make the next one.

Does anyone know how this works at Pelham? Can a member shoot on his own at 600 yards once he has officially qualified at that distance?

The member first needs to be qualified for the 600 yd range.

At this time, the range rules require a club RSO qualified for the 600 yard range to be present in order for anybody to shoot on the 600 yard range, as per the discussions during the last board meeting.

Not sure if the RSO can shoot while another 600yd range qualified non-RSO member acts as an RSO.

Bob ran the 1st 80 round match last Sunday.

Understanding though as some were still at Perry and others were probably home resting from the Perry journey.

This was my 1st time shooting on the new range. The light on the targets was very good.
You definitely have to pay attention to range wind indications and twist the wind knob a bit more than NFGA or Reading which is great!

If you go to http://www.pelhamfishandgame.org/ and click down into the Highpower section there are some range pics and the scores from last Sunday are up already

George

I've missed quite a few matches these last few months. Work, and vacation. I should be back on the range soon I hope.

I've missed quite a few matches these last few months. Work, and vacation. I should be back on the range soon I hope.

Mike,

If you can only make one match this weekend make it the NFGA EIC match on Sunday!

I hope you can make the NFGA NRA 80 tomorrow but if you can only do one Sunday is the bigger day!

George

600 Yard Qualifications completed today, I am completely impressed with the range facility. And I'm the Club VP
I have been walking and running in and thru it for many years.
The last time I shot at these distances was in boot camp
It is everything and more 24 positions at 200, 300, 500 & 600 with sun, wind etc.
Come join us.

600 Yard Qualifications completed today.

Can anyone who was there provide more information about the qualification process... number of rounds fired per person, shooting position (seated, prone, with a bipod, etc.)?

If someone fails at 600, are they still qualified and able to use the range at the previous distances where they were successful?

Can anyone who was there provide more information about the qualification process... number of rounds fired per person, shooting position (seated, prone, with a bipod, etc.)?

If someone fails at 600, are they still qualified and able to use the range at the previous distances where they were successful?
I was at the first qual but didn't shoot. The answer to your second question is no. You must qual for the whole range to be able to use it at all.
Pretty sure I know the answer to the first but I'm not positive so I'll let the guys that know answer.

I was at the first qual but didn't shoot. The answer to your second question is no. You must qual for the whole range to be able to use it at all.Pretty sure I know the answer to the first but I'm not positive so I'll let the guys that know answer.

Wow. It's all or nothing, huh?

Do they run the qualification like a high power match with each person taking turns pulling and marking targets while others in that lane shoot and score shots with a spotting scope?

If it's "high power oriented," then maybe bipods and other rifle rests would not be allowed, but hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

It's not that hard to hit a 600 yard target, even without a bipod or rest. What is essential is a sling, knowing your come-ups, having a spotting scope, having top-notch ammo, and having someone pull the targets and mark it for you.

Hitting the 10-ring at 600 yards? Now that is hard to repeatedly, particularly on a windy day.

Wow. It's all or nothing, huh?

Do they run the qualification like a high power match with each person taking turns pulling and marking targets while others in that lane shoot and score shots with a spotting scope?

If it's "high power oriented," then maybe bipods and other rifle rests would not be allowed, but hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

Yes, half the shooters work the pit while the other half shoots.

One must shoot prone, but beyond that, there are no restrictions on equipment - sandbags, bipods, scopes, muzzle brakes, etc. are all allowed.

Last edited:
16 or so people showed up and all qualified. Great morning for everybody involved... and got to see some really good long range shooting.

My thanks to the people running the quals and to all the people who worked hard to make this range a reality - it is a great place to shoot.

The third (and last for now) set of qualifications ran the live fire yesterday - congrats to the newly qualified Pelham members, including (shameless plug) my 14 year old daughter.

Looking forward to starting to use that range in earnest.

It'd be great if more highpower rifle competitors were recruited because of this new range.

The last NH HighPower Rifle League match of 2014 will be held at Pelham tomorrow ( Sat 10/18 ) with a 9am start.

Weather is looking GREAT and I know Bob is hoping for a good turnout!

I'll be there...

The last NH HighPower Rifle League match of 2014 will be held at Pelham tomorrow ( Sat 10/18 ) with a 9am start.

Weather is looking GREAT and I know Bob is hoping for a good turnout!

I'll be there...

Reading has a work day tomorrow, so I suspect most of us will not be able to make it.

Wish I could make it to the work day, but I'm shooting the New Hampshire Live Free or Die IDPA state championship! (don't tell John Caulmare!)

Are there any restrictions on what you can shoot there? 50BMG?

Yes, .35 or less (if I recall correctly - no time to look the range rules up right now) at this time in order to ease the new range in with the neighbors (according to the BoD). Plans exist to change that in the future to allow all calibers... but no firm dates as of now.

It's a beautiful range...

We just moved to Pelham and I'm getting back into high power after a 10 year hiatus because of the 600 yard range [smile]
It's been so long my shooing coat shrunk...........yeah that's it....
Our orientation is the 29th of april, I hope to qual for the range soon after!

Back
Top Bottom